Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 e63 amg
2007 e63 amg head bolts

Hello I recently purchased a 2007 e63 amg
I was wondering what some of you folks changed when doing the headbolts
I’m located in ct if anyone knows good shops in ct Ma or ny thank you
Old 05-15-2024 | 02:37 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2004 Crossfire (w/M113K), 2008 Crossfire (w/M156), 2008 CL63, 2008 ML63, 2018 AMG GT
I just did this with two different engines. New valve cover and cam phaser block gaskets are highly recommended. I also changed spark plugs, as everything was apart. The thing you'll really need to look at are the cams themselves and the cam followers/lifers/lash adjusters/buckets/whatever your terminology is. On older engines, it is quite common to find them to be worn. I had one engine where it all looked great, and another with fewer miles, but 5 cam followers showing undesirable wear patterns. Cams were fine in both engines.

I broke the cam phaser bolts loose before I took it all apart on one, and on the other I made alignment marks on the cam and front cam caps to line it up. In both cases, I still wound up needing the cam timing fixture. Also, I use a letter & number stamp set, and I stamp all of my cam caps for position number and labeled "I" and "E" for intake and exhaust. I also use this for orientation. There are other ways of telling, but numbering (from front main cap) 1 through 5 makes it dead simple.

Lastly, you will make a mess with this. Oil will dump onto the exhaust, and all down the front of the engine. I put rags where I could to sop up what I knew would leak. You'll need a lot of brake cleaner to get it all off the exhaust, and control the burning oil smoke.
The following users liked this post:
mbwillgrubs (05-16-2024)