Sponsored by:

New Motor Trend (E55 vs. M5)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 07:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 ML55, 2006 C6 Z06
This post is hilarious.

Can anyone scan and post the Top Gear article?

There is another good read on that board titled, "Nordschleife: BMW M5 sucks". Click here.

Last edited by RossN; 11-24-2004 at 07:05 AM.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:09 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mardeth
100 is around my average on a highway, on smaller roads it is quite insane but far from doable if your driving a car that can handle ie. M5 and not E55. I dont know about your slowass highways but 124 is far from insanity on highways, not something I recommend doing daily thought...

Heh, the average on the highways here is around a steady 80 unless someone gets in the left lane, then it drops significantly, but most Texas drivers know by now. Construction always slows us down considerably. Smaller roads here, well, Home Owner ****'s probably already have it out for me.

I dont know what your smoking but expecting the M5 to beat the E55 by a second in 0 to 60 is just stupid (I know Im sugar coating but this is a moderated forum).

They've had a good two year jump on us, they better have something up their sleeves! Maybe the V10 is actually turbo charged?

Frankly from 0 to anything is not really important, rolling starts are what matter to me and there the M5 shines and completely "owns" the E55 from what Ive seen. As always looks are subjective, subjective and once again subjective. I like it you dont, get over it. I dont ***** and moan about the CLS looks even thought I dont like it...

Here it's fiercely important. I've never seen a stoplight where it's possible to roll through at the exact moment. When you see the other car and you pull next to it, that's the final showdown. There's no second chances, there's no prepping the tires or tuning the ECU. The light goes green and it's off.

From what you've seen, it's mighty fine that the M5 with it's extra two gears can win agianst the E55. It better and I'm not expecting anything less. It's just sad that in many other tests, it comes up short, if coming up at all. If the car was a beauty (take the SL500) for example, then it's understandable.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RossN
7 cars there, 2 crashed, 1 blew it's engine, repeated brake failures, 2 blown clutches, a marvel of engineering! I bet someone at BMW got fired that day.

I wonder how those drivers felt climbing into the car after the repeated brake failures? "Better take it easy boys, don't want to end up in the wall!"

Must have been the driver's fault??? All of them.
What? Where? When?

RossN both lead to the same post?

Same article: "On every objective scale, the new M5 obliterates. It takes what we previously considered supercars and belittles them, patronises them into insignificance with the kind of confidence born of constant measurement and, possibly, coloured graphs. It is obsessive in its superiority and complete in its authority."

vraa, I dont do stoplight races... Am I boring? Probably, but frankly there is no one to do it with.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:02 AM

05 E55, 03 Z4 3.0
100 is around my average on a highway, on smaller roads it is quite insane but far from doable if your driving a car that can handle ie. M5 and not E55. I dont know about your slowass highways but 124 is far from insanity on highways, not something I recommend doing daily thought...

I dont know what your smoking but expecting the M5 to beat the E55 by a second in 0 to 60 is just stupid (I know Im sugar coating but this is a moderated forum).

Frankly from 0 to anything is not really important, rolling starts are what matter to me and there the M5 shines and completely "owns" the E55 from what Ive seen. As always looks are subjective, subjective and once again subjective. I like it you dont, get over it. I dont ***** and moan about the CLS looks even thought I dont like it...
You have 0, repeat 0 facts. Until there is a side by side comparison (like the one in motor trend minus the “estimates”), or the car gets here, you’ve “seen” nothing.

The M5 will be faster, and it will most likely be an insignificant amount in both 0-60, ¼ mile, and 40 – 100. Yes, I am sure the gap widens at higher speeds, but hopefully not everyone thinks it is ok to do 125 on local roads, even if your car can handle it (I hope to god you were kidding)

Try to be half as smart as you think you are, wait for the car to be tested and compared appropriately before you go making claims the company for which you are a zealot can’t back up.

I really don’t get why you come here with this M5 is better than E55 crap. Do you ever ask yourself “what do I hope to accomplish?”. It is like a liberal and a conservative arguing, they can do it all day long , but in the end neither side will change the other sides view. Why, because not just looks are subjective, so is what you want out of a car, what part of performance is important, how you feel you are perceived in a certain brand, the importance of amenities and comfort…..

Due to the context of the forum, it seems these people have made their choice go tout that stuff on the m5board or bimmer.org (now roadfly)
Old 11-24-2004, 09:28 AM

I saw thread some where with the stats on (Sport Auto article) this forum but now Ive lost it! Its had the facts...Arg...

1/4 mile will be won by the E55. 0 to 60 will be pretty equal, sometimes the E55 on another the M5.

I still dont understand that you dont want to hear anything from BMWs point of view even thought were discussing the car, whats the use if only one side is represented? If you want to ignore anything written by a BMW fan boy it can easily done by not clicking on topic thats includes the word "M5". And whats this stuff about me trying to sell the car to you? If I call your mom names and you defend her, its not like your trying to sell her to me, right?
Old 11-24-2004, 09:33 AM

2002 ML55, 2006 C6 Z06
What? Where? When?

RossN both lead to the same post?
Sorry, that picture was from the thread by Beowulf.

Last edited by RossN; 11-24-2004 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:35 AM

05 E55, 03 Z4 3.0
I still dont understand that you dont want to hear anything from BMWs point of view even thought were discussing the car, whats the use if only one side is represented? If you want to ignore anything written by a BMW fan boy it can easily done by not clicking on topic thats includes the word "M5". And whats this stuff about me trying to sell the car to you? If I call your mom names and you defend her, its not like your trying to sell her to me, right?
I want to hear the BMW ppoint of view, I'm on the list for a new M5 and will buy it. I don't want to hear how it is better than the E55 because it's not, it's different.

PS That thread wasn't with the sport auto was quite flawed, they used the E55 Estate which is 200kg heavier.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DRCrowder
You have 0, repeat 0 facts. Until there is a side by side comparison (like the one in motor trend minus the “estimates”), or the car gets here, you’ve “seen” nothing.

The M5 will be faster, and it will most likely be an insignificant amount in both 0-60, ¼ mile, and 40 – 100. Yes, I am sure the gap widens at higher speeds, but hopefully not everyone thinks it is ok to do 125 on local roads, even if your car can handle it (I hope to god you were kidding)

Try to be half as smart as you think you are, wait for the car to be tested and compared appropriately before you go making claims the company for which you are a zealot can’t back up.

I really don’t get why you come here with this M5 is better than E55 crap. Do you ever ask yourself “what do I hope to accomplish?”. It is like a liberal and a conservative arguing, they can do it all day long , but in the end neither side will change the other sides view. Why, because not just looks are subjective, so is what you want out of a car, what part of performance is important, how you feel you are perceived in a certain brand, the importance of amenities and comfort…..

Due to the context of the forum, it seems these people have made their choice go tout that stuff on the m5board or bimmer.org (now roadfly)
Very, very wisely put.

I saw thread some where with the stats on (Sport Auto article) this forum but now Ive lost it! Its had the facts...Arg...

1/4 mile will be won by the E55. 0 to 60 will be pretty equal, sometimes the E55 on another the M5.

I don't understand. Regardless if you're trying to sell us the car or not, why is it that you have to bring all your M5 rhetoric to this forum? If you're such a fan, go to a BMW site. Sure, you may think that some of the stuff we say is ignorant and bias, but we own E55's because we WANT E55's. We're not stupid. We know what both cars are capable of yet we still choose the E55. Its a point of perspective. So, until you understand this I say you take your mindless rant and rave and incredibly stupid analogies - elsewhere.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:30 PM

Lexus GS 450h
Originally Posted by RossN
7 cars there, 2 crashed, 1 blew it's engine, repeated brake failures, 2 blown clutches, a marvel of engineering! I bet someone at BMW got fired that day.

I wonder how those drivers felt climbing into the car after the repeated brake failures? "Better take it easy boys, don't want to end up in the wall!"

Must have been the driver's fault??? All of them.
You sure that is a wrecked one? Looks fine to me. Bangle sure can make cars that make you

Anyway for ANYONE in the know, Motor Trend has gone downhill very quickly since I think Primedia took over. I don't think C. Van TUne is editor anymore. They test too many SUVs/Trucks and give every car a good review and every car has their fastest times in their magazine.

And yes, the M3 vs Vette vs BoxsterS decision made NO SENSE whatsover.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Eleanor Owner

I don't understand. Regardless if you're trying to sell us the car or not, why is it that you have to bring all your M5 rhetoric to this forum? If you're such a fan, go to a BMW site. Sure, you may think that some of the stuff we say is ignorant and bias, but we own E55's because we WANT E55's. We're not stupid. We know what both cars are capable of yet we still choose the E55. Its a point of perspective. So, until you understand this I say you take your mindless rant and rave and incredibly stupid analogies - elsewhere.
Regardless of this being a MB forum there are topics like this, with people intrested in the M5 so I try to shed some light. So talking about the M5 is relevant, is it not. Before I read this forum for a long time and once made the mistake of registering for whatever reason, which made it a lot more tempting to post when I saw someone was in my opinion wrong. I tried to correct them, answer their question and what not whitch seems to have lead to this situation.

Like it or not, Im going to post about the M5, in threads about the M5, made by E55 owners until there are none or Im banned because I dare to disagree. Ive tried to be resonable and explained myself numberous times, but since it doesnt seem to make any difference, Ill stop...
Old 11-24-2004, 04:46 PM

05 E55, 03 Z4 3.0
Regardless of this being a MB forum there are topics like this, with people intrested in the M5 so I try to shed some light. So talking about the M5 is relevant, is it not. Before I read this forum for a long time and once made the mistake of registering for whatever reason, which made it a lot more tempting to post when I saw someone was in my opinion wrong. I tried to correct them, answer their question and what not whitch seems to have lead to this situation.

Like it or not, Im going to post about the M5, in threads about the M5, made by E55 owners until there are none or Im banned because I dare to disagree. Ive tried to be resonable and explained myself numberous times, but since it doesnt seem to make any difference, Ill stop...
Your opinion is welcome; your arrogance can be left at the door…
Old 11-24-2004, 09:15 PM

2004 C32 AMG
Back on track here - Regardless of performance specs, etc, I would choose a E55 any day over a M5. I see a classiness in the E55 that I just don't see in the M5.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 CLS55 AMG
It looks better crashed!
Old 11-25-2004, 04:29 AM

"It happened saturday afternoon at the Ascari curve (Monza, potential buyers got to drive), with DSC on. The driver is ok."

Two videos of the same event:

www.caporali.191.it/IoM5.avi
www.caporali.191.it/IoM5grigia.avi
Old 11-25-2004, 09:15 PM

2004 E55 tectite grey/charcoal
I am sure the M5 will be a great car when it is actually tested, until then everything is pure speculation. I own both MB and BMW cars and admire many different brands of cars but personally I don't care how great the new M5 is, I won't be buying it because it looks like an ugly Pontiac.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:39 PM
Almost a Member!

wow, it's been a while since i've posted here, been busy with school and everything...

what i'm about to write is MY opinion, and MY opinion alone; if you don't agree with me, feel free to state why, if you want me to clarify something, feel free to ask:

I've read through this thread, and i've noticed that a lot of you are concerned that the M5 just wouldn't be enjoyable as the E55 here in the United States because of our low speed limits.

I believe this should be reversed. The E55 wouldn't be as enjoyable as the M5 here in the United States because of our low speed limits.

Since our speeds here in the US are mostly between zero to 100 mph, and since the M5 is more involving between those speeds (better gearbox, albiet not a true manual, more gears, boarder rev range), I believe that a driver would have more fun in the M5 than the E55.

With the E55, its emphasis is on its top end, being able to cruise comfortably all day at 155mph. Isn't this percisely the problem in the US, we can't exactly cruise daily at 155mph. Yes, it does have loads of torque down low, but its acceleration times are effectively the same as the M5's.

So with the E55, getting up to speed isn't all that exiciting, whereas on the M5, getting up to speed means reving the engine, "dropping it into first" (Launch Control), listening to the howl of the V10 shooting to redline, nailing a shift to second at redline, then to third to fourth, going up half way through fifth, then straight up to seventh and cruising. From that, i would've had my dosage of fun, and would be content at crusing at that point. Whereas on the E55 I wouldn't have heard the engine howling, I would've only nailed 3 shifts, and I wouldn't be as content with the "fun" I just had. Therefore, I would want to go faster.. and I can't.

case in point, I just brought a cheap ~180ish hp 5spd car for use as a daily driver in addition to a ~300hp V8 automatic cruiser. For everyday driving, I've been having a lot more fun with the 5spd than with the V8, simply because it's just so much involving to drive. Yes, on long highway trips from Sacramento to LA, where I generally average 120MPH on hwy5 between cities, the V8 would be the car I would want to drive, but for everyday driving around town and short highway trips, I'll pick the 5spd in a heartbeat.