Sponsored by:

Just Ordered OEM AMG LSD System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Just Ordered OEM AMG LSD System

Just pulled the "trigger" on the AGM LSD system for my 04 E55. It will be shipped straight to my dealer in a few months for the install. Spoke to my MB Service Manager and he thought it was a great idea. Looking forward to seeing the improvement my stock beast will have. It's a shame that we can not order this car with LSD as a option in the US. Should have a big improvement on 0-60 and 1/4 times. The best think about this upgrade is that it is a OEM AMG system which will make the car more appealing to a future buyer if and when I sell it.

I would not be suprised if I see performance numbers being the same or better as modded (ECU/Pulley) cars but still running bone stock

A special thanks goes out to Harris for making this happen for owners in the US!

Have a safe trip back from Germany
Old 11-30-2004, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Where did you get it ? Price ?
Old 11-30-2004, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 ML63; 05 E55 (sold)
Excuse my ignorance on technical matters, but how does the limited slip differential work and how does it increase performance?
Old 11-30-2004, 07:56 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by 04E55 AMG
Just pulled the "trigger" on the AGM LSD system for my 04 E55. It will be shipped straight to my dealer in a few months for the install. Spoke to my MB Service Manager and he thought it was a great idea. Looking forward to seeing the improvement my stock beast will have. It's a shame that we can not order this car with LSD as a option in the US. Should have a big improvement on 0-60 and 1/4 times. The best think about this upgrade is that it is a OEM AMG system which will make the car more appealing to a future buyer if and when I sell it.

I would not be suprised if I see performance numbers being the same or better as modded (ECU/Pulley) cars but still running bone stock

A special thanks goes out to Harris for making this happen for owners in the US!

Have a safe trip back from Germany
I've been thinking about the same thing and have been communicating with Harris, as well. I asked him a number of questions regarding the LSD, including:

Does installation of the LSD void the factory warranty?

Is there a separate AMG warranty?

Shipping weight?

Does it utilize the same gears as the stock diff? If not, what is the gearing
ratio? Are there choices available?

Lead time?

He said he'd ask the same questions of the AMG folks and get back to me.

For those interested in the cost, you need to email Harris @ hartonmotorw01@netnation.com

It ain't cheap, but I'd love to be able to switch off ESP and plant the throttle using LSD. From what I understand, this is the same LSD used in the SL65/CL65's.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Oh look... some OTHER than harris got the parts! Who knew!

Good work. I would consider this for my car. Can you disclose your source?

I love venders who blow hot air about parts that are not sold to the public and how cool they are for getting them. Well look little joe shmoe got the part. And I am glad to see it happen.

Enjoy the diff! As an E55 owner I know it needs it!
Old 11-30-2004, 08:50 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32

Good work. I would consider this for my car. Can you disclose your source?

I love venders who blow hot air about parts that are not sold to the public and how cool they are for getting them. Well look little joe shmoe got the part. And I am glad to see it happen.

Enjoy the diff! As an E55 owner I know it needs it!
Both 04E55 AMG and I have been talking with Harris and you say "Oh look... some OTHER than harris got the parts! Who knew!"

??? Care to explain?
Old 11-30-2004, 09:34 PM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350
beowulf,

if you get some answers from harris, please let me know. i asked him basically the same questions. thats why i did not pull the trigger on this just yet.

cheers,
Gareth
Old 11-30-2004, 10:02 PM

2005 Brilliant Silver E55
After speaking to the body shop manager, he stated that my car was actually not damaged too bad, mainly the doors and he said that I should not worry too much since the pillar was not damaged. Mostly interior, ie curtain and side airbags and the headliner is what cost the most. So, with this being said, I have decided to keep my E55 and keep modding.

Spero, can you give me a ring and let me know how much and how to get in touch with Harris? I, too will have the diff shipped to either HBL (not too hot about them right now...although Dave is a good guy) or ASC in Alexandria since I have an awesome relationship with my service writer and the tech.

After diff, I think I'm going to do the EVO or Kleemann headers.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:08 PM

Does installation of the LSD void the factory warranty?

MB Service Manager told me since it is a AMG part that he does not consider it aftermarket, therefore warranty not void. Need to remember that this is the same unit that people in Germany have as a option when ordering the car from the dealer.

Is there a separate AMG warranty?

Not Sure

Shipping weight?

Harris informed me that cost to ship to East Coast would be about $110

Does it utilize the same gears as the stock diff? If not, what is the gearing
ratio? Are there choices available? AMG LSD system is ready to be installed. Complete swap out for stock diff. No ECU changes needed.

Lead time?

Takes several months once payment has been made. Looking at a Feb/Mar arrival @ dealership
Old 12-01-2004, 02:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Beowulf
Both 04E55 AMG and I have been talking with Harris and you say "Oh look... some OTHER than harris got the parts! Who knew!"

??? Care to explain?
Harris has told many board users that he does not have access to these parts yet but that he can get them in the future. So I doubt that he sourced these parts.

Harris speaks as if he is the only person under the sun capable of getting these parts and I am simply glad to see that other people are equally as skilled.

False claims bother me and when a vendor say hey im the only person around who has these he best be ready to back it up.

If Harris did infact did get this LSD to the buyer in question then I am wrong but it sure does not sound like it. Im always open to being proven wrong.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:49 AM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350
Hey Cyn,

Been reading quite a few posts from you lately. Just curious if there is anything you do like. Most of your posts are pretty damn negative man. Nothing personal, just curious if you have anything good to say about Mercedes or any of its products?

Cheers,
Gareth
Old 12-01-2004, 03:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anyone who knows me know I never make false claims. I do not want to jeapodize my reputation because I can make a fast sale. If anyone can find another way to get the same unit, be my guest, good luck to you. Time will tell whether I can get them or whether anyone else can get them. I will be the first one who will have the unit installed on my car.

As for all other questions that you guys have, I will answer them IN DETAIL once I am back from my Essen trip.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Question CynCarvin32

Originally Posted by CynCarvin32

Good work. I would consider this for my car. Can you disclose your source?!
I thought 04E55AMG got it through Harris therefore thanking him? Who's this OTHER source? Did I miss something or are you reading it wrong?

I believe that's why Beowulf is lost as well?!
Old 12-01-2004, 06:51 AM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by W210
I thought 04E55AMG got it through Harris therefore thanking him? Who's this OTHER source? Did I miss something or are you reading it wrong?

I believe that's why Beowulf is lost as well?!
Yep . . .

BTW, here's an interesting thread on the AMG LSD: http://www.amg-owners-club.org/board...?threadid=1787
Old 12-01-2004, 09:53 AM

For those interested in pricing, please contact Harris directly.

It sounds like everyone on this post has only spoken to Harris regarding the LSD system so I am not sure what others are talking about. I may be the only one so far who has actually ordered and paid for it since I wanted to make sure it is installed in my car by March. My gut tells me that we will not see to many AMG LSD systems in the states so I wanted to act fast.

BTW - For those who have never ordered from Harris, I have ordered things from him and he is very professional and delivers as promised. He is great in responding to emails, so just drop him a line with any questions. He is in Germany as I post this and he has emailed me several times over the past few days.

Alex, I agree that your car with AMG LSD and the Renntech mods that you already have should be scary. We saw you run 12.1 1/4 times without LSD and all that tire spin. You may get into the high 11's once you have the LSD installed

Last edited by 04E55 AMG; 12-01-2004 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:01 AM

I was thanking Harris and I did order and paid for it. I TRUST HIM!
Old 12-01-2004, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W215 CL600
Harris is a great guy and runs a very smooth business. I plan on purchasing some HRE wheels/tires from him in the near future.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:14 PM

Price guys? Ballpark at least? No need for secrecy here, we're all pretty deep pockets.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:32 PM

Being a business owner as most of us are, Harris does not give out prices on the board and he requested that I respect that business decision that he has for his company. Therefore I will honor that, I hope you understand. He is very good about responding to emails, so I am sure if anyone is interested in any of his products he will give you prices.

Never had a problem getting quotes from him.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:16 PM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350
Guys,

excuse my ignorance, but won't the LSD only help you in the turns and not in the straightaways?

i can see how it would help in the straight parts if you've bumped your horsepower up into stratosphere and you need a way to get all the power on the ground.

but won't the LSD make the E55 better in the turns, which all of us seem to talk about as one of the only downsides of our cars?

also, not sure if Harris told any of you this, but does it come with the software/mechanism to help the installer reprogram the ESP? because if it does not, then it's really no different from what Kleemann or Brabus can offer.

the AMG owners club link is very informative. i just would love to know if this blows my warranty or not. if it does not, it's a no brainer.

Gareth

Last edited by gmdebruyn; 12-01-2004 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
looks like i was wrong. my mistake. failed to see the part where the post said "in a few months". I thought it was there NOW and that seemed too odd in the first place.

Sorry Harris... sell away!

Enjoy the diff
Old 12-01-2004, 02:59 PM

Gareth,

Quick Def on LSD from Kleemann Web-Site

KLEEMANN Limited Slip Differential (LSD)

Better grip - Faster acceleration

Overflow of engine-power is no good if it cannot be transferred into wheel traction. Therefore KLEEMANN has developed a Limited Slip Differential (LSD) with a 60 percent locking mechanism, which means that the mechanical devise applies a 60 percent lock-up ratio between the two drive wheels. In contrast to a standard ESP-system a Limited Slip Differential (LSD) is a very sporty and high-performance approach to control wheel spin thereby improving the cars traction.

At no time will only one wheel receive all the engines´power and by powering both drive wheels at the same time, the engine power is distributed more evenly, hence reducing wheel spin and in the end lowering accelerations times significantly.

Using the KLEEMANN Limited Slip Differential (LSD) gives an imme-
diate result. Testing has shown that a Mercedes-Benz 55 AMG will drop as much as 0.3 second to 100 km/h with this modification alone.

The KLEEMANN Limited Slip Differential is available for all Mercedes-Benz models fitted with a "large housing" differential case. This means all models with V8 or V12-engine.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:17 PM

2005 E55, 2010 ML350
thanks 04E55,

how does the Kleemann LSD affect the ESP? does it need to be re-programmed or not? does Kleemann offer that if it does?

and does Kleemann offer a warranty on its LSD?

seems AMG's Differential (stock) is 80/20.
AMG LSD Harris is selling is 70/30.
Kleemann is 60/40.

What is the best ratio?

Thanks,
Gareth
Old 12-01-2004, 03:31 PM

Gareth,

I am not a expert, but I assume that AMG is less aggressive for a reason. Both great products, but the AMG system is a complete swap out. Does not
affect ESP and no re-programmng of the ECU.

I went with the OEM AMG system to keep everyhting stock.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:05 PM

The kleemann requires no ecu changes. It just causes it to come on later if at all because you are getting more mechanical traction, while esp and asr limit spin electronically. By adding mechanical traction the sensors do not signal to the computer to induce throttle control or some wheel braking scheme.

I hope this helps. The Kleeman is by far the most cost-efficient solution and has the best division of torque for straightline (computer free) take offs and aids in maintaining lateral balance in the turns as it helps the tires stay planted and therefore offer the most traction they can.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Just Ordered OEM AMG LSD System