Sponsored by:

Strange Yet Effective Way Of Changing Interior Odor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange Yet Effective Way Of Changing Interior Odor

On Thursday I got a car wash at Handy J on Ventura Blvd. Now usually they offer me the scents for the interior of the car, but I'm always reluctant to try it. Now that my car is about 6 months old, I've definitely lost my "new car smell" and now the interrior is just starting to smell flat out bad. I can't believe how naive I was, but I decided to try the "new car scent" that they offered. BAD IDEA. This is probably one of the most putrid smells I've ever encountered. Honestly, this stuff could be used by the army as chemical weaponry. The worst part was, it didn't even smell like a new car! It smelt like very, very cheap cologne. So, I figured as my last resort, I'd turn to one of my favorite available scents...cedar incense. Now I know its strange, but please people, I was desperate. I just let a cube of this stuff burn in my car and when it was done, I left all of the doors closed for the car to absorb the smell. Now, every time I get into my car I smell the wood burning fires of Aspen, Colorado. Add that to the list of reasons to want to go for a drive!
Old 12-05-2004, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
hey can u post lots of pics of eleanor

and u got 2 e55s, dayyymm. why tho? curious, post pics of those too, thanks
Old 12-05-2004, 03:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 ML55, 2006 C6 Z06
A good Leather cleaning and conditioning is always good for bringing back that new Leather smell.
Old 12-05-2004, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by vdubpower
hey can u post lots of pics of eleanor
and u got 2 e55s, dayyymm. why tho? curious, post pics of those too, thanks
You can find the stories behind each car here as well as a bunch of pictures: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bijan22

Originally Posted by RossN
A good Leather cleaning and conditioning is always good for bringing back that new Leather smell.
Thanks. I'll actually try that because nothing beats that fresh leather smell. Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:11 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Eleanor Owner
You can find the stories behind each car here as well as a bunch of pictures: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bijan22

Thanks. I'll actually try that because nothing beats that fresh leather smell. Thanks for the tip.

Ahhhh! The smell of boots and the feel of leather

Fury
Old 12-06-2004, 02:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
Best way to change the odor is to use leather cleaner (Lexol is my favorite) and QUIT FARTING. Trust me, I've put 100k miles on my car and it makes a big difference ;0)

By the way, your Eleanor is beautiful. :0)
Old 12-06-2004, 05:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
Originally Posted by Josh K
Best way to change the odor is to use leather cleaner (Lexol is my favorite) and QUIT FARTING. Trust me, I've put 100k miles on my car and it makes a big difference ;0)

By the way, your Eleanor is beautiful. :0)
HAHAHHAHAHHAHA quit farting...
Old 12-06-2004, 06:56 AM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by RossN
Page 354 of the Operator's manual:

"Nubuck leather upholstery (E 55 AMG)

The nubuck leather upholstery is treated with a protective coating. Wipe nubuck leather upholstery with damp microfiber cloth to remove dust and other light stains. Carefully dab nubuck leather upholstery with a dry microfiber cloth to remove oil stains.

!
Do not use Mercedes-Benz approved Leather Care or any solvents to clean nubuck leather upholstery.

Avoid hard scrubbing on nubuck leather upholstery."

I've always used Lexol in the past, but wonder if it's safe for use on nubuck. In that regard, IIRC, I've read somewhere that Lexol isn't advised for use on ventilated seat surfaces, since it can clog the the vent pores.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E55,2005 Ferrari F430 Spider, 2005 Corvette 427 TT, 2005 Range Rover
Isn't that referring to the headliner?
Old 12-06-2004, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Beowulf
Page 354 of the Operator's manual:

"Nubuck leather upholstery (E 55 AMG)

The nubuck leather upholstery is treated with a protective coating. Wipe nubuck leather upholstery with damp microfiber cloth to remove dust and other light stains. Carefully dab nubuck leather upholstery with a dry microfiber cloth to remove oil stains.

!
Do not use Mercedes-Benz approved Leather Care or any solvents to clean nubuck leather upholstery.

Avoid hard scrubbing on nubuck leather upholstery."

I've always used Lexol in the past, but wonder if it's safe for use on nubuck. In that regard, IIRC, I've read somewhere that Lexol isn't advised for use on ventilated seat surfaces, since it can clog the the vent pores.
Damn...but isnt the Nubuck part of the designo package or do all E55's come with the Nubuck leather?
Old 12-07-2004, 12:50 AM

All leather cleaners admonish on there back sides that suede or alcantara is a big no no for their cleaner to be used on when conditioning seats.

I don't know how to prevent from getting at least some overspray. Is there like a masking tape that sticks to nubuck without damaging it? Any thoughts would be appreciated.