Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Me!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Me!

ive fallen in love with the E55, ive frequented this board for a while trying to decide of i should purchase one......but im scared to death because everytime i get on here i see new post about something breaking or going wrong on these new 90k+ cars! if im gonna spend that amount of money on a car i dont want it falling apart!!!
the following complaints i see more than others
1: a strange chirping noise
2. frequent stalling
3:electronic gremlins!
help me decide if this is the right car! thanks
Old 12-13-2004, 02:39 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't think there's any car out there you can buy that something doesn't go wrong with it. It's just the way it is. If you do buy one just get an extended warranty so you don't have to worry too much.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Based on the number of reported BMW's with faults in the past two years, Mercedes-Benz's look flawless. Personally, I have two W211 E55's and neither of them have had such problems. I did, however, have a slight power loss in one of them and when I took it to the dealer it was ready in a couple of days at 110%. When you buy an MB you buy the best car out there (ESPECIALLY an E55) as well as the best service around. The E55 is a beast and in my opinion, and the all around best car money can buy. Take a look at some posts by people who have just recieved their cars...see what they say. I trust you'll make the right decision - get the E55!
Old 12-13-2004, 02:51 PM

ive driven the car twice and i couldnt believe the power it had and it has the quality you only can get in a mercedes and i love it!
Old 12-13-2004, 02:56 PM

also has tecrite grey production been replaced with another color? that was my first choice
Old 12-13-2004, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by veritas
ive fallen in love with the E55, ive frequented this board for a while trying to decide of i should purchase one......but im scared to death because everytime i get on here i see new post about something breaking or going wrong on these new 90k+ cars! if im gonna spend that amount of money on a car i dont want it falling apart!!!
2. frequent stalling
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes

I've had all three. But I still love the car and wouldn't trade it for anything (well, maybe a 911 turbo, or a F430 ). The chirping noise is no big deal. Most of the electronic gremlins have been ironed out. I am one of those that have been plagued with the unexplainable stalling. Just hung up with my SA and he's arranging for a regional tech to come in. Like others said, if you have a good dealer, you'll have no problem.

Last edited by cte430; 12-13-2004 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:41 PM

youve had all 3 problems and your still convinced it was a good investment? your a pretty hardcore amg enthusiast!! how many other cars do you know of that have had all 3 problems?
Old 12-13-2004, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
youve had all 3 problems and your still convinced it was a good investment? your a pretty hardcore amg enthusiast!! how many other cars do you know of that have had all 3 problems?
Actually, to be fair I haven't had any electrical problems (my '03 E500 did, though LOL). The chirping sound is in just about EVERY 55 kompressor engine. NOT a big deal. Annoying to some, ignored by most. The stalling issue is a concern, however I have a great dealer who offered me a new car months ago. I will let them try to fix it one more time. If they can't i'll get it replaced. NO car is a investment. I really enjoy the car and some of it's faults I accept. There's just a lot of "stuff" in these cars (BMW M5, Audi RS6 also) that can go wrong. I do think some of the QA issues that MB has had are shameful and I hope they get their act together. I have a company car Ford Taurus that I beat on and it keeps on running. Do I enjoy driving it? I'd rather stick pins in my eyes.

Unfortunately the days that spending big bucks on a car means better quality are over. Big $$ means more stuff that can go wrong. If you want simple, hassle free transportation the E55 and those like it will probably disappoint you. If you want luxury, good looks, and stupid fast you'll love it!!
Old 12-13-2004, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 E55
2. frequent stalling
1. The chirping noise is normal. This is how the supercharger work.
2. Never had issues with this.
3. Yes. This did happen to me. Minor but annoying.

There is no competition right now. May be next year when M5 and RS6 hits than there is something to choose from.

But with BMW, the 1st year is always going to be a disaster (MB's quality are not that great either). if you are going to look at this market segment for quality cars, you probably need to go down to Audi Lane and wait for a new RS6.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
I agree with Jame55's post.....

You never have a member post "drove my 55 hard for the past year and not a single problem".....not to mention the forum would reallly starrrtttt toooo drraaaggggggg.

Go 55 dude, just get that friggin warranty....also know that when you mod, there's a shot at voiding depending on coolness of dealer.

Keep us posted.