W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Video] Jeremy Clarkson's commentary on the E55

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-29-2004, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Brilliant Silver E55
Originally Posted by SL Shank
Then perhaps you should re-read. Its "coming from someone" with AUDI's, PORSCHES, AND MERCEDES. But don't let me interrupt your laughter. I'll still pick you up from the MB dealer if you need a ride for your soon to be "Blown" motor - no punn intended.

I owned an Avus Silver RS6 and I went with O.CT chip and Miltek Ehaust. Could have been dyno issue. As far as speed, the E55 hands down is faster. My Chipped RS6 got walked by a stock 2003 E55 on the highway, yes from 80+ I was behind more than 6 or so cars by 120.

As far as reliability, my RS6 was a POS! In the first 1200 miles, blown turbo hose, engine stalling, turbos not working at times and car felt like 4 Cyl. car (common RS6 problem). As for performance, it was acceptable compared to the E55, but handling wise blew the doors off the E55.

I have done the Renntech treatment to my E55 and 6K miles later, no problems so far...knock on wood.

As far as resale goes, it's a no brainer that Audis suck in terms of resale. I only lost $16K 3 months after ownership. Paid $88K and got $72K when turned in. The RS6 was my 3rd Audi in 8 months...A6 4.2 (long list of problems), A8L 2004 (steering rack got replaced with 620 miles on the ODO), then the RS6. I do miss the RS6, but the torque in the E55 is just addicting.

I'm quite surprised that you called the MB a Chrysler coming from an enthusiast such as yourself, based on the list of cars you have.

Also, I though I saw your car on eBay, and assumed it sold...in any case good luck if you are selling your car.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:12 AM

Then perhaps you should re-read. Its "coming from someone" with AUDI's, PORSCHES, AND MERCEDES. But don't let me interrupt your laughter. I'll still pick you up from the MB dealer if you need a ride for your soon to be "Blown" motor - no punn intended.

Yes, coming from someone with VW, PORSCHE, AND CHRYSLER.

Why is it if DCRrowder drives MB its Chrysler--if you drive MB its MB?
Whats wrong with you?? Good luck with your AUDI.......I mean VW.
Anyways, Start your VW and wait for that call to come in any minute now to do a pick up due to a blown motor.

Last edited by Belmondo; 12-29-2004 at 02:14 AM.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:46 AM

05 E55, 03 Z4 3.0
Hmmm, THat is odd. Its a shame you had misfortune with Audi's. I have had 4 audi's, and 3 SLs... an SL500 (Rattles, gear shifter knob broke, transmission slipping), SL55 (Rattles, Interior trim losened worse over time, and Orange Peel Leather...and Finally my current SL600 - where the refinement and smooth soft leather, and fit and finish were far better than the previous ones. No rattles either(Thank God)

Several friends / mb owners had several fit / finish / paint issues. I still have the RS6 and A8L which I still love over the S class (500 and less)

My Main reason for going with the Audi's were #1 - AWD, #2 - Build Quality and Reliability - FROM MY Experiences..not Internet statistics.

Good luck with your E55 though....I mean Chrysler.
no need to be a ****, I wasn't attacking you but sharing my experience.

I read RS6.com and audiworlds rs6 boards and there are FAR more reliability complaints there then there are here. That was another deciding factor for me (since having lived through my S4 and allroad hell and wishing I had read about everyone else's pain before I bought).

Take a deep breath, relax, stop bragging about what cars you own, realize your decision to buy a car is not a defining characteristic but a personal choice...

...if that doesn't work smoke a bone or take a valium.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:21 AM

2002 C-32 AMG Renntech
I don't understand why MB hasn't put an LSD on its entire AMG line...that would address the biggest issue the cars have.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Agreed!

My OEM AMG LSD system is being installed by my dealer by the end of February. Looking forward to being able to hammer the pedal with ESP off this Spring .
Old 12-29-2004, 09:59 AM

2002 C-32 AMG Renntech
Originally Posted by 04E55 AMG
Agreed!

My OEM AMG LSD system is being installed by my dealer by the end of February. Looking forward to being able to hammer the pedal with ESP off this Spring .
That is sweet...but you should not have to shell out the $$$ for that in a 469hp uber sedan. Are you sourcing this from Harris on the board, same gear ratio? That is going to be incredible!

BTW, is that upgrade available for the c32?
Old 12-29-2004, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
I agree!!

It is pretty pathetic when you consider that sub-$30,000 Mustangs, Trans Ams, Camaros, GTOs, Corvettes etc. (not to mention BMW's M cars) all come with limited-slip diffs, yet even on $100,000+ Mercedes, they are not even available as an option!!!

This is my biggest source of ire with Mercedes. Not having on LSD on the 350 horse models was dumb enough, but on the 500 horsepower models, it's just ridiculous.

Originally Posted by JasonC32amg
I don't understand why MB hasn't put an LSD on its entire AMG line...that would address the biggest issue the cars have.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:32 PM

C 32 AMG (203.065)
It's just a safety issue.. cuz safety is the most important thing for mercedes.

Look out for the new AMG models. For example, the SLK55: If you turn off ESP you'll have an electronic LSD activated that lets you drift. Don't expect to be joining drift contests, but have a bit of save fun, once you press the magic button.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:36 PM

2002 C-32 AMG Renntech
Originally Posted by MadC32
It's just a safety issue.. cuz safety is the most important thing for mercedes.

Look out for the new AMG models. For example, the SLK55: If you turn off ESP you'll have an electronic LSD activated that lets you drift. Don't expect to be joining drift contests, but have a bit of save fun, once you press the magic button.
I find it much less safe to pull out in traffic only to have my power cut out by the ecu when I forget to turn TC off!!! I think MB just chinced on the differential for warranty/durability concerns...not safety.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:22 PM

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
While I can't explain why they won't put LSD for straight line traction benefits (as opposed to the SL65 having them, and getting 0-62.5mph in 3.9 seconds!) I can say, that when a journalist asked AMG's head engineer, Tobias Moers, he said that they experimented with an LSD around their replica hockenheim at Papenburg, they found NO difference in lap times.....

Make of that what you will....ESP and electronic LSD "mimic" is good enough, as evidenced in the SLK55...at least AMG reckon so...
Old 12-29-2004, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
I find Mr. Moers' claim a tad bit hard to swallow.

This sounds more like marketing than engineering on Mr. Moers' part; the traction control controls spin by braking a wheel selectively, and braking would retard forward progress of the vehicle.

The inside tire will unload around a fast corner exit and start spinning, at which time it will get braked...I would *think*, anyway, that this would slow the vehicle's corner exit speed somewhat, but maybe they've gotten this down to a science anyway (which would have to have been *since* 2001, because I can promise you it doesn't work as well as that on my CLK55)...however, even if they can match the function of a true LSD, I would think that brake fade might get to be an issue with the extra braking by the electronics, not to mention extra costs for us poor owners for brake pads...which at $350 a pair for *just a pair of pads*, i.e. excluding installation labor, ain't cheap!

In any case, I really can't see any valid reason *not* to have one, other than cost savings, reprehensible in cars of this caliber.

Originally Posted by Bilal
While I can't explain why they won't put LSD for straight line traction benefits (as opposed to the SL65 having them, and getting 0-62.5mph in 3.9 seconds!) I can say, that when a journalist asked AMG's head engineer, Tobias Moers, he said that they experimented with an LSD around their replica hockenheim at Papenburg, they found NO difference in lap times.....

Make of that what you will....ESP and electronic LSD "mimic" is good enough, as evidenced in the SLK55...at least AMG reckon so...
Old 12-29-2004, 08:18 PM

04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
OEM AMG LSD system has the same gear ratio as stock (2.65:1). My understanding is that if the gear ratio changed, you would need to make electronic modifications. AMG does make a LSD system for th E55, but you needed to take the car to them until now

Yes, I am getting this via Harris. I do not think that the 65's have the AMG LSD(US models), just the same ESP that we have in our 55's.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:11 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA good one!
Old 12-31-2004, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
dtmpower,

I am not going to waste my time with you if you are going to "LMFAO" at the fact that automatics are better than manuals for drag racing in forced induction cars. As someone who's forgotten more about what it takes to build fast cars than you know, I think I probably am the one sitting in the more definitive position on what is right. No professional drag race team uses a manually controlled clutch based transmission in their car, and there's obviously reasons for it. Even today's circuit teams are moving to SMGs because of the limitations in conventional manual transmissions. You are obviously young, ignorant, and naive and as such don't like to be made out to be stupid even though in this particular exchange it is inevitable since you want to be so stubborn.

How anyone can search my posts and call me a troll is beyond me, again I attribute this to your lack of maturity.

I am going to give three quick reasons why automatics are superior for the benefit of other people reading this thead.

1.) Automatics allow preloading of a converter instead of clutch slipping. There's no balance between throttle and clutch as with a manual so launches are much faster, more linear, and more consistent.
2.) Automatics allow higher boost levels to be reached at launch because preloading the converter actually puts load on the engine which, in turn, builds more boost (this applies more to turbocharged vehicles).
3.) Automatics do not require you to let off the accelerator and come out of boost inbetween shifts. While this is possible with a 6-speed, the longevity of a transmission being subjected to this kind of abuse is minimal and simply not practical for big horsepower applications.

There are many more, but these are a few important ones and do a sufficient job of making dtmpower look stupid

-m

Lack of maturity? Stupidity?? wow those are some BIG words you are using. Forced induction cars are better off with automatic??? Since you were referring to an audi s4 B5 previously, tell me, can you launch an s4 with the AUTOMATIC gearbox at 6500k, able to take on a true advantage of having awd launch??? I believe what you are trying to say is that automatic gearbox is better at drag strips depending on what type of car it is. I am LMFAO thanks to YOUR lack of "stupidity, maturity, etc (I hope you can figure out the rest)" As far as how many posts you have or what not, if you do have alot of posts, great good for you (shows how much time you've got on your hands.)

BTW, I HIGHLY suggest that you stop posting what you've found from google results. Everyone here already knows how to use google.com search engine.
Happy holidays everyone!

Last edited by dtmpower; 12-31-2004 at 05:21 AM.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by DRCrowder
How odd, I went for the AMG for the same reasons you went with the Audi. Having owned 2 A4's(B5 2.8/1.8T), 2 S4's (B5 / B6), an S6 and an allroad I just couldn't handle the inferior workmanship and the horrible reliability. Every car in that list with the exception of the B5 A4 lived in the shop. Engine issues, fit and finish issues (door panels that come loose, rattles and squeaks from no where, nav problems, head unit problems, ecu problems, went through 4 sets of turbos between the B5 S4 and the allroad (At least the S4 was driven hard, the allroad is my damn dog car). It really got to the point that in my $50,000+ cars (B6 S4, allraod and S6) if I was taking a long trip, I actually was worried if I'd get there or not..

Let me sum it up for you:
In every Audi I have driven, my GF or I have had to call roadside assistance because of a breakdown. I have never called roadside assistance for any other vehicle

I'll NEVER buy an Audi again

I got the Z4 instead of the TT and the E55 instead of the RS6

It's not just me either, I have lived @ audiworld and hear the same thing. I'm sure that you already know that Audi is ranked FAR below the other German car manufacturers for quality and reliability

Just doing some quick googling shows that VW has 68 more defects per 100 than DC (although both are sad, http://consumeraffairs.com/news03/jdpower.html) and the following link shows JD power's customer satisfaction for the A6 vs the E class (most granule comparison I could get)

http://www.jdpower.com/cc/auto/jdpa_...rdsResults.jsp
the audi ties in 3 categories and loses all others, winning none..

it is unfortunate that audi's aren't audi's, they are golfs, jetta's, passats and phaetons (tt, a4, a6, a8 respectively)

PS If you wonder why I've had so many: I love how they look, I love the apperance of the interior (not the quality). If they could make a half-decent car I'd never buy another brand.

I guess you don't live on the real side of the world. The REALITY is that surveys are the most unreliable source for you to make any type of judgement, thanks to the gazillion bull**** feedbacks (some maybe exaggerated, or just a simple negative input coming from hate), and of course not to mention those folks who are part of the 9 out of every 10 ferrari owners who do not own a ferrari.

Remember, a survey is just a feedback. No more, no less.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Good luck with your E55 though....I mean Chrysler.
Holy crap, the richer they are, the dumber they are... LMAO.

For future reference, Mercedes owns Chrysler, and while the Mercedes parts bin is shared with Chrysler, Chrysler's isn't shared with Mercedes.

lol stupid mexicans.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by The Doctor

lol stupid mexicans.
You were saying............

Let me guess, that hops up and down too

Old 01-03-2005, 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
You were saying............

Let me guess, that hops up and down too

Hell yeah.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally Posted by dtmpower
Lack of maturity? Stupidity?? wow those are some BIG words you are using. Forced induction cars are better off with automatic??? Since you were referring to an audi s4 B5 previously, tell me, can you launch an s4 with the AUTOMATIC gearbox at 6500k, able to take on a true advantage of having awd launch???
Launching an AWD car at 6500rpm will do two things. Destroy clutches, or destroy the drivetrain. Drop the clutch, and destroy a transmission or a differential. Slip it too much, roast the clutch. Automatics do no such things. The drivetrain is preloaded before launching.

I believe what you are trying to say is that automatic gearbox is better at drag strips depending on what type of car it is. I am LMFAO thanks to YOUR lack of "stupidity, maturity, etc (I hope you can figure out the rest)"

No, not depending on what type of car it is. If it's a forced induction car and you want to run the best ET, you want a solid automatic transmission and strong, high-stall speed torque converter.

As far as how many posts you have or what not, if you do have alot of posts, great good for you (shows how much time you've got on your hands.)

BTW, I HIGHLY suggest that you stop posting what you've found from google results. Everyone here already knows how to use google.com search engine.
Happy holidays everyone!

I've been a member here for some 15 months... my post count reflects roughly one post every two days. Yeah, I really spend a lot of time posting on here

You implying I use google to get my information is highly laughable. Do a search for my posts on here and tell me they are written from google searches. Once again, you have done a terrific job of showing how ignorant you truly are.

google searches don't make graphs like these
Old 01-03-2005, 06:19 PM

2004 S500 & 2011 Mini JCW
To bad Audi only sent less than 1000 RS6's over here. I always watch that show when in Europe, does anyone know if it's available in the states?
Old 01-03-2005, 07:47 PM

2002 C-32 AMG Renntech
Originally Posted by srknutson
To bad Audi only sent less than 1000 RS6's over here. I always watch that show when in Europe, does anyone know if it's available in the states?
SPEED Channel and BBC
Old 01-05-2005, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
Launching an AWD car at 6500rpm will do two things. Destroy clutches, or destroy the drivetrain. Drop the clutch, and destroy a transmission or a differential. Slip it too much, roast the clutch. Automatics do no such things. The drivetrain is preloaded before launching.

[/b]

No, not depending on what type of car it is. If it's a forced induction car and you want to run the best ET, you want a solid automatic transmission and strong, high-stall speed torque converter.

[/b]

I've been a member here for some 15 months... my post count reflects roughly one post every two days. Yeah, I really spend a lot of time posting on here

You implying I use google to get my information is highly laughable. Do a search for my posts on here and tell me they are written from google searches. Once again, you have done a terrific job of showing how ignorant you truly are.

google searches don't make graphs like these
HIGH STALL TQ CONVERTER????? For daily driven??? Let's be REALISTIC here, there is no highly respectable tuner out there who offers a "REAL" high stall tq converter up at least 5k on EURO cars. In addition, you will regret that was the worst thing you've ever done to your daily driven car. If you do find one, do all of us a favor and let us know. That would be appreciated.

Destroying drivetrain??? I guess that's what happens if you own a chrysler http://home.comcast.net/~audi2ptzero/ http://www.evoms.com/Page-1-dec-01-170k.jpg (older pic) There's one of my buddy's car (He's the driver for GIAC, Mike Hood) He dumps his clutch at 7k (sure his clutch is in pain) on stock drivetrain (A4 1.8t) "0" PROBLEMS so far. What you are trying to imply is something called "TRANSBRAKE" & line lock (unfortunately won't work on cars with ABS). This is something DEFINETELY not available for the European cars, and made for the pro drag world.

Google surely doesn't make graphs, but it DOES help you find links (your sources) :p

Last edited by dtmpower; 01-05-2005 at 01:26 AM.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by srknutson
I know a server where you can download the episodes from. PM me. I'm a big fan of TopGear as well.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by The Doctor
Hell yeah.
Talk about mexicans... Iforged...
Old 01-05-2005, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Originally Posted by dtmpower
HIGH STALL TQ CONVERTER????? For daily driven??? Let's be REALISTIC here, there is no highly respectable tuner out there who offers a "REAL" high stall tq converter up at least 5k on EURO cars. In addition, you will regret that was the worst thing you've ever done to your daily driven car. If you do find one, do all of us a favor and let us know. That would be appreciated.

I've driven cars with stalls from 3000 up to 5000. 5000 is not very pleasant, 4000 is borderline, but a 3000-3800 stall is actually quite tolerable for daily driving. Many Supras do this upgrade and drive around all day on it.

It's not difficult to get a custom torque converter made if you can get a group of people together. Any of the big manufacturers around here would be more than willing to do it.

Destroying drivetrain??? I guess that's what happens if you own a chrysler

I own a Chrysler? Wow, nice echo of a previous "joke" made earlier. Mercedes owns Chrysler, unlike Audi where it's the opposite - it is owned by VW...

http://home.comcast.net/~audi2ptzero/ There's one of my buddy's car (He's the driver for GIAC, Mike Hood) He dumps his clutch at 7k (sure his clutch is in pain) on stock drivetrain (A4 1.8t) "0" PROBLEMS so far.

I had a 1.8T. I'm not talking about little 4 cylinders making 400hp. I'm talking about AWD cars making 800, 1000, and 1200hp. GTRs. DSMs. etc. They break drivetrain parts even with straight cut gears, tons of weight reduction, and a host of other preventative mods. Drag racing is not kind to AWD drivetrains... it's the reason no prostock cars or faster are AWD. I've had numerous AWD cars. I'm very aware of their shortcomings and their advantages. You can drag race a manual AWD car, and it can be done well. However, given two cars, identical weight, horsepower, sticky tires, etc... the one with a properly sized torque converter will 9 out of 10 out ET a manual car. AWD or RWD. Doesn't matter.

What you are trying to imply is something called "TRANSBRAKE" & line lock (unfortunately won't work on cars with ABS). This is something DEFINETELY not available for the European cars.

Your ignorance is showing again. A transbrake is in rough terms a step up from a highstall, because it basically loads the drivetrain by sticking the car in reverse and drive at the same time, which creates the maximum stall speed for the torque convertor. I know transbrakes very well... hell I had pictures of my friend launching on his transbrake'd Supra in front of my house. It's wild hearing a monster turbo spool with the reverse lights on.

A linelock rarely is used in actual staging, a line lock is used for the burnout procedure to keep the front wheels from moving forward while the rears are spinning and heating up. There is absolutely line-lock systems for ABS cars. I have seen a few real ghetto drag cars with 4 wheel line locks used instead of a proper TC and trans brake setup.

Google surely doesn't make graphs, but it DOES help you find links (your sources) :p

You really think you are getting to me with your constant inferences to google. I have proof of cars I've built... some which with 1 motor have more hp than probably all the cars you've ever owned. I have numerous posts on here, supraforums.com, and even a self-written profile on t04r.com under my name as my credentials. Where are yours? You love talking so big and have consistently posted misinformation or incomplete facts alluding to you are much more likely the one referencing google.

-m

Last edited by Marcus Frost; 01-05-2005 at 01:31 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: [Video] Jeremy Clarkson's commentary on the E55