W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smartkey reminder chime - Any way to disable?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Smartkey reminder chime - Any way to disable?

New '05 with Smartkey/Keyless go - every time I unlock the driver's door to either enter or exit, I get an annoying chime and instument cluster message "Do not forget key." I don't mind the message, but is there a way to disable the chime?

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2004, 08:27 AM

'08 SL550 Sport, '11 BMW 550ix M sport
There's no easy way to permanantly disable the chimes but you can temporarily turn them off by pressing either the up or down arrow menu button on the steering wheel.

It's something I've just gotten used to doing without even thinking about it.

And remember....Don't forget your key!!!!
Old 12-30-2004, 12:39 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Thanks - I'll give it a try!
Old 12-31-2004, 07:25 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
I agree with you that it is annoying. What's worse is that when you have your headlights on manual you'll ignore the chime for that and leave your lights on. I have personal experience on how to get an MB going with a dead battery because of this.

I sent an email to MB and discussed getting rid of the reminder when keyless go was used with my dealer and they told me that they would send the suggestion to MB. That was in 2003.
I'm still waiting.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Well funny how this came up because just last night, I came home from my night out, and apparently the valet guy put the lights on, as opposed to just leaving it on auto. Of course I never notice, and like most, ignored the chime since we hear it every time. Sure enough, I had to jump the car this morning. What a pain!

There HAS to be a way to disable that chime. If there is a way to disable the seatbelt chime, why not this one? At least the chime for the lights should be different so it catches my attention.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:07 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Appreciate the heads up on the manual light chime! I leave it on auto 95% of the time, but use manual occasionally. No dead batteries yet, but I'll be more aware, thanks to your comments.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by ThemisN
Well funny how this came up because just last night, I came home from my night out, and apparently the valet guy put the lights on, as opposed to just leaving it on auto. Of course I never notice, and like most, ignored the chime since we hear it every time. Sure enough, I had to jump the car this morning. What a pain!

There HAS to be a way to disable that chime. If there is a way to disable the seatbelt chime, why not this one? At least the chime for the lights should be different so it catches my attention.
Whoa! I thought it shouldn't let you run down the battery to the point where it won't start. I'm pretty sure my car won't let me do that?

-s-

Trending Topics

Old 01-01-2005, 06:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
Originally Posted by scorchie
Whoa! I thought it shouldn't let you run down the battery to the point where it won't start. I'm pretty sure my car won't let me do that?

-s-
If that's the case, then I guess that protection isn't working, now is it? Can anyone follow up to see what protection there is? When I got in the car, I got a warning saying I should start the car..went to start it...dead. I know I forgot my GS4's lights on a couple of times, but the battery never died. I've had this car just over 3 months and it's already happened!
Old 01-01-2005, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by scorchie

-s-
I too have run it down the same way and it was DEAD. So dead the key wouldn't unlock the door without putting it IN the door. The insanity!
Old 01-01-2005, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

How do you disable the seatbelt chime?
Old 01-01-2005, 08:19 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Originally Posted by DerekFSU
I too have run it down the same way and it was DEAD. So dead the key wouldn't unlock the door without putting it IN the door. The insanity!
Same here.