W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

CHeck this out! upcoming AMG models!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E500
FI motors are more easily modified (less $$$$) than N/A motors and are not as high revving and nervous as modified N/A motors. FI motors are far more street able than modified N/A motors.
I have heard a good bit of debate on this thought.

Nevertheless, MB is attempting to offer added driver-friendly composure with its innovative N/A configuration for the new engine(s).

"Bucket tappets in the cylinder heads allow a stiff valve train and therefore high engine speeds. Variable camshaft adjustment, a particularly rigid closed-deck crankcase and cylinder walls with a new, revolutionary LDS coating are further attributes of this ultra-modern V8 engine made by Mercedes-AMG. This unique combination of a fast-running concept and a large displacement achieves the best of both worlds: exhilarating flexibility accompanied by high torque at low engine speeds."

http://forums.thecarfanatics.com/ind...showtopic=2901
Old 11-19-2005, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Real Cars
Originally Posted by DerekFSU
What does Marcus "Have I mentioned heat soak" Frost have to think about it? I don't want a NA 8 cylinder that can't be made faster than stock.
Derek,

Without OEM support for boost, these engines will be very much like the E60 M5s "maxed out" V10. I cannot imagine any of these cars running 10s anytime in the near future. Even if Kleemann releases a supercharger kit for it it is extremely difficult to imagine this motor getting the extra power it needs without tearing the motor down and building it with stronger internals and most likely a lower compresison ratio. At that point you are looking at putting the cost of the car way out of it's league and putting yourself to lose a lot of that money as well in resale, because we all know aftermarket parts hold their value for nothing. Then you have engine management, ESP, and a whole nother bag of nightmares to worry about. Bottom line is it won't be easy.

I could really go into the benefits of factory forced induction all day, but I won't. There's just something about having another 100-200hp available on tap for a relatively little amount of money. Look at what it took the W210s to get up to the level of the W211s in terms of power, and that's merely 150hp+. Those pricetags are not very friendly, IMO. With that extra hp on tap, you can choose not to use it, or you can use it. That way when the new M5 or RS6 or whatever comes out and you are 50hp behind, a call to Kleemann puts you right back on top - and then some if you are feeling a little adventurous.

I am saddened by AMGs choice to move away from forced induction, regardless of it's reasons (fuel economy, etc). I am hoping the TT V12s will still be around for the relatively near future, if not, I'm getting an '06 with an extended warranty when my current one runs out and will be keeping it around until somebody else releases a true competitor to the 55K cars.

-m
Old 11-19-2005, 11:37 PM
pas

2007 S65, 2005 Nissan Armada
Look on the bright side if the new E63 is NA and doesn't have the low end torque we love, don't you think our friends at Kleeman will figure out a way to put a blower on it???

That would be an awesome car...
Old 11-19-2005, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Marcus, 10 months to respond has to be some kinda record.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
.........the reason I doubt that this is the final word on uocoming models is because included in that list is a CLS65. I have a deposit down for a CLS 65 and later discovered from pretty reliable sources that such a car will not be made. I will love to be wrong about this since I will really like to get a hold of the AMG twin turbo V12 in the CLS body style.

Ted
Old 11-20-2005, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Originally Posted by pas
Look on the bright side if the new E63 is NA and doesn't have the low end torque we love, don't you think our friends at Kleeman will figure out a way to put a blower on it???

That would be an awesome car...
KLEEMANN is currently working on blowing the M272 and 273 engines of the standard line up. From what I've read, the blower on the 272 is only making about 80 more hp.

These newer engines have been tuned to the max and adding a blower without major reinforcement like Marcus Frost said will be a futile exercise.
Old 11-20-2005, 10:06 AM
pas

2007 S65, 2005 Nissan Armada
I disagree the reason to add a blower would not be for ultimate HP it would be to fatten up the torque curve especially at the low end. It might require cam changes but I would much rather have 500+ ft lbs at 2000 rpm than a motor that has to be revved to make power like BMW's M cars.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 247 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
.........the reason I doubt that this is the final word on uocoming models is because included in that list is a CLS65. I have a deposit down for a CLS 65 and later discovered from pretty reliable sources that such a car will not be made. I will love to be wrong about this since I will really like to get a hold of the AMG twin turbo V12 in the CLS body style.

Ted
Unfortunately,You are right,no CLS65 from AMG because of the new pedestrian safety regulations in Europe.(the engine does not leave enough space under the hood,according to the new regs)
Old 11-21-2005, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Real Cars
Originally Posted by DerekFSU
Marcus, 10 months to respond has to be some kinda record.
Sorry about that Derek. I must've missed this post before and didn't realize when c2jones replied to it he bumped this old thread.

What I posted still holds true though

-m
Old 11-21-2005, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
Sorry about that Derek. I must've missed this post before and didn't realize when c2jones replied to it he bumped this old thread.

What I posted still holds true though

-m
Just kidding. It only misses the proper historical context as that was posted right when you were spreading the word on heatsoak.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
2019 G550. 2018 AMG GT roadster
Could it be cost as well?

Originally Posted by Signal
I dont know if any of this is true but...

Its been told to me by both MB reps, and Audi reps that the demise of forced induction on most of their cars is due to EPA clean air regs. The NA engines apparently can meet the new standards while the turbos and SC's will not..

Take it for what its worth...

I understand that once developed, the N/A engines are cheaper to produce.

Last edited by traumadoc; 11-21-2005 at 04:09 PM. Reason: typo