Another Chirper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 01:56 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 AMG E55
Another Chirper

There have been lots of posts on this but here we go again. Lots more power means the temporary 'fixes' for the supercharger chirping do not last as long. Vadim at Evosport was successful in eliminating the chirp by (1) resurfacing the clutch plates which is a pain to do and (2) using the 'stop' squeal. Both lasted for 1-2000 miles and then the horsepower monster got to the clutches and the chirp was back.

Changing belts does not work, I tried it nor does modying the clutch shims.

I think it is absolutely an unacceptable position being taken by MB in saying that this is normal and they can not do anyting about it and I bet they fix it on the 2005's before the model year is run, but that probably will not help the rest of us. If I had the time and energy I would work with the Evo guys and we would fix it.

In the mean time, does anyone have any new suggestions on how to get rid of it for a longer period of time??
Old 01-19-2005, 04:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Actually, recently I noticed that my car doesn't chirp at all anymore. I'd better check it out, I hope my supercharger is still engaging correctly.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:27 PM

'04 E55 Black/Charcoal
"At our dealership we use very fine valve grinding compound and use a feeler gauge to apply it inbetween the clutch surfaces. Any kind you can find will work. Just apply it and drive. We have done this repair for many customers and they have not been back since. I don't recomend that squeal stop stuff. Only temp fix. The valve grinding compound is more of a long term fix, if you can call it that."
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/foru...posts=21&fid=7

The above quote was taken from BenzWorld.org forums. The link is above. Perhaps you've already tried this. If not, it may be worth a shot... especially since it seems pretty easy. Good Luck.