Sponsored by:

Attn: OEM Navi Owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 04:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E46 M3, 05 E55
Attn: OEM Navi Owners

Looking into getting an OEM Navi installed and wanted to find out if it's easy to use or if i should look into an aftermarket system
Old 01-26-2005, 07:07 AM

I'm looking to put an OEM navigation in my 2000 E55, can you help and how much for part and labor.
Old 01-26-2005, 08:37 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Nothing MB related (sorry)
Originally Posted by Teej55
Looking into getting an OEM Navi installed and wanted to find out if it's easy to use or if i should look into an aftermarket system
The OEM Navi will let you use your steering wheel controls; most aftermarket units won't do that...

I don't have any experience in using W211 nav.systems myself, so that's where someone else should step in.

greetingz,

BigSis
Old 01-26-2005, 08:39 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Nothing MB related (sorry)
Originally Posted by thien
I'm looking to put an OEM navigation in my 2000 E55, can you help and how much for part and labor.
Complete self installation kits, including wood panel, can be purchased from MBenzNL. (Email Steve@MBenzNL.com). In case you are located in CA, TX or Chicago, Steve could install it for you in February... but don't wait too long. Steve is almost on his way now... :p

greetingz,

BigSis
Old 01-26-2005, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
TJ,

I hate to keep raining on your parade... but if you want aftermarket it will have to be either a standalone like a Garmin or one that doesn't hook up to your speakers. As I stated in the other thread, all the wiring is fiber optic and none of the aftermarket OEM units currently have fiber optic outputs. Yeah, it sucks.

MBenzNL (Steve) sells the OEM Nav, either the European or US models. Check out his webpage www.mbenznl.com His price is aroudn $2500 for the unit. Steep, but it's the only one that is a true plug and play.

-m
Old 01-26-2005, 11:26 AM
Almost a Member!

04 E55 AMG
I have OEM NAV and have been quite happy with it.

POIs like restaurants is quite useful. We were out in the hamptons with friends recently and could not recall which direction (east or west) we were from the lobster roll (semi famous place). Sure enough was in the NAV database.

system itself is quite accurate and i've had no techincal issues.

Only complaints are the voice over volume sometimes seems to vary for no reason (many times hard to hear) - my wife likes the voice I'd prefer it disabled.

slow response in changing stations on radio if you leave NAV onscreen. I'd also perfer to be able to control the CD changer without having to switch screens.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 E55, 12 CLS63
OEM Nav sucks. I had it on my S55 and now my E55. It is very limited in POI, can't search by POI name, can't search by phone number, hard to scroll the map, does not give exact door to door direction. It only guides you to within a block of your destination.

On the other hand, aftermarket systems like Alpine or Kenwood is so much better than OEM. It can do all the things I listed that OEM can't do, plus more. However, as someone already pointed out, the major drawback with systems like Apline or Kenwood, it is next to impossible to interface these systems to the your car without having to replace the whole OEM stereo system. So, unless you're willing to rip out your system, you're stuck with the crappy OEM, like the rest of us.

Raymond