Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iForged wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
///E63V10 ///F80CS ///Can-Am X3 XRS
The DPE designs are pretty nice too (if I own a BMW). Already got a set of 840R on the way, should ship to me within 4 weeks.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:56 PM

E46 M3, 05 E55
We need to do a photoshoot man 840R's are pimp

Originally Posted by sillyent
The DPE designs are pretty nice too (if I own a BMW). Already got a set of 840R on the way, should ship to me within 4 weeks.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
I say we get a big ol W211 E55 photoshoot going on...what ya guys say?
Old 03-31-2005, 04:24 PM
Banned

OK..lemme educate you guys a little on the forged wheel industry...HRE,Iforge and DPE DO NOT get their wheels cut at the same place!!! HRE uses ARS, Iforge does it in house. and DPE uses some cheapy place to cut their wheels!! and when I was talking about welding a forged wheels making it bad....yes it does... on a true 2 or 3 piece wheel. the center forging is made of 6061 T6 forged aluminum billet. the outers are usually 5052 because this part of the wheel you want strong but not as brittle as 6061, meaning you need some flex on the outer of a forged wheel. DPE welds their center to the outer...SO how is this called a multi piece wheel?? This is just the cheap, inexpensive way out in making a 2 or 3 peice wheel. So to the consumer who wants to pay multi piece prices for welded wheels..go rigth on ahead...but dont say i didnt warn you when you go to refinish them 2 years down the line and the guy at the refinishing place laughs in your face and tells you the wheel cannot be dissassembled...hahah...So in the end...DPE is not up to par with HRE...I forge comes in second...and DPE a distant third.....
Old 03-31-2005, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 E63, Audi R8 4.2, Panamera S, Range Rover Sport GT
HRE DOES NOT use ARS to cut the centers. They do their own machining and polishing and brushing in house at their building in Vista. Not to knock ARS b/c Danny is a friend, but facts are facts.

With that being said, ARS does indeed cut the centers for:

Auto Couture black label
AVUS
GFG
DONZ forged
couple more I cant remember

They do NOT cut the centers for:
HRE
Kinesis
Zone
NC Forged
DPE
Iforged
Old 03-31-2005, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 E63, Audi R8 4.2, Panamera S, Range Rover Sport GT
Originally Posted by sillyent
Hey thanks for giving me a shot though....where did you end up ordering?
Old 04-01-2005, 10:27 AM

iForged Wheels

Does anyone have any pics of iForged wheels in an Anthracite finish or a Brushed Aluminum? I am in the Pacific Northwest and I can't decide on the finish I want, EH?
Old 04-01-2005, 12:11 PM

'04 E55
Originally Posted by E55_POWER
Is it me or do the iForged look like they "knocked off" every one of their wheels off HRE designs?

I have seen iForged in person and they looked great. Frankly, I don't think iForged are that much cheaper than HRE.

Although I have owned HRE and am getting HREs on my CL, I would not say I'm a "diehard" fan of HRE...heck I could care less who makes the wheels, I just found their design to suit my taste.

SamE55, you get the 547Rs on yet bro?
Hey Alex, how're you doing? I did get them on and they look awsome!! I'm planning to lower my car soon cuz it sort of looks higher than i thought with the 19s. Enjoy the nice weather and talk to you soon. -Sam
Old 04-03-2005, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by s4avantgarde
OK..lemme educate you guys a little on the forged wheel industry...HRE,Iforge and DPE DO NOT get their wheels cut at the same place!!! HRE uses ARS, Iforge does it in house. and DPE uses some cheapy place to cut their wheels!! and when I was talking about welding a forged wheels making it bad....yes it does... on a true 2 or 3 piece wheel. the center forging is made of 6061 T6 forged aluminum billet. the outers are usually 5052 because this part of the wheel you want strong but not as brittle as 6061, meaning you need some flex on the outer of a forged wheel. DPE welds their center to the outer...SO how is this called a multi piece wheel?? This is just the cheap, inexpensive way out in making a 2 or 3 peice wheel. So to the consumer who wants to pay multi piece prices for welded wheels..go rigth on ahead...but dont say i didnt warn you when you go to refinish them 2 years down the line and the guy at the refinishing place laughs in your face and tells you the wheel cannot be dissassembled...hahah...So in the end...DPE is not up to par with HRE...I forge comes in second...and DPE a distant third.....

You can send your wheels to DPE and they will take it apart if you wish. However it sounds like you have made up your mind about assuming things about wheel companies. Thats fine.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:54 PM
Banned

Yeah..I guess if you're stupid enough to buy fake 2 peice welded instead of riveted wheels, its your choice...but all i'm sayin is that they should disclose up front that their wheels are weldes and not true two piece..I know of a hand full of people that were pisses off when they went to go refinish their DPE's..hahah..your choice i guess.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:09 PM

Yeah..I guess if you're stupid enough to buy fake 2 peice welded instead of riveted wheels, its your choice...but all i'm sayin is that they should disclose up front that their wheels are weldes and not true two piece..I know of a hand full of people that were pisses off when they went to go refinish their DPE's..hahah..your choice i guess.
Can you introduce me to these people? are they on the forums?

BTW, I knew that DPE's are welded, it was one of the reasons i went with them. True multipeice rims sound pretty fancy, but are not cool in the rain.

I can link you to many threads about people complaining about HRE's in rain, one of DPE's advantages and selling points is that they are welded.

To have them dissasmbled, you must send the rims to DPE.

With that said, and mentioned to you quite a few times, you insist on your position and you have even decided to call DPE consumers stupid for their choice.

That's fine, it is your uneducated opinion.

I have no time to do this for you, but do some searches on e46fanatics.com and the audi forums, it has been discussed and noted over and over about the finish quality of these wheels being superior to even HRE.

The actual materials are the same as HRE, so in that respect it is senseless to argue otherwise.

From one Audi owner to another, its sad that we can't agree on this, but atleast we can both agree that in terms of wheels, HRE/DPE/iForged/Fikses/Volks/Kenisis are still lacking in quality when compared to BBS.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:20 PM
Banned

yappity yappity yap...yeah..but you paid forged wheel prices to have fake rivets on your car?? hahah.......the whole point of a multi piece wheel is to have the flexibility to adjust the inners/outers if you ever decide to change centers or go widebody.....You think welded is better than bolted? than why dont you just go with one piece wheels? same thing right? Is it the silicone sealing the outers together that you're questioning? ALL good multi piece wheels use silicone to seal these two pieces so there is no leaking....and yes, you may have one in a hundred that was not sealed correctly and will leak...but the other 99....its all good...so whats your argument? You pisses cause you paid forged wheel prices for a welded wheel with fake rivets? you coulda just bought some imitation brabus's and called it a day...hahah..
Old 04-04-2005, 04:21 PM
Banned

hahahah..and as far as the finish on the DPE's...they arent superior to HRE ...they used to use speedway which is the BEST wheel finisher in the business..and I know DPE does not use them....so where do you get your info from? I'm in the wheels industry, you???
Old 04-04-2005, 04:23 PM
Banned

And yes...ALL forged wheels use 6061 T6 treated centers..thats the industry standard....and most people use 5052 (softer metal with more flexibility because 6061 is too brittle to be used for outers) so whats your point?
Old 04-04-2005, 04:25 PM
Banned

And no, I dont agree that those aforementioned companies dont measure up to bbs...HRE, Kinesis and any other manufacturer who uses Speedway for their paint finishes is just as good or better than bbs...
Old 04-04-2005, 04:45 PM

E46 M3, 05 E55
Sure am glad i went with HRE's =)

No problem whatsover
Old 04-04-2005, 04:57 PM
Banned

Thats what i'm sayin...If you guys pay for a forged multi piece wheel, dont you want a forged mulit piece wheel? I'd be damn pissed if I found out if was welded and had fake rivets!!! especially if the company didnt mention it!!!!
Old 04-04-2005, 06:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 CLS55-030, 2002 BMW 540 Wagon, 1995 VW Jetta GLX
6061 & 5052 Clarification.

6061 is not a brittle alloy, what makes 6061 brittle is the heat-treating condition that it is heat treated to. In the case of 6061 - 0 the material is dead soft and very formable. In the case of 6061 - T6 (heat treated to the T6 condition) the material looses about 90% of it's formability.

5052 is an alloy that cannot be heat-treated, however it can be formed and is quite strong after forming. Most products that are made from 5052 are products that do not need the added strength of 6061-T6 and/or cannot afford the extra expense of the heat-treating process.

Heat-treating 6061 is a risky business (considering the labor, materials, and tooling invested to make the part prior to heat-treating) when trying to hold high tolerances because of the possibility of the part changing dimension during the heat-treating process. To avoid this, special jigs have to be built to hold the part so the dimensions will be maintained as the part is heated up to 900+ degrees F and cooled down and then aged for 8 hrs. at 350 degrees F. The aging process is what hardens the 6061 alloy to the T6 condition.

My guess is, that holding the tolerances on the rim halves was not an economically and/or technically feasible proposition and that is why 5052 is the industry standard for the rim parts. - Bob
Old 04-05-2005, 04:18 AM

yappity yappity yap...yeah..but you paid forged wheel prices to have fake rivets on your car?? hahah.......the whole point of a multi piece wheel is to have the flexibility to adjust the inners/outers if you ever decide to change centers or go widebody.....You think welded is better than bolted? than why dont you just go with one piece wheels? same thing right? Is it the silicone sealing the outers together that you're questioning? ALL good multi piece wheels use silicone to seal these two pieces so there is no leaking....and yes, you may have one in a hundred that was not sealed correctly and will leak...but the other 99....its all good...so whats your argument? You pisses cause you paid forged wheel prices for a welded wheel with fake rivets? you coulda just bought some imitation brabus's and called it a day...hahah..
1 in 99?

are u kidding me?

there are soo many things wrong in your post above, i dont know where to begin.

who gave you the 1 in 99 number?

do you thinka everyone that pays 4k for rims is gonna come back and post that there are issues with their rims? NO, dont make up a 1:99 ratio and use it as if it is a fact.

the concept of forged wheels and the benefits are so they are lighter and stronger dumbass, not so you can take them apart and play with them.

Many multi-piece wheels leak air, and have issues in the rain, just most drivers don't realize it. It is a very common problem, im still laughing at your 1:99 number you decided to make up and use.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:20 AM

hahahah..and as far as the finish on the DPE's...they arent superior to HRE ...they used to use speedway which is the BEST wheel finisher in the business..and I know DPE does not use them....so where do you get your info from? I'm in the wheels industry, you???
So what if you are in the wheel industry? If you don't know by now that most people in the "wheel" industry don't know ****, then it slowly makes sense to me why you lack so much common sense and knowledge on the matter.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:42 AM

And no, I dont agree that those aforementioned companies dont measure up to bbs...HRE, Kinesis and any other manufacturer who uses Speedway for their paint finishes is just as good or better than bbs...
lol, even the idiots in the wheel industry know that when it comes to quality, BBS has been the leader for years.

maybe go back to wheel school and learn a few things before you make claims you cannot back up and cannot prove.

you were wrong about dissasmbling the wheels, it is possible if sent to DPE.

you didnt know HRE/iForged welded wheels as well if a customer requests

you claimed you knew who gets what cut where, and someone else had to come and correct you

you assumed everyone in the wheel industry knows what they are talking about, which clearly isnt the case, and even the average forum member could have told you that. You decided to use this as "ground" for me to believe what you are saying

you think that llittle companies (compared to bbs) make a higher quality rim than BBS. Are you aware of the millions and millions of dollars that go into BBS wheel technology? Do you think smaller companies like HRE, DPE and ifored and Kinesis have even 1/9th of the funds that BBS has available to them let alone the MILLIONS they have put into wheel technology? This is now beyong being in the "wheel industry". It has now reached a level of common sense with respect to a quality business versus the small guys that also make a similar product that is custom made.

The reason why HRE and Kinesis wheels are pricey is because they are CUSTOM, not because their quality surpasses BBS. If you have the right links, you can have custom made BBS LM's made JUST for you, but expect to pay upwards of $12 000 for a set in 18", this doesnt mean BBS is a ripoff, this shows you that BBS has a tailored forumula for developing a wheel, and the 8 thousand dollars difference between the LM's and any HRE's is the efforts that HRE lacks to put into their wheels, that BBS caters to in their whole product line. This is why BBS does not sell custom wheels openly.

The concept is really simple here, its similar to purchasing a Mercedes C-class for 32k that had millions of dollars of R&D and design put into it, compared to having your own vehicle made custom by outsourcing jobs to companies. Clearly, the c-class will be lightyears more reliable, made of higher quality, etc.

Get back to reality, HRE is expensive because they were the first to sell high-end custom made wheels, not because their quality was above what others sell. The whole quality thing with HRE is a selling trick, that simply is not true. HRE/DPE/iForged/etc are high quality CUSTOM wheels, when you compare their finish to NON-Custom high end mass production wheels, they SUCK. This is reality. NO HRE WHEEL IS ABOVE ANY BBS WHEEL in terms of QUALITY.

You sound like a sucker that gets sold easily on marketing, you fail to see proper reasoning, and I really dont know what to tell you aside from good luck. Custom is cool, but thats about it, when you want a quality product, you purchase a product that has R&D and design and technology into every last piece of the wheel.

Hope you learned something.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:53 AM

Thats what i'm sayin...If you guys pay for a forged multi piece wheel, dont you want a forged mulit piece wheel? I'd be damn pissed if I found out if was welded and had fake rivets!!! especially if the company didnt mention it!!!!
again, the welding process is to eliminate the issues that people had with HRE/iForged, making DPE a solution for those that dont want to gamble with purchasing a set of wheels that are no good, may leak air, or have issues in the rain.

I believe the owners of DPE used to work for iForged, and apparently, the internal relations between DPE, iForged, and HRE are extremely close. The reason they weld, is to "fix" the issues people have with HRE and iForged, making it a new product, similar to HRE's operation without the negative drawbacks.

If you don't want to ship your wheels to DPE to have them altered, thats fine, purchase your set of HRE's, I'm sure they will be great wheels. For people like me, that don't mind the added benefits of welding a forged wheel together to eliminate leakage and rain issues, DPE is a great product and worth the hassle of shipping my wheels back to DPE if i ever want any work done on them.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:48 PM

'05 E55TK, '00 Brabus/Kleemann 5.8 GCab, '05 CLK DTM
I might have to chime in here...

2 issues...

The main benefit of getting a forged multipiece wheel IS the ability to assemble and disassemble it (for repair or replacement). I think that it's well known that a one piece forged wheel will always be lighter (especially when rivets are added unecessarily) and stronger than a multipiece forged wheel. That should be common sense.

And the comment about sending a welded wheel back to DPE so that it can get cut open and re-welded is ridiculous. In no way should this be seen as a positive quality. Again, common sense...every time a metal is intensively heated and cooled (as in the welding process) the metal's integrity is weakened. Do you really want your rim centers and outers to be connected at (what will be) the weakest part of the wheel?

Last edited by silversurfer; 04-05-2005 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by silversurfer
2 issues...

The main benefit of getting a forged multipiece wheel IS the ability to assemble and disassemble it (for repair or replacement). I think that it's well known that a one piece forged wheel will always be lighter (especially when rivets are added unecessarily) and stronger than a multipiece forged wheel. That should be common sense.

And the comment about sending a welded wheel back to DPE so that it can get cut open and re-welded is ridiculous. In no way should this be seen as a positive quality. Again, common sense...every time a metal is intensively heated and cooled (as in the welding process) the metal's integrity is weakened. Do you really want your rim centers and outers to be connected at (what will be) the weakest part of the wheel?

Sorry, but most people purchase those rims because they can have them custom made, whatever lip, forged, and show factor. True, some people do purchase them so they can be repaired or refinished, but they are definetly not the majority, so to assume that HRE is far superior to DPE for that purpose alone, again is nonesense.

Thats right, I never did say however it was a good thing, I just corrected him and told him that it IS possible, and they DO IT.

Again, HRE and DPE are both great products, it just depends on the consumers priorities. If someone doesnt forecast wanting to change the color, or are fairly sure they wont damage their wheels, DPE is a great less expensive alternative.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:39 AM

'05 E55TK, '00 Brabus/Kleemann 5.8 GCab, '05 CLK DTM
Originally Posted by amirsafdari
Sorry, but most people purchase those rims because they can have them custom made, whatever lip, forged, and show factor. True, some people do purchase them so they can be repaired or refinished, but they are definetly not the majority, so to assume that HRE is far superior to DPE for that purpose alone, again is nonesense.
Speaking for myself, I don't believe that HRE should be considered superior to DPE for THAT reason alone. However, I do believe that it is a superior product for the same reasons that you are arguing against. Cost obviously goes against HRE but there are other forged wheel companies that are at a similar price point as DPE and don't have the product issues or customer service problems.

Thats right, I never did say however it was a good thing, I just corrected him and told him that it IS possible, and they DO IT.
Seems like you're backpeddling to me. Welding a wheel is not good and therefore any company that welds their wheels should not be considered good. Period.

Again, HRE and DPE are both great products, it just depends on the consumers priorities. If someone doesnt forecast wanting to change the color, or are fairly sure they wont damage their wheels, DPE is a great less expensive alternative.
There are plenty of other reasons why HRE (and plenty of other forged wheel companies) are better than a company that welds their wheels together. If you agree with me that welding is bad, why continue to stand behind the company that does it?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: iForged wheels