Sponsored by:

Oil burning on start up?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 11:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2023 GLE 53
Oil burning on start up?

Anyone else have this? If the car sits for 1-2 days, it will burn some oil on start up. That's usually a sign of worn valve guides or ring leakage, but with a 2005 and 7K miles, I'm wondering if it is just a slight collection off the cylinder walls that is burning off. Will talk to dealership, but wondered if anyone else has experienced this.
Thanks
Old 02-19-2005, 07:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i still get a puff of blue smoke at staqrtup (7k milews, 2003) and ive registered it with my dealer way back when and he says its fine. so if it ever developes into a problem he said illbe covered. (sorry for the mispelling, im hammered in sarasota waitinf to go todaytona 500 this w/e)
Old 02-19-2005, 08:49 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
The only time I get smoke at start up is if the car sat overnight and was then started to move a very, very small distance, say out of the garage to wash and then immediately turned off, upon restart the unburned gasoline from the extra rich warmup cycle will be ignited with the new still rich mixture at start and cause smoke(generally white), this has happened to me on 500's and 430's from time to time but only under these conditions. Blue smoke means burning oil and that's generally not good.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by RJC
The only time I get smoke at start up is if the car sat overnight and was then started to move a very, very small distance, say out of the garage to wash and then immediately turned off, upon restart the unburned gasoline from the extra rich warmup cycle will be ignited with the new still rich mixture at start and cause smoke(generally white), this has happened to me on 500's and 430's from time to time but only under these conditions. Blue smoke means burning oil and that's generally not good.
This sounds exactly like my case, except i could detect a little bit of blue smoke as well.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I'd monitor how much oil it burns by the time you do an oil change. If you are adding ANY it is scary with such low miles. i change mine every 5000miles, but have NEVER seen the line move. In general, they say that 1 quart of regular oil in each cycle (3000 miles) is considered normal and more is a concern.
I doubt it is extra oil as synthetic is so runny.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E 55
Originally Posted by RJC
That's totally normal, but blue smoke at such low miles isn't. Check the pvc hose that goes into the throttle body opening to see how much oil is being blown out by the crankcase just to rule out excessive blowby.

My best guess would be that it's (1 or 2) bad valve stem seals.

Last edited by rflow306; 09-22-2006 at 08:20 PM.