Sponsored by:

How to debadge?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
How to debadge?

Several members have told me the virtues of debadging the E55. How do you do it? Can you slide monofilament fishing line under it? Is it just stuck on with with doulble sided tape? Can you stick themn back on? Thanks for any help I am clueless.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E320
- Heat up the badge with a hair dryer, test the amount of heat you are putting on the paint with your hand because you do not want to overheat the paint.

- Using the dental floss, start to pry the badges off by working the floss back and forth behind the letters. Pull the dental floss away from the car so that it is rubbing on the badge and not the car. If there is much resistance to the dental floss while cutting the adhesive, reheat the badge for about a minute and try again.

-With the badge off you now have to deal with the leftover adhesive. Use some goo-gone and either a rag or paper towel and rub the remaining black gunk off. After everything is off, finish off with some wax.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:01 PM

E55
I just slowly worked my badges off using my finger nail to pull out on the letter until it was removed. My finger nail never touched the paint, just the chrome letters. They are on with double sided tape. I was able to put them back on. They are not nearly as secure of a fit after reinstall. You could easily order new ones from MB if they did fall off after reinstallation. You could maybe even find new double sided tape you would trust not to stick too tight if you wanted to remove again in the future.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:40 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Thanks guys, I'll try it. Stealth is a good thing!
Old 02-20-2005, 06:10 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Vetluver
Thanks guys, I'll try it. Stealth is a good thing!
Stealth IS a good thing. (see sig for visual).

I used the hair dryer and fingernail technique. It's pretty easy. Just make sure you give the area a good clean after you are done to remove excess glue. A little bit of wax does the trick.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:49 PM

I'll tell you one way not to remove them -- don't let Smythe in San Jose, CA remove the badging. My wife and asked them to remove the badging from our E320 when it came in back in 1997. Some idiot in the garage took a flat bladed screwdriver to the trunk of the car and left a big scratch in the paint. They tried repainting the trunk a couple of times but were unable to match the factory paint job. They finally had to pull the trunk off another new E that was going into their fleet and swap our trunk out for the new one.

We're getting our E55 delivered in a week at a different dealer. I hope they know how to pull them off properly. We're going from one end of the E spectrum to the other but are staying stealth.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:20 AM

G500,toyota supra, 67corvette,05 pathfinder
dont do it by moving it bakc and forth with you fingers if you have a black car. they can leave little scratches...

on a benz i would do the denta floss, then with the tape that is left you can usually grap be with your fingers and pill it off. if this does not work try rolling it up. I would not use goo gone or goop off nothing like that. If you do use something just use that wax/bug/tar remover. also if its a dark color dont rub it real hard cause it will scratch the clear coat.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:15 AM

03 E55 k2; Ford GT
I have a portable steam cleaner that works great with no dental floss.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W215 CL600
No one around here knows what the heck and AMG is. So, I'm stealth with the badge on (I wouldn't take them off anyway). Here's who I'm usually up against:

Old 02-28-2005, 11:36 PM

2003 CLK55
What are the virtues of debadging again? Sorry, I'm new to this forum.