Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 E63 AMG - DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 01:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 E63 Obsidiant Black; '06 R350 Alabaster White; 05 C55 Obsidiant Black (sold)
And the exhaust note sounds exactly like how it is in the video.. puts a smile on my face every time I drive the car.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:52 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by racer m
Hi guys,

I want to make everyone aware before they make a purchase of an E63 AMG that this car does not perform as it is advertised, and if you are looking to buy one and drive it to the limit you will be severely disappointed.

So I have some credibility, let me give you some backround information about myself. I have been racing cars professionally for over 7 years, mostly GrandAm (GT and Daytona Prototypes), some FIA GT, and a few other smaller series. I have owned and driven just about every kind of fast car out there, including the Bugatti Veyron. Out of all the cars I have driven, never have I experienced something like this...

First of all does anyone know how to put a 2010 E63 into dyno mode? I have looked online for hours, called around and got a few suggestions that have all failed. After completing the break-in period on my car, and now trying to push it to its capabilities I have realized that ESP OFF is hardly a "traction control off" button. This is extremely disappointing to me, as after watching numerous videos online of the car doing burnouts, and driving on the track I was very excited to purchase this car to replace my 2006 M5. Since then I have found out that only the European models allow the traction control to be completely shut off because apparently MBZ USA doesn't think that anyone who buys their cars in the US is capable of pushing them to the limit without crashing them. I had a terrible experience recently when I was in the middle of a drift on an awesome freeway on-ramp, the ESP turned itself back on, caused the car to erratically change directions and make a completely unpredictable maneuver that almost caused me to have an accident. Then the car started shaking violently, and would not stop. I thought at first I might have blown the differential, or even worse the transmission but since the wheels were still turning, and the car could shift through all 7 gears it wasn't that. I noticed that engine power was way down, and any application of throttle resulted in the shaking becoming severely worse. When I pulled over, the motor died, as a manual transmission would if you forgot to depress the clutch pedal or place it in neutral. I attempted to start the car again, and it started up fine and went back to normal. This means the car went into some kind of protection/limp mode, something I have never seen an N/A motor do before. I guess the car got scared. I have also noticed that when the car does start to spin the rear wheels, especially when a tail slide is initiated the ECU implements ignition retard, cutting power to the motor even when the throttle is engaged, causing the wheel spin to stop along with the fun.

Anyway, I was curious to try the dyno mode because evidently that disables all the systems, ESP, ABS, limp mode, etc. so I can enjoy my car as much as possible before Mercedes buys it back. I am very unsatisfied with this car, and do not want to continue owning it. I have already expressed my issues with it to MBZ and am awaiting a response from them. I have never returned a car so this is a new one for me. Hopefully, they will be willing to buy it back soon, because the next step for me is to put my GOPRO cameras all over it, take it to the track and demonstrate exactly what I have described here, post it on youtube and link every car enthusiast forum on planet earth to it so everyone can see for themselves. I promise that if I take it to that level it will drastically impact the sales of this vehicle.

If you are planning to buy this car to be a burn-out machine, drifting around corners with a smile on your face sedan like I was you will not be happy. If this doesn't matter to you then here are some other things about the car that I find to be laughable on a car that costs over $100k:

1. AMG button (similar to the ///M button) cannot be programmed with ESP off
2. Foot e-brake (instead of electronic e-brake)
3. Navigation system is worthless and 5 years behind any other car
4. No key memory for seat position/mirrors/steering wheel
5. No power folding mirrors (are you kidding me)
6. iPod cord in the glove box instead of arm rest console (also iPod cord doesn't charge iPod or iPhone... lol)
7. Backup camera is terrible, it's like looking through a drunk fish's eye
8. Park sensors are confusing, no visual aid on the Command screen
9. Integrated garage door opener malfunctions and erases stored codes about once a month for no reason

There is more, but I personally think that with these issues it is a no brainer to stay away from this car. I hope I have helped stop many others from the dissatisfaction that I have had to endure so far. Unfortunately, after this I don't think I will ever own another Mercedes-Benz in my life.

-Matt
This has gotta be the biggest joke I have ever seen. First off, everyone seems to be a professional racer online, can you please tell us your name so we can look up your "professional" history?

And why on EARTH would you buy this car if the list of things you said were not to your liking? all those you consider flaws could have easily been seen on a simple test drive.

About your stupid street driving, I will not even comment on that. But good luck to get MBUSA to buy back a car that you want to put into dyno mode when that mode is not suppose to be available to the regular consumer.

This threads takes the cake for the biggest moron I seen in a while.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:56 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by Brian GT PRO
It is truly sad to see this, seriously. I too have really been back in AMG's arms only after a hied us, and had high hope for the W212. I have yet to get into one to push it to the limit, and this post will make me really analyze the car once I get the chance to. It would be very interesting to see some Go PRO footage on what's going on. I do wonder if your car has "issues" that are isolated to your car?? Who knows. Good luck, and try not to give up hope, AMG is really coming on strong, it would be a shame to hit them with this "black flag".
What's even more sad is you took this troll seriously...
Old 05-15-2010, 03:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 E63 Obsidiant Black; '06 R350 Alabaster White; 05 C55 Obsidiant Black (sold)
Originally Posted by BlackC230Coupe
This has gotta be the biggest joke I have ever seen. First off, everyone seems to be a professional racer online, can you please tell us your name so we can look up your "professional" history?

And why on EARTH would you buy this car if the list of things you said were not to your liking? all those you consider flaws could have easily been seen on a simple test drive.

About your stupid street driving, I will not even comment on that. But good luck to get MBUSA to buy back a car that you want to put into dyno mode when that mode is not suppose to be available to the regular consumer.

This threads takes the cake for the biggest moron I seen in a while.
Hey when can we can the cf stuff for w212s?
Old 05-15-2010, 04:00 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by RW C55
Hey when can we can the cf stuff for w212s?
Already in the works!
Old 05-17-2010, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp71EPhFO3o

I wouldnt try this on a "awesome freeway on-ramp" though.
ESP off FTW
Old 05-18-2010, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E63, Iridium Silver, Black, Dark Ash, Distronic Plus, Night Vision, Premium
What's even more sad is you took this troll seriously...
+1 - Awsome trac car!

Old 05-25-2010, 02:36 PM
kip

E55
The only thing that would stop me from buying this car after I saw it live here in Finland ( I also saw an SLS at the local MB dealer) is the fact that the 63 will be replaced soon with the more economical, more powerful and torquier 55 engine. BTW It looked really nice!
Old 06-07-2010, 02:33 PM

2010 e63 Amg, Ferrari 430 Scuderia, BMW M3 Convertible, Maserati GTS
Originally Posted by Jon2007E63P30
I still am not warmed up to the exterior, but I like everything else except one thing.

The Pre-Safe gets in the way on the track. I have mentioned this before on the forum. The fact the OP does not mention this is suspicions. Now we were not allowed to turn off ESP in the AMG academy and maybe the behavior is different then.

I have never had this problem in my 2007.
This is interesting. I took my car to the track at last (NJMP) and had no problems with pre-safe (I had some other weird behavior, instead). Maybe, it's the options: i don't have the distronic (or whatever it's called), bu i do have the performance package.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:42 PM

your mom
OP has owned a Bugatti Veyron and probably had the E63 delivered to him and is now fretting abt MB not producing a car according to his expectation.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Out Of Control!

Not everyone. I actually moonlight as a bodybuilder, a chef, tax collector and a few other side jobs but not a professional racer. lol!!
Old 06-12-2010, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Mr. Racer has crafted an amusing post , finally some entertainment.

Bring me the E63 I promise you I can get the car to drift and place it into dynolicious mode.

Whilst the W212 may be a tad slower , it most certainly offers crispier handling and shifting Mr. M5 man
Old 06-16-2010, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
I was curious to try the dyno mode because evidently that disables all the systems, ESP, ABS, limp mode, etc. so I can enjoy my car as much as possible
Only an Mb tech can put the car into dyno mode. My close friend who is a tech at Mercedes did it for my c63. I drove the car around with dyno mode for 30 minutes and IT WAS INTENSE!
Old 06-16-2010, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
If you are planning to buy this car to be a burn-out machine, drifting around corners with a smile on your face sedan like I was you will not be happy. If this doesn't matter to you then here are some other things about the car that I find to be laughable on a car that costs over $100k:

1. AMG button (similar to the ///M button) cannot be programmed with ESP off
2. Foot e-brake (instead of electronic e-brake)
4. No key memory for seat position/mirrors/steering wheel
6. iPod cord in the glove box instead of arm rest console (also iPod cord doesn't charge iPod or iPhone... lol)
9. Integrated garage door opener malfunctions and erases stored codes about once a month for no reason
Ummmmm....You should have figured out you didn't like the car on the test drive. If im spending 100k on a car im gonna make sure im happy about it, inside and out. If you found nine things you didn't like about this car, then why did you buy it in the first place?
Old 06-16-2010, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
the next step for me is to put my GOPRO cameras all over it, take it to the track and demonstrate exactly what I have described here, post it on youtube and link every car enthusiast forum on planet earth to it so everyone can see for themselves. I promise that if I take it to that level it will drastically impact the sales of this vehicle.
I don't think that's entirely true....
Ive heard stories about the GTR transmission warranty being voided by using launch control. Owners have actually busted up trannys and had to fork out 20k to fix it. (I know, i know...everyone knows the controversial GTR transmission stories) I love the GTR with all my heart, i would actually take a GTR over an E63, despite the transmission horror stories. Which is exactly my point. Everyone wants to get they're hands on a GTR, even though most people know about the transmission warranty stories. Which leads me to the E63. I'm sure people would buy an E63, despite your misfortune with it.

Last edited by _AMG_; 06-17-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:04 PM

2001 Mercedes S500
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krHUE...eature=related
Old 07-03-2010, 06:39 AM

e350 coupe
does anyone know how to turn dynomode on the 2010 e coupe since it has no odometer button in the dash?
Old 07-13-2010, 08:09 PM

2006 STi
Originally Posted by kchristos
3): In addition to the above, your concept of spending a $100k to buy a luxury sports car which is clearly NOT designed to do what you are describing (drifting and burnouts) is the problem here!!! A $10-15k used EVO, STi, S2000, 350Z, Mustang etc with some $5-10k of mods can be a great car for that stuff.

http://www.kleemann.dk/Contact/DealersUSAM.aspx
I don't know if an Evo or STi would be the best cars for drifting and burnouts. The OP would be even more disappointed if he purchased one of those for drifting and burnouts.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:58 PM

2011 Alpina B7, 2010 BMW X5M, 2009 Nissan GTR
Normally I would never waste my time replying to a barrage of car enthusiast forum banter, but being that I put another post up regarding a problem with my nav system and got linked back to this post I felt the need to say something to all the haters who have disrupted the positive feedback in this thread with their drivel.

For all the haters lets get a few things straight. I am not a troll, I am a 1st time Merc buyer who is very unhappy with the purchase of my vehicle and needed a forum to discuss my issue with others, hence the reason I do not have many posts on here. I also, on average, spend maybe 1 or 2 hours a week on any internet forums for that matter, so just because I don't have 4,975 posts next to my user name doesn't mean that I don't have credibility. I am sorry that you find my constructive criticism of the E63 offensive, and maybe you don't have the same problems with your vehicle, but after agreeing to pay $1630 a month for 3 years and having my car not live up to my expectations or perform as shown in videos and reviews online I felt the need to express my dissatisfaction to others who might care.

While I am not going to release my full identity to protect my anonymity, I will tell you that nothing I said in my original post is untrue or exaggerated in any way, and for those who want to write me off as a liar that is fine. I personally don't give a damn. I have won many races at the top levels of sports car racing in the US and don't need to prove myself to anybody, especially a hater hiding behind a keyboard. My situation at the time I became interested in the E63 goes like this. I had just sold my 2006 M5, and recently purchased an X5M for my fiancee to drive. My 2009 Nissan GTR is in the shop now, and has been for close to 8 months having a complete motor/tranny build getting it ready for race competition for next year. I needed a daily, and the only performance sedan that appealed to me at the time (after driving a CTSV and Panamera Turbo) was the E63. After reading several reviews, and watching many videos online (where the car is seen burning out off the line, sliding around on the track) I decided to go to my dealer and test drive the car. On that particular day, when I arrived at the dealer, it began pouring rain like a Miami hurricane and even driving with the ESC off I didn't feel like making the salesmen crap his pants sliding the car around corners and spinning the wheels through 3rd gear. A test drive lasts for about 5 minutes if you are lucky, and in LA there is so much traffic all the time that you really don't get to do much except sit in it. I liked the car enough to talk figures, they gave me a great deal (at the time), and because I am an impulse buyer I took the car.

I'm sure all of you are aware of the break in period that any new car comes with, the E63 being no exception. So for the first month and a half I was taking it easy to follow the same break in procedure I do with all my cars. Once I hit 1200 miles and began experimenting with the handling limits of the car I had the original mentioned symptoms. I was less than thrilled. If you watch the vids on Edmunds.com or the recent Top Gear vid of the E63 you will see them smoking up the tires real nice on hard acceleration from a stop, sliding through corners with plenty of oversteer no problem. My car will not allow this to happen, even with the ESC off. My car will retard ignition timing when it senses wheelspin in a straight line or during an oversteer at high or low speed, and when pushed to the limit of a capable driver the car will go into the accident protection limp mode and completely shut down. No other car I have owned or driven has ever done this, M3s, M5s, Porsche (turbo, C2, boxster, GT3), Ferrari 430, GTR, etc. IN MY OPINION, this is unacceptable for a RWD, high performance, autobahn smashing sedan that is supposed to be a thrill to drive. It is not possible to experience all of this during a 5 minute test drive, it is something that days of driving the car in different allowing situations is required. And as far as the track goes, I didn't buy a 4000lbs sedan to go to the track. On the contrary to what some have said on here, pro drivers don't take their personal cars to track lapping days. We spend so much time in nomex suits, sweating behind the wheels of race cars in the mid-west humidity that time off from the track is a blessing sometimes. 99% of street cars aren't even fun to drive on the track once you have many years in a race car as a race car will pull 2-2.5 the lateral G force, stop in half the distance and carry 2-3x the speed through a corner. I have a highly capable, extremely modified GTR for track events that I take out once in a while if I feel the urge.

The bottom line is the E63 is not the car for me, but unfortunately because it has tanked in depreciation in the 5-6 months that I have had it I am stuck in a lease that nobody will take. This is very frustrating as I am sure anyone can imagine, and since MBZ has done nothing to help me after I have placed multiple calls with them I guess I just have to deal with it.

Here are some videos of an E63 doing burnouts, drifting, throttle steering and driving the way it should:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYKha6qLVS0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GINMe7K_aL0

Last edited by racer m; 08-10-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:09 PM

Normally I would never waste my time replying to a barrage of car enthusiast forum banter, but being that I put another post up regarding a problem with my nav system and got linked back to this post I felt the need to say something to all the haters who have disrupted the positive feedback in this thread with their drivel.

For all the haters lets get a few things straight. I am not a troll, I am a 1st time Merc buyer who is very unhappy with the purchase of my vehicle and needed a forum to discuss my issue with others, hence the reason I do not have many posts on here. I also, on average, spend maybe 1 or 2 hours a week on any internet forums for that matter, so just because I don't have 4,975 posts next to my user name doesn't mean that I don't have credibility. I am sorry that you find my constructive criticism of the E63 offensive, and maybe you don't have the same problems with your vehicle, but after agreeing to pay $1630 a month for 3 years and having my car not live up to my expectations or perform as shown in videos and reviews online I felt the need to express my dissatisfaction to others who might care.

While I am not going to release my full identity to protect my anonymity, I will tell you that nothing I said in my original post is untrue or exaggerated in any way, and for those who want to write me off as a liar that is fine. I personally don't give a damn. I have won many races at the top levels of sports car racing in the US and don't need to prove myself to anybody, especially a hater hiding behind a keyboard. My situation at the time I became interested in the E63 goes like this. I had just sold my 2006 M5, and recently purchased an X5M for my fiancee to drive. My 2009 Nissan GTR is in the shop now, and has been for close to 8 months having a complete motor/tranny build getting it ready for race competition for next year. I needed a daily, and the only performance sedan that appealed to me at the time (after driving a CTSV and Panamera Turbo) was the E63. After reading several reviews, and watching many videos online (where the car is seen burning out off the line, sliding around on the track) I decided to go to my dealer and test drive the car. On that particular day, when I arrived at the dealer, it began pouring rain like a Miami hurricane and even driving with the ESC off I didn't feel like making the salesmen crap his pants sliding the car around corners and spinning the wheels through 3rd gear. A test drive lasts for about 5 minutes if you are lucky, and in LA there is so much traffic all the time that you really don't get to do much except sit in it. I liked the car enough to talk figures, they gave me a great deal (at the time), and because I am an impulse buyer I took the car.

I'm sure all of you are aware of the break in period that any new car comes with, the E63 being no exception. So for the first month and a half I was taking it easy to follow the same break in procedure I do with all my cars. Once I hit 1200 miles and began experimenting with the handling limits of the car I had the original mentioned symptoms. I was less than thrilled. If you watch the vids on Edmunds.com or the recent Top Gear vid of the E63 you will see them smoking up the tires real nice on hard acceleration from a stop, sliding through corners with plenty of oversteer no problem. My car will not allow this to happen, even with the ESC off. My car will retard ignition timing when it senses wheelspin in a straight line or during an oversteer at high or low speed, and when pushed to the limit of a capable driver the car will go into the accident protection limp mode and completely shut down. No other car I have owned or driven has ever done this, M3s, M5s, Porsche (turbo, C2, boxster, GT3), Ferrari 430, GTR, etc. IN MY OPINION, this is unacceptable for a RWD, high performance, autobahn smashing sedan that is supposed to be a thrill to drive. It is not possible to experience all of this during a 5 minute test drive, it is something that days of driving the car in different allowing situations is required.

The bottom line is the E63 is not the car for me, but unfortunately because it has tanked in depreciation in the 5-6 months that I have had it I am stuck in a lease that nobody will take. This is very frustrating as I am sure anyone can imagine, and since MBZ has done nothing to help me after I have placed multiple calls with them I guess I just have to deal with it.
Seriously, post the GoPro footage and kill the sales already.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by IanSL55
Sorry but it seems you set aside your objectivity before you started writing. On most of these things you're just splitting hairs.

Uh... real time traffic didn't exist 5 years ago in any car... The NAV is FINE. The only issue anyone might have is that it's a touch screen. I certainly like the NAV a whole lot better than what BMW (X5) or Land Rover (Range Rover) is offering up right now (two cars I own), and it's light years ahead of what's in the W211.

Are you kidding us? This is an issue?

I dropped my iPod into the glove box in November and have not touched it since... If you can afford $300K in cars in 3 years, you can pick up a used iPod for $35 bucks on EBAY and just forget about it and leave it in the glove box.

Which is pretty much standard in most cars. You should only be using it to eyeball low objects anyway.

Learn to park. How confusing are simple lights? Red means you're very close.

I've had mine for over 6 months - have not had that issue.

So yes, I agree with Krzysiek, you come accross a bit fill of it.
I think you are full of it. I know the OP personally I've driven the car many time. My last car was an M3 and a couple years ago I had a CL55. The car does stupid stuff and there is no excuse for it and your lil list of responses is silly as this car cost $100k and doesn't really have the technology of one period so stop being a star hugger and dont take it personally after all you didn't design the car but it is what it is lets not try and say it isnt.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MBFLO
YOu guys are truly blessed that you can afford lifes great automobiles .. That said i was a little bit sad that my 01' w210e55 didn't have the folding mirrors , but the Euro version does and thats 10yrs ago so i can see his anger to some extent when it comes down to all around features when paying over 100k .
Exactly! a BMW 328i has folding mirrors for Christ sake.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 E55 - 2008 CLS63 -2016 F-150
Damn that thing won't roast em off the start get rid of that crap . Even my w210 will roast for days. I guess after driving over million dollars in cars you earn a right to complain. 1630 a month for a e class Jesus Christ that krazy! Life is not fair lol.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp71EPhFO3o

I wouldnt try this on a "awesome freeway on-ramp" though.
Thats exactly the kinds of videos he saw before buying the car hyping him up about it. Including the top gear review and others. The car DOES NOT do that. And yes he can drive that way hes done it in his M5 and other cars he's owned hes not a troll he's just saying his experience.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by jonmartin
Thats exactly the kinds of videos he saw before buying the car hyping him up about it. Including the top gear review and others. The car DOES NOT do that. And yes he can drive that way hes done it in his M5 and other cars he's owned hes not a troll he's just saying his experience.
The car does do that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2010 E63 AMG - DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!!