Sponsored by:

2010 E63 AMG - DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
I dont mean to interupt but I noticed something very odd about your posts.

On 3/11/2010 you posted this...

Hi guys,

I would like to introduce myself on MBWorld with some pics and info on my new 2010 E63 AMG. I am a longtime BMW, Porsche, and Nissan GTR owner, this is my first Benz. After just selling my E60 M5, this was a big reach for me to go to a Merc, but I have to say that it is one awesome high performance sedan. I find myself enjoying it more and more each day. I love to mod my cars to no end, and this one will be no exception. She's only a week old and we have already started with a few cosmetic upgrades as well as a pretty solid dyno tune. A carbon intake, headers, and full exhaust are soon to come, along with some nice wheels and suspension as well. All the work was done at BBI Autosport in Huntington Beach, CA.

As you can see, the dyno tune proved to be pretty impressive for an engine that is pretty much maxed out from the factory. We gained 20rwhp on a Dyno Dynamics.

More pics and dyno results soon to come after the next round of mods are installed! Hope you guys like it

Cheers,

Matt

And on 05/05/2010 you start a thread basically bashing on the E63.

So how do you go from saying you love the E63 sooo much on 3/11/2010, to saying how much you hate it on 05/05/2010?

Just doesn't make any sense.

Care to clarify?

Last edited by _AMG_; 09-21-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Wasnt this thread done?
Old 09-21-2010, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Lock it up, Vic. Better yet, delete it.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e63 2010 W212
I think now that Racer M doesn't feel this way, he should come back and change the title so it doesn't attract so much attention, then it'll die on it's own.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:34 PM

CLS55
TROLL
Old 06-19-2011, 12:43 PM

2011 C300, 2002 S430
would you recommend a 07 E63?
Old 06-19-2011, 01:23 PM

2011 C300, 2002 S430
Originally Posted by racer m
Hi guys,

I want to make everyone aware before they make a purchase of an E63 AMG that this car does not perform as it is advertised, and if you are looking to buy one and drive it to the limit you will be severely disappointed.

So I have some credibility, let me give you some backround information about myself. I have been racing cars professionally for over 7 years, mostly GrandAm (GT and Daytona Prototypes), some FIA GT, and a few other smaller series. I have owned and driven just about every kind of fast car out there, including the Bugatti Veyron. Out of all the cars I have driven, never have I experienced something like this...

First of all does anyone know how to put a 2010 E63 into dyno mode? I have looked online for hours, called around and got a few suggestions that have all failed. After completing the break-in period on my car, and now trying to push it to its capabilities I have realized that ESP OFF is hardly a "traction control off" button. This is extremely disappointing to me, as after watching numerous videos online of the car doing burnouts, and driving on the track I was very excited to purchase this car to replace my 2006 M5. Since then I have found out that only the European models allow the traction control to be completely shut off because apparently MBZ USA doesn't think that anyone who buys their cars in the US is capable of pushing them to the limit without crashing them. I had a terrible experience recently when I was in the middle of a drift on an awesome freeway on-ramp, the ESP turned itself back on, caused the car to erratically change directions and make a completely unpredictable maneuver that almost caused me to have an accident. Then the car started shaking violently, and would not stop. I thought at first I might have blown the differential, or even worse the transmission but since the wheels were still turning, and the car could shift through all 7 gears it wasn't that. I noticed that engine power was way down, and any application of throttle resulted in the shaking becoming severely worse. When I pulled over, the motor died, as a manual transmission would if you forgot to depress the clutch pedal or place it in neutral. I attempted to start the car again, and it started up fine and went back to normal. This means the car went into some kind of protection/limp mode, something I have never seen an N/A motor do before. I guess the car got scared. I have also noticed that when the car does start to spin the rear wheels, especially when a tail slide is initiated the ECU implements ignition retard, cutting power to the motor even when the throttle is engaged, causing the wheel spin to stop along with the fun.

Anyway, I was curious to try the dyno mode because evidently that disables all the systems, ESP, ABS, limp mode, etc. so I can enjoy my car as much as possible before Mercedes buys it back. I am very unsatisfied with this car, and do not want to continue owning it. I have already expressed my issues with it to MBZ and am awaiting a response from them. I have never returned a car so this is a new one for me. Hopefully, they will be willing to buy it back soon, because the next step for me is to put my GOPRO cameras all over it, take it to the track and demonstrate exactly what I have described here, post it on youtube and link every car enthusiast forum on planet earth to it so everyone can see for themselves. I promise that if I take it to that level it will drastically impact the sales of this vehicle.

If you are planning to buy this car to be a burn-out machine, drifting around corners with a smile on your face sedan like I was you will not be happy. If this doesn't matter to you then here are some other things about the car that I find to be laughable on a car that costs over $100k:

1. AMG button (similar to the ///M button) cannot be programmed with ESP off
2. Foot e-brake (instead of electronic e-brake)
3. Navigation system is worthless and 5 years behind any other car
4. No key memory for seat position/mirrors/steering wheel
5. No power folding mirrors (are you kidding me)
6. iPod cord in the glove box instead of arm rest console (also iPod cord doesn't charge iPod or iPhone... lol)
7. Backup camera is terrible, it's like looking through a drunk fish's eye
8. Park sensors are confusing, no visual aid on the Command screen
9. Integrated garage door opener malfunctions and erases stored codes about once a month for no reason

There is more, but I personally think that with these issues it is a no brainer to stay away from this car. I hope I have helped stop many others from the dissatisfaction that I have had to endure so far. Unfortunately, after this I don't think I will ever own another Mercedes-Benz in my life.

-Matt
To the Racer, as a father with a young daughter who will be driving soon, I am horrified by your post,knowing that there are people like you on the roads. These young people will in no way know how to handle the situation you will put them in, and in the end you will walk away and everyone else around you will be the one's paying for your fool hardy antics. You are reckless, irresponsible and a menace. How old are you again?! I hope you realize that driving is a priviledge and not a right and in my opinion you don't deserve this priviledge nor do you deserve to own this car. You should be ashamed of yourself. I agree with the other posts that you have an agenda to discredit the car and MBZ but you have only managed to discredit yourself.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:50 PM

2011 Alpina B7, 2010 BMW X5M, 2009 Nissan GTR
Originally Posted by zoom
would you recommend a 07 E63?
I want to thank my email notification for bringing me back to this hell after not logging onto this board for almost half a year. For you I would recommend a Prius. For someone else in the performance sedan market I would recommend a BMW M5, Porsche Panamera (if you can handle the look), or a CTS-V. Basically, anything besides a Mercedes.

It seems that many of the people who replied negatively to my post either have poor reading comprehension skills or just don't understand the time-line of my posts. I introduced myself days after purchasing my E63 to say hello and at that time I was excited about the car. After the break in period, and realizing that the car wasn't at all what it was represented to be I tried to get out of it, and having no luck with MBZ Financial Services, I posted my concern on the forum...

For all the people hating on my original post, I find it quite sad that I tried to offer some educated criticism of a car to make other prospective buyers (or first time Merc owners) aware of things they might also be very unhappy with if they are looking for a "driver's car," only to have many fire back with defensive remarks as if I insulted their child. I was trying to help, while also venting some frustration at the same time. However, the world is comprised of mostly ignorant people, none different on this thread. I'm sure you will all be happy to know that you won't ever have to see another post from me again. I got rid of my E63 in January and went back to a quality brand I trust, purchasing a 2011 Alpina B7 which brings me all the satisfaction I expect from a sport luxury vehicle. I also sold my HREs last week so I will be gone for good. I will never own another Mercedes in my life, and I feel sorry for people who are shelling out $100k plus for a car that is far inferior to the competition, but once again I guess ignorance is bliss when you are on the losing side and don't even realize it. Enjoy your 50% depreciation in one year, crappy command/navigation system, air ride suspensions that bounce like a Honda Civic on chopped springs when it is lowered, plastic dashboards, foot actuated e-brake, randomly erasing home-link system, terrible modulating brake assist crap, and non LSD having RWD car that never turns the t/c off and can't do burnouts.

Kind regards.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
Congrats on the B7. Totally different car (and a lot more $$, too.)

I'd go with a "M7" (ie Alpina B7) over the E63 any day

p.s., but it's a curious purchase if you were looking for performance over luxury. C&D said: We’re never quite sure why luxury-car owners feel the need to buy sportier versions of luxury liners, but the B7 strikes us as a nice compromise, even if it lacks the grittiness of the AMG S Class machine.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by 220S
Congrats on the B7. Totally different car (and a lot more $$, too.)

I'd go with a "M7" (ie Alpina B7) over the E63 any day

p.s., but it's a curious purchase if you were looking for performance over luxury. C&D said: We’re never quite sure why luxury-car owners feel the need to buy sportier versions of luxury liners, but the B7 strikes us as a nice compromise, even if it lacks the grittiness of the AMG S Class machine.
...That's because C&D journalists have the insight of a 12 year old. People buy the sportier versions of luxury cars, 1. because they can, and 2. because they are faster, sound better, more prestigious and look more bad *** than the regular model.

I bought my E63 as my daily to replace my E60 M5 I sold, but after hating the Mercedes, at the time, the 7 series was the only option I was interested in... I opted for the Alpina, and it's probably my favorite car I have ever owned to this day. Not only does it get compliments and rubber-neck stares from ages 20-70 on a daily basis, but its the best combination of comfort, sex appeal, and sportiness of any car I've ever owned or driven. It has plenty of power available in stock form, awesome brakes and handling for a car it's size, and a simple dyno day with a skilled tuner can yield another 70-80 bhp from the twin turbo motor which would put it close to 600 if one desires. It fits 5 comfortably, has an awesome stereo, navigation with Google Maps, and valets love to park it in front anywhere you go at no additional charge. I highly recommend one.

PS: I'll also add that the automatic transmission in the Alpina when placed in the sport mode, almost always chooses the appropriate gear for any situation, unlike the E63 (I always drove mine in M mode because of this, which is not always preferred). The BMW always carries the RPMs through a corner, and down shifts at the correct times, by itself, while the E63 (regardless of what mode the transmission is in: C, S, S+) will upshift at 2k RPMS or less all the time unless you mash the throttle... and if you do so it gets confused and leaves the car revved out at almost red-line for a prolonged period if you decide to coast, before realizing to make a jerky up-shift which is highly annoying. BMW wins every time.

Last edited by racer m; 06-19-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Porsche 991S, Cayenne S, 1972 BMW 3.0CS E9 Coupe
...That's because C&D journalists have the insight of a 12 year old. People buy the sportier versions of luxury cars, 1. because they can, and 2. because they are faster, sound better, more prestigious and look more bad *** than the regular model.

I bought my E63 as my daily to replace my E60 M5 I sold, but after hating the Mercedes, at the time, the 7 series was the only option I was interested in... I opted for the Alpina, and it's probably my favorite car I have ever owned to this day. Not only does it get compliments and rubber-neck stares from ages 20-70 on a daily basis, but its the best combination of comfort, sex appeal, and sportiness of any car I've ever owned or driven. It has plenty of power available in stock form, awesome brakes and handling for a car it's size, and a simple dyno day with a skilled tuner can yield another 70-80 bhp from the twin turbo motor which would put it close to 600 if one desires. It fits 5 comfortably, has an awesome stereo, navigation with Google Maps, and valets love to park it in front anywhere you go at no additional charge. I highly recommend one.

PS: I'll also add that the automatic transmission in the Alpina when placed in the sport mode, almost always chooses the appropriate gear for any situation, unlike the E63 (I always drove mine in M mode because of this, which is not always preferred). The BMW always carries the RPMs through a corner, and down shifts at the correct times, by itself, while the E63 (regardless of what mode the transmission is in: C, S, S+) will upshift at 2k RPMS or less all the time unless you mash the throttle... and if you do so it gets confused and leaves the car revved out at almost red-line for a prolonged period if you decide to coast, before realizing to make a jerky up-shift which is highly annoying. BMW wins every time.
Matt, I agree with the point about C&D (and most auto media for that matter.) I was just curious as to the luxury side of it (you seem more performance oriented in your desires.) Also when they felt the S Class AMG was "grittier" than the B7 (although who really knows what the hell that means anyway.)

The B7 is really more in line with the S65. The B7 costs a LOT more than the E63, too. It's up there with the CL65 and S65. Not arguing it's not a better choice over the E63, but that it's just in a different league.

When I saw your post I assumed you'd be saying you were getting rid of the E63 for the F10 M5. But yeah, the B7 is a great ride. Enjoy.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by 220S
Matt, I agree with the point about C&D (and most auto media for that matter.) I was just curious as to the luxury side of it (you seem more performance oriented in your desires.) Also when they felt the S Class AMG was "grittier" than the B7 (although who really knows what the hell that means anyway.)

The B7 is really more in line with the S65. The B7 costs a LOT more than the E63, too. It's up there with the CL65 and S65. Not arguing it's not a better choice over the E63, but that it's just in a different league.

When I saw your post I assumed you'd be saying you were getting rid of the E63 for the F10 M5. But yeah, the B7 is a great ride. Enjoy.
I would have probably given a lot of thought to the F10 M5 had it been available, but after driving the B7 I was really blown away and honestly have no interest in the M5 anymore (guess I'm getting old). I have always strayed away from full size luxury cars, but tbh we aren't setting record laps in the Nurburgring in them driving around in LA traffic, and the back seat room in the M5, E63, etc is pretty dismal. I care about the comfort of my friends and family, along with myself, and its nice to be able to drive with 4 or 5 w/o having to scrunch the front seats up til your knees are in the dash (I am 6'2", 220 lbs). The Alpina can take 4 6' tall people with ample leg room for all around all night, no problem, and still hauls ***, brakes with efficiency and handles well. The luxury features on the B7 are above and beyond the expectations of even the most discerning and it truly is a first class vehicle.

FYI, when it comes to lease figures, the Alpina is not far off the E63 comparing MSRP to MSRP due to Mercedes terrible lease programs. When I was first quoted for my 2010 E63 (at $98k) they wanted $2300 a month at full pop (I ended up being $1680 iirc), and the B7 (at $127k MSRP) goes for about $2500 per month.

Lease rates and residuals play a huge factor in payments, and BMW provides some of the best lease programs out there, even on their specialty cars. When you combine that with zero cost maintenance for 4 years or 50k miles, its a no brainer to me.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:23 PM

2011 Mercedes-Benz E63 /////AMG
Originally Posted by g.smiley
What would you recommend instead? An M5 or GTR? Interesting point of view.
g. smiley..

please dont tell me that you have crossed, or are considering crossing into the dark side of BMW and Nissans.

These cars are fast and might perform marginally better the the Mercedes-Benz E63/////AMG but dont let that fool you.

Those cars consist of ultra low quality parts, and are poorly assembly.

I feel that it is necessary for me to raise the plag on OP
Old 06-19-2011, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by mikey boy1
g. smiley..

please dont tell me that you have crossed, or are considering crossing into the dark side of BMW and Nissans.

These cars are fast and might perform marginally better the the Mercedes-Benz E63/////AMG but dont let that fool you.

Those cars consist of ultra low quality parts, and are poorly assembly.

I feel that it is necessary for me to raise the plag on OP
BMW's consist of ultra low quality parts and poor assembly? Where did you read that one pal, in Vehicles Report for Dummies? BMW has one of the highest residual value/resale values of any car on the market, and they stand behind their product with a zero cost maintenance program that no other auto manufacturer does because they know their product is reliable and built to the highest standards. BMW has also been one of the most successful manufacturers in motorsports history, along with Porsche, both which decimate Mercedes when it comes to producing quality vehicles... which, in turn, is why they both outsell Mercedes year after year. That's why I got such a good deal on my E63 (at the time), and Mercedes even offered them $20-30k off MSRP soon after because the lots were over crowded with them as the were not selling. Try finding an M3 in the color/options combo you want, even today, after the body style has been out for 6 years... you won't because they sell like McDonald's french fries. Even Audi, as of today, is much higher quality than Mercedes and (going out on a limb here) I would almost make a bet that Volkswagen parts are too. The only quality part in a Mercedes is under the hood, and if you feel good spending $100k on a $30k motor surrounded by over priced garbage for a brand name that was a big status symbol in the 80's (when they actually made a decent car) then so be it. Most educated car enthusiasts know this, one of which you are obviously not.

I like Prada sunglasses because they look cool, but I also know that I am over paying for a name brand made with poor quality that will soon break and need to be replaced... yet the are only $300, a far cry from the price of a car so I don't care.

I do agree on one thing, you cannot compare an M5 to a GTR, and even if a Nissan is built with "cheap Japanese parts," it will hand every Mercedes on the planet its *** on a platter around every race track and drag strip in the world. That is one car you definitely don't want to f**k with.

Last edited by racer m; 06-19-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance

I do agree on one thing, you cannot compare an M5 to a GTR, and even if a Nissan is built with "cheap Japanese parts," it will hand every Mercedes on the planet its *** on a platter around every race track and drag strip in the world. That is one car you definitely don't want to f**k with.
True, unless it blows its engine or tranny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TbDD...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZKsW...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUCn-yPnJF4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40XxbiZ1B-k&NR=1

in which case I will hand every GT-R on the planet its *** on a platter around every race track and drag strip in the world
on my Schwinn. That is one bicycle you definitely don't want to f**k with

Thought I would throw this one in to lighten the mood:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOAXJTTc__w

The "a$$hole in the R8 deep staging" comment had me CRYING

Last edited by 503C43 ////AMG; 06-20-2011 at 12:05 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'15 E63S wagon
For someone else in the performance sedan market I would recommend a BMW M5, Porsche Panamera (if you can handle the look), or a CTS-V. Basically, anything besides a Mercedes.

I will never own another Mercedes in my life, and I feel sorry for people who are shelling out $100k plus for a car that is far inferior to the competition

Kind regards.
I opted for the Alpina
The only quality part in a Mercedes is under the hood, and if you feel good spending $100k on a $30k motor surrounded by over priced garbage for a brand name that was a big status symbol in the 80's (when they actually made a decent car) then so be it. Most educated car enthusiasts know this, one of which you are obviously not.

Soooo, you own a BMW now, you hate Mercedes, and as Vic said, this thread has run its course.

IE, no reason for you to post here anymore. See you over on the BMW forums.

Best regards.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by 503C43 ////AMG
True, unless it blows its engine or tranny

in which case I will hand every GT-R on the planet its *** on a platter around every race track and drag strip in the world
on my Schwinn. That is one bicycle you definitely don't want to f**k with

Thought I would throw this one in to lighten the mood:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOAXJTTc__w

The "a$$hole in the R8 deep staging" comment had me CRYING
I'm assuming all these vid links are of GTRs blowing up (I didn't watch any of them)... FYI, tranny failures on GTRs are always due to driver error aka abuse, they don't just pop on their own. Mostly, this abuse involves using the launch control repeatedly, which is very hard on 1st gear as the car launches with brutal force, has an extremely strong clutch and after the clutch the next thing to snap is the tranny. Also, idiots turning off the t/c and doing donuts (with the rear torque bias this is quite easy) is another easy way to over heat and blow up the GTR trannys. Add some engine mods to the equation and it's even easier to grenade it. However, a simple $2k or so and you can get the PPG 1st gear and input shaft with associated hardware upgrade and blowing up trannys is all in the past. Running a high end transmission oil is also recommended, Willall Racing oil being the best (its not cheap, but better than buying a $22k tranny). However, most people are too lazy, cheap or ignorant to do so and they are the ones who destroy their drivetrain.

The fact that people can spend $80k on the car, but are too cheap to fork over another couple grand to protect their transmission is beyond me. My GTR makes over 700whp and I've tracked the **** out of it and never had one failure (I pay attention to the temp gauge also). Besides my engine mods, my car runs on active aero downforce and R compound tires which will make over 1.6 lateral Gs on nearly every corner over 50mph that has the car loaded up for over 2 seconds, putting an ever bigger strain on the transmission... yet still, no failures.

There is no doubt that Nissan built a sub-par transmission in the first few years, especially in the cooling department, but a few mods can take care of that easily. It's pretty simple, if you don't want to have a failure don't use launch control, don't do donuts, or spend a few bucks.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
1999 C43, 2008 P30 E63, 2014 SQ5, 2024 Model Y Performance
I'm assuming all these vid links are of GTRs blowing up (I didn't watch any of them)... FYI, tranny failures on GTRs are always due to driver error aka abuse, they don't just pop on their own. Mostly, this abuse involves using the launch control repeatedly, which is very hard on 1st gear as the car launches with brutal force, has an extremely strong clutch and after the clutch the next thing to snap is the tranny. Also, idiots turning off the t/c and doing donuts (with the rear torque bias this is quite easy) is another easy way to over heat and blow up the GTR trannys. Add some engine mods to the equation and it's even easier to grenade it. However, a simple $2k or so and you can get the PPG 1st gear and input shaft with associated hardware upgrade and blowing up trannys is all in the past. Running a high end transmission oil is also recommended, Willall Racing oil being the best (its not cheap, but better than buying a $22k tranny). However, most people are too lazy, cheap or ignorant to do so and they are the ones who destroy their drivetrain.

The fact that people can spend $80k on the car, but are too cheap to fork over another couple grand to protect their transmission is beyond me. My GTR makes over 700whp and I've tracked the **** out of it and never had one failure (I pay attention to the temp gauge also). Besides my engine mods, my car runs on active aero downforce and R compound tires which will make over 1.6 lateral Gs on nearly every corner over 50mph that has the car loaded up for over 2 seconds, putting an ever bigger strain on the transmission... yet still, no failures.

There is no doubt that Nissan built a sub-par transmission in the first few years, especially in the cooling department, but a few mods can take care of that easily. It's pretty simple, if you don't want to have a failure don't use launch control, don't do donuts, or spend a few bucks.
Well it sounds like you have it all figured out and have gotten rid of the disappointing E63

Perhaps you will feel more at home here:
http://www.bimmerforums.com/

or here:
http://www.gtrforums.com/

But definitely NOT here:
https://mbworld.org/
Old 06-20-2011, 04:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Threads like this are depressing...
Old 06-20-2011, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
The OP started this thread a long way back with his opinions. We are allowed to give our opinions here positive or negative. My feelings are not hurt even though I have the car. Its all subjective to me.

The OP has now moved on the BMW and this thread is complete.