E63 AMG *TRACK ONLY* Wheels/Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 03:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E63 AMG
E63 AMG *TRACK ONLY* Wheels/Tires

Hello all:

I've been tracking my W212 AMG at the local tracks and I am considering purchasing a dedicated set of wheels with R-compound tires to swap at the track.

I've looked at HREs and they're awfully pricy. Again, these are meant to be track only so the appearance is of secondary concern. Weight *should* be of primary concern but my car is very heavy with pretty much loaded options (pana sunroof, rear entertainment, etc etc) so I can certainly live with a few more pounds here and there. I suppose reliability and price would be the primary goal, in that order.

I'm running stock 19 inch wheels with Pzeros staggered on the W212. Several questions:

1. 18 inch or 19 inch wheels? Again performance is the consideration, I know 19s look better.
2. Staggered wheels or same size so it's easier to swap and rotate depending on wear?
3. Any tire recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I will require installation of TPMS, I find that feature very useful for tire pressure monitoring on track days. I know that will set me back an additional $250 but that's acceptable.

Last edited by siamesecat; 06-07-2011 at 03:32 AM. Reason: TPMS
Old 06-07-2011, 04:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
Get a set of OEM wheels cheap from someone who bought some custom wheels and no longer wants their originals. You should use the same staggered wheel setup as stock.
18 or 19. 18 is probably cheaper on the tires.

Hankook Rs3 are incredible for the price. They are available in XL load ratings required for our cars. I would start cold with 40 front and 34 rear.

Bring an extra set of front pads just in case.

TPMS is a waste of money for track tires. You are monitoring them in the pit/paddock all the time anyway.

Me at 125MPH braking into turn 1 at thunder hill
Old 06-07-2011, 01:59 PM

2011 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Jon2007E63P30
Get a set of OEM wheels cheap from someone who bought some custom wheels and no longer wants their originals. You should use the same staggered wheel setup as stock.
18 or 19. 18 is probably cheaper on the tires.

Hankook Rs3 are incredible for the price. They are available in XL load ratings required for our cars. I would start cold with 40 front and 34 rear.

Bring an extra set of front pads just in case.

TPMS is a waste of money for track tires. You are monitoring them in the pit/paddock all the time anyway.

Me at 125MPH braking into turn 1 at thunder hill
Thanks for the reply!

What's the best place to look for OEM wheels? Craigslist? If they're stock they come with TPMS so it doesn't matter anyways. But you are right, it's not like I'll be staring at the TPMS (or anything else on the instrument panel) on the track anyways.

I have the 19 inch "option" right now, I suppose I can go with both 18 or 19 stock wheels, though I imagine 18s would be easier to purchase since people who paid for the 19 in. option are less likely to replace their wheels.

I see you're local to the SF Bay. In my pretty limited track experience, I do not see many AMGs at all, nevermind E63s. Any recommendation as to good groups to track with?

So far I've been with HOD and will go with NCRC to Thill on the 24th. It's going to be my first time at Thill and frankly I'm a bit scared/excited at the same time. I've been told there will be no cones out there so I'm studying youtube videos religiously to try and learn the lines lol. I was thinking about starting with 38 front 40 rear for session 1 on my stock tires, do you think I should reverse that?

Last edited by siamesecat; 06-07-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So absolutely change the tire pressures. you have a big heavy nose. Check out this off camber turn (3 I think). This was with 44 in front and 36 in the rear. I backed off on both by 2 psi due to temps pushing pressure higher than I wanted. However, that improved response. The 18" wheels would be good. Ebay, craigslist, SonicMS in mountain view may have some, and of course this forum.

Check out all the pictures here

Hook on Driving is good and Trackmasters is good. If you want a good private instructor from the bay area who is intimate with AMG performance driving, PM me. He can get you into sessions that do not have a novice group.

Another thing to note. The W212 seems to jump into Pre-Safe mode much eaiser than the W211. Not sure why. The brake pedal might actually fall away from your foot. Be aware. Keep traction control ON! S+ will be fine for now. As you get better move to the AMG mode with reduced skid control.

Remember, if you screw up royal, just strighten up and go onto the grass. No use trying to save a bad situation and slide off sideways where you can roll it. You will also notice, as big and bad as the brakes look. A full session can get them starting to fade slightly. Upgrading the brake fluid is not worth it because the MB stuff is so damn good to start with.

Oh yea. Start with a full tank. I got 6.2MPG.

So the 24th. Hmm need to check that out.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:01 AM

2011 E63 AMG
Thanks again, I'll go with your recommendation of 40F 36R to start. I got some liquid white shoe polish to mark my tires so I can adjust the pressure as needed. A few more questions if you don't mind (you've been very helpful):

1. The Hankook RS3s, do they produce squeal sound as the grip limit is approached? I've read that some track tires go from full grip to none without a warning. I'm far from a track pro and would rather have audible warnings, or more "begginer friendly" tires.

2. W212 Track settings. Last session @ Infineon I had shift mode Manual (instructor told me to stay on 3rd to work on my line), suspension to 2 bars stiff, ESC on "sport" (W212 has 3 settings here, on, sport or off) I did not encounter the Pre Safe issue you mentioned, probably because I wasn't pushing hard. I was going to go with S+, max suspension, ESC off this time. Wanted to have a little fun with power overseer out of apexes with our 500 little horses (yes I'm aware this results in slower lap time), do you think ESC off will be problematic? Perhaps I should leave it on Sport or full "on"?

3. Thill lap times, what's a good time to aim for first time out? What's a "good" lap time for our car? I'll be running the CCW cyclone configuration (2s? more than the bypass). I know the correct answer is focus on smoothness and the line, don't worry about speed or lap times. I have an iPhone app that times laps and want to try it out at Thill. I won't be checking it until end of session but still good to how I did time wise.

And lastly, I'll send you a PM later tonight for instructor info.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

From my write up in the PL

For reference, my fastest morning lap with 5 and 5a in place was 2:26.22. With only 5a I did a 2:20.77. My buddy did a 2:21.58 which is going to tick him off. His Chevelle runs 2:17.
The Chevelle is a totally stock looking road track monster. Completely custom suspension for track. The 2:17 includes slicks.

A W212 should beat these times due to the MCT and front coil suspension. I have the P30 package, thus a LSD and 50% stiffer suspension than a normal E63 W211, which does help.

I would not take off traction control!!!!! You will feel really stupid if you damage something as a result. The rear can snap out in a heartbeat and you simply do not have the reaction time. The car spins, everything is OK, and the guy 2 seconds behind you running hard has no where to go. At least the morning sessions leave it full on. Afternoon, run sport.
This is why. The rear end came out at high speed. Out of 8 coming toward 9.

Transmission setting is really your call.
Suspension, yeah full hard.

As far as tire squeel, you will tend to feel the understeer or oversteer first. Any tire for track will tend to have large tread blocks which are less prone to squeel than a regular street tire. Don't rely on that for the primary feedback. Squeel noise usually happens when things go wrong.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:27 PM

2011 E63 AMG
Great information. I'll leave the ESC on with S+, max suspension. Depending on how the morning goes, I may go to Sport as per your suggestion. Your photograph there scared me as I don't want to make such an expensive mistake.

I didn't know that about track tires. I never installed track tires before and erroneously assumed they behave similarly to street tires. I'm still trying to find a set of wheels but it's been really difficult. I don't want "replica" wheels for $500 to crack during a track event, but OEM wheels are rare. I'm trying to contact CCW to see if they have a reasonably priced set (CCWs are also pricy, though not as expensive as HREs). Do you happen to know the exact spec of our car for wheel mount? What's the spacing between lug nuts? I emailed tirerack and their response was "we do not have your car to test fittings." I suspect some of the wheels will fit but it's simply not listed for the E63. I do not see this information in the manual.

Thanks for posting your lap times, it's my first time at Thill I think I will be pleased with laptimes around 2:30. Doesn't matter though, I'm just going to drive and see what lap times I get. I'll post them here after the track day if you're interested.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So how did it go?

I will be at laguna on the 22nd. See how it goes.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:34 PM

2011 E63 AMG
Havent gone yet, going this Friday (24th). I'm really looking forward to it.

I've decided against dedicated track wheels/tires, it's just too much trouble I have to carry a jack with 4 wheels/tires on the E63 to get to the track.

I'm going to burn through the stock tires (Pirelli Pzeros) and then I'm going with Yoko ADVAN Neova AD08s, which is a hybrid street/track tire like the RS3. Problem is Hangkook RS3s do not come in sizes that fit my 19" inch wheels.

So the stock Pzeros are F255/35/19, R285/30/19

For the Yokos I'll go with F255/35/19 and R275/30/19.

Will let you know how it goes at Thunderhill.

BTW which group are you going with to Laguna Seca?? I see very few Nor Cal clubs with Laguna track time.