Sponsored by:

E63 "Scary malfunction"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E320 CDI, 2007 ML 320 CDI, 2008 C63, 2008 G55
E63 "Scary malfunction"

I recently purchased a new 2010 E 63. I have owned numerous AMG vehicles since 1996 including previous E55's and E63's. The vehicle is about 1 month old with approximately 700 miles.

I'm driving normally on the very busy Rt. 28 in Sterling, Virginia this morning and all of a sudden the engine starts revving high the vehicle looses power. The engine icon lights up on the instrument panel and a message appears something to the effect "ESP malfunction, see owner’s manual". Like I have time to read the owner’s manual while I trying to get the car with no power to safety on one of the craziest roads in the Washington, DC area. This put me in a life threatening situation as I had no means to navigate the vehicle to safety other then luck and the grace of God. I was extremely fortunate to have been able to survive this vehicle malfunction without being hurt or killed. One of the reasons I have stayed loyal to Mercedes Benz products is Mercedes Benz’s commitment to safety. Mercedes Benz vehicles are supposed to be designed to protect and save lives not to put their occupants in life threatening situations due to gross vehicle malfunction.

Has anyone else experience anything similar on their AMG vehicle? What was the cause and outcome?

With best regards,

Rob
Old 08-16-2010, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by rake55
I recently purchased a new 2010 E 63. I have owned numerous AMG vehicles since 1996 including previous E55's and E63's. The vehicle is about 1 month old with approximately 700 miles.

I'm driving normally on the very busy Rt. 28 in Sterling, Virginia this morning and all of a sudden the engine starts revving high the vehicle looses power. The engine icon lights up on the instrument panel and a message appears something to the effect "ESP malfunction, see owner’s manual". Like I have time to read the owner’s manual while I trying to get the car with no power to safety on one of the craziest roads in the Washington, DC area. This put me in a life threatening situation as I had no means to navigate the vehicle to safety other then luck and the grace of God. I was extremely fortunate to have been able to survive this vehicle malfunction without being hurt or killed. One of the reasons I have stayed loyal to Mercedes Benz products is Mercedes Benz’s commitment to safety. Mercedes Benz vehicles are supposed to be designed to protect and save lives not to put their occupants in life threatening situations due to gross vehicle malfunction.

Has anyone else experience anything similar on their AMG vehicle? What was the cause and outcome?

With best regards,

Rob

Nothing like that... get the car to the dealer for a real diagnosis.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e63 2010 W212
yeah, i've had some minor issues with my car, but nothing of that magnitude! Although that's reminiscent of when i was driving me BMW. The 5 series is a crazy car!
Old 08-19-2010, 08:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W212 E63
Originally Posted by Racing Dad
yeah, i've had some minor issues with my car, but nothing of that magnitude! Although that's reminiscent of when i was driving me BMW. The 5 series is a crazy car!
what issues have you had?
Old 08-16-2022, 07:39 PM

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
07' E63
I have an 07’ E63, and my ESP light as well as the message “ESP Malfunction” shows up in my dash display when I sometimes hit the throttle and come off the gas real quick. But, thankfully, I’ve only noticed it once I’ve come to a stop whilst parking! I guess I should be happy I’ve not experienced it actually “working” as it should!?!? I mean, if it actually worked, I may have had limp home mode engage many times during my aggressive driving. As such, I’m not really inclined to wrack my brain troubleshooting how to “fix” it (ie-cleaning brake sensors, steering wheel sensor, and who knows what else?)