W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63

Down-shifting with paddle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2011 | 09:41 AM

E63 AMG
Down-shifting with paddle

I routinely down-shift by holding the down paddle for a couple of seconds -- what a great feature! However, I don't know if the transmission will automatically shift into the next gear afterwards. For example, if I hold the paddle and down shift from 4th to 2nd, will the car automatically shift to 3rd afterwards or will it continue to hold at 2nd until I manually shift into 3rd? This is when the transmission is in the S+ selector mode.
Old 04-08-2011 | 04:13 AM

2012 E63 wagon, 2018 E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by GeoE63
I routinely down-shift by holding the down paddle for a couple of seconds -- what a great feature! However, I don't know if the transmission will automatically shift into the next gear afterwards. For example, if I hold the paddle and down shift from 4th to 2nd, will the car automatically shift to 3rd afterwards or will it continue to hold at 2nd until I manually shift into 3rd? This is when the transmission is in the S+ selector mode.
I frequently do the paddle holding for quicker down shifting rather than just floor the gas.

The tranny will find the lowest possible gear but, once it reaches 6800 rpm, it will do automatically upshift to next gear.

So when you encounter a given situation that you want immediate acceleration, the best way is just holding the left paddle for like 1-2 seconds and you can release it and keep flooring the gas.

It does not matter which mode you are in because it won't upshift until just before (around 6800 RPM) reaching red line. So, you will enjoy the full range of rpm for every gear before upshift..........this probably is the most efficient way to get up to speed you desire.

The price for this enjoyment is rear tire replacement every 6-7500 miles......:-)
Old 04-08-2011 | 08:58 PM

E63 AMG
Thanks ...