W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63

Partial Limp Mode on Track?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2011 | 03:29 AM

2011 E63 AMG
Partial Limp Mode on Track?

So I tracked my E63 at Thunderhill today. The car ran like a champ in the morning sessions but in the afternoon I started experiencing the following:

1. Engine throttle cut significantly on full throttle after the first few laps of the session. First 2-3 laps of a session is always fine, then coming out of a turn on 2nd or 3rd the RPM would go up SLOWLY. Car still shifts proper and redlines, just slowly.

2. Drastic increase in brake sensitivity. This one is annoying as hell because without warning my braking/turn in point would be all screwed up.

Temp at track was approx. 95 degrees.

I suspect these are partial limp modes set by MB related to temp? Car drove normal for the 150 miles back home.

If anyone has experienced similar issues I could use some suggestions.
Old 06-25-2011 | 04:51 PM

a car that gets very poor gas mileage.
If I'm not mistaken, I don't believe you would have been able to drive all the way up to redline if your car was in limp mode.
Old 06-25-2011 | 11:33 PM

2011 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Centurion
If I'm not mistaken, I don't believe you would have been able to drive all the way up to redline if your car was in limp mode.
That's consistent with what I've read, which is why I believe is this some sort of "partial" or "alternate" limp mode. The power output was definitely not at maximum. Combined with the incrased braking sensitivity, it really creates problems for me
Old 06-26-2011 | 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
I was thinking more about this. Since you are under warrantee, I think you should ask your dealer if any codes are thrown.
Old 06-28-2011 | 02:42 AM

2011 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Jon2007E63P30
I was thinking more about this. Since you are under warrantee, I think you should ask your dealer if any codes are thrown.
Took my car to the dealer. Was informed that safe mode was activated due to high engine temperature. "Nothing wrong with the car."

I think I'll need to go manual and try to keep the RPM down on the track, unless I can figure out a way to disable this.
Old 06-28-2011 | 05:54 PM

a toy
Originally Posted by siamesecat
Took my car to the dealer. Was informed that safe mode was activated due to high engine temperature. "Nothing wrong with the car."

I think I'll need to go manual and try to keep the RPM down on the track, unless I can figure out a way to disable this.
Or have the fans kick on at a lower temperature. There is a setting for that in Star Diagnostics.
Old 06-28-2011 | 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
Originally Posted by siamesecat

That sucks. At least now you know the reason. Work with Jonathan on this. It may be your driving style. Also hope for cooler weather.

Most of the power is at higher RPM.

Good luck, wish I could be there.
Old 06-30-2011 | 02:59 AM

2011 E63 AMG
Ya, we'll see how it goes on the 15th. I plan to leave the hood open between sessions. Maybe it'll help, but it won't do any harm.

I'm hopelessly addicted to the track, I'll be going to Thill again on 8-8-11 with NCRC (Infineon with HOD is already filled if you can believe that), maybe I'll see you there?

I ran with NCRC last Friday, a decent group of people to run with.

The E63 is not exactly a good track car (it is barely "okay"). I think my addiction will soon require a dedicated track car, maybe a spec miata or something. Those things are dirt cheap (around 5k with an SCCA logbook) and you can sell them for around the same price that you bought it for, unlike the E63 lol.

Another thing is this is my daily driver. I'm not comfortable pushing the car to its limits. I think 70-80% is the most I'll go. One mistake, spin out, mess up your suspension, 10k+ with no insurance coverage....

It's really quite a dilemma, how else am I going to use 525hp and sport suspension? Drive to the mall? That's not why I got an AMG.

This is my awkward justification: I won't be the fastest car on the track, but I'm the only car on the track with a rear entertainment system (my son loves it). And on the 300 mile trip to and from the track and everywhere else, whose track car has a cruise control with radar sensors that brake and accelerate automatically for you, a massage chair and a premium harmon kardon sound system with all leather interior? Just my E63