W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi R8 vs Aston Martin V8 Vantage vs GT-R vs...E63?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CTS-V Coupe
Audi R8 vs Aston Martin V8 Vantage vs GT-R vs...E63?

I know I've posted questions about the E63 before, but since my dealer has yet to receive a solid date for obtaining one of them (MY 2012) my mind continues running through the possibilities for my next car. I know all the cars I've mentioned are quite different from one another, but I'm having trouble trying to decide on one over the other. I don't need the fastest car out there, but I certainly wouldn't mind the GT-R level of performance either. At the same time I question the need to be able to walk 99% of the cars out there, and would rather just focus on the driving experience and an exotic/aggressive exhaust note. All the cars are classic beauties minus the GT-R (in my opinion), but none of them perform like the GT-R.

All of them fit my needs, but I was wondering if any former/current owners of any of these vehicles could chime in. I would especially love to hear from any owners of the 2012 E63 with the biturbo engine and the Performance Package.

Last edited by King335i; 09-21-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W212 E63
Why r u looking at a 4 door e63 when all the others are coupes? Do u need 4 doors? If not, it's a no brainer if you can afford it. Aston Martin.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:06 AM

CTS-V Coupe
Originally Posted by E-Ridium 63
Why r u looking at a 4 door e63 when all the others are coupes? Do u need 4 doors? If not, it's a no brainer if you can afford it. Aston Martin.
It's not as much of a 2-door vs 4-door thing as it is a looks vs performance thing. I'd love an Aston Martin, but I don't have a clear picture of their reliability record and they are the slowest out of all the cars I mentioned. But, honestly, who cares who passes you when you're in an Aston? Still, I have a really nice country road as my daily commute to work and I'd love an athletic car that could really haul ***. I know the Aston is still pretty quick, but nothing holds a candle to the GT-R in terms of cornering and speed. The Audi seems like it would just be a fun drive, and the E63 also seems like it would be hilarious fun with that 5.5 biturbo.

Tough one.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
You are all over the place (I say this nicely) but I have seen your posts in the C forum and over at Nagtroc... you need to drive the cars, if you havent already done so, and get your own thoughts. Opinions are always part of the decisions but what do YOU want... GTR- C class, E class, and now Aston??

As E-Rid said- The E63 doesnt fit in your current list and the price points are up and down the spectrum too (if this matters)...

Last edited by Vic55; 09-22-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:26 PM

CTS-V Coupe
Originally Posted by Vic55
You are all over the place (I say this nicely) but I have seen your posts in the C forum and over at Nagtroc... you need to drive the cars, if you havent already done so, and get your own thoughts. Opinions are always part of the decisions but what do YOU want... GTR- C class, E class, and now Aston??

As E-Rid said- The E63 doesnt fit in your current list and the price points are up and down the spectrum too (if this matters)...

You are 100% correct, I am very much all over the place lol! But that is exactly the problem. I'm not asking anyone to answer anything for me, rather just looking to hear from people that may very well have driven some of these cars. You, for example, would fall perfectly into that category being an owner of both the GT-R and the E63. I know they're entirely different ends of the spectrum, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to comment on how fun they are to drive. As far as randomly adding Aston to the list, I am just mulling over my choices in the +/- $100K price range, and Aston falls into that.

I know those threads where people more or less say, "Hey, can you guys decide for me?" This isn't one of those threads, I already know what I am leaning towards (the GT-R), I am just looking to get opinions from people that have driven any of these cars.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:31 PM

2008 Chevy Tahoe
This is not even a Question a E63 should be up against.. totally diff cars

GT-R- is a all around supercar thats for under 100K

the only Mercedes that would be able to be up against these cars would either be the SLS, SL 63/65, or my personal favorite CL 63/65.

you could also throw in the Z06/ZR1 for the 100K price..

I would also consider a used 997 for that price..

So if i were you, also depending on where you live and driving conditions.. i would go with the 997, GT-R, or a Z06/ZR1. I have a C6 Z06 and is one of my fav. car to toy around in but deff. but none of these could be a DD except for the 997.

Last edited by masonaw; 09-23-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by King335i
You are 100% correct, I am very much all over the place lol! But that is exactly the problem. I'm not asking anyone to answer anything for me, rather just looking to hear from people that may very well have driven some of these cars. You, for example, would fall perfectly into that category being an owner of both the GT-R and the E63. I know they're entirely different ends of the spectrum, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to comment on how fun they are to drive. As far as randomly adding Aston to the list, I am just mulling over my choices in the +/- $100K price range, and Aston falls into that.

I know those threads where people more or less say, "Hey, can you guys decide for me?" This isn't one of those threads, I already know what I am leaning towards (the GT-R), I am just looking to get opinions from people that have driven any of these cars.
Id only get the GTR if it was a 2nd or 3rd car- for me its not a daily driver. Its a big shell of a car that does perform but for the every day freeway driver I would not choose it. Keep in mind, mine is heavily modded and very loud so that also plays into the equation. The E63 is the everyday freeway missile and while its not the fastest thing around it can beat almost every other car out there and do it with luxury. Id especially consider the TT version of the 63 since you can easily do an ECU bump and get some amazing performance. Benz has done a much better job on the W212 chassis and suspension/steering bringing it closer to the handling aesthetics of BMW M5.

But if performance is your absolute priority the GTR is the best bang for the buck without a doubt.

Out of the 4 cars I have, if I can only have one- its the 997TT.

Trending Topics

Old 09-23-2011, 11:23 AM

2008 Chevy Tahoe

Old 09-24-2011, 04:06 PM

CTS-V Coupe
Id only get the GTR if it was a 2nd or 3rd car- for me its not a daily driver. Its a big shell of a car that does perform but for the every day freeway driver I would not choose it. Keep in mind, mine is heavily modded and very loud so that also plays into the equation. The E63 is the everyday freeway missile and while its not the fastest thing around it can beat almost every other car out there and do it with luxury. Id especially consider the TT version of the 63 since you can easily do an ECU bump and get some amazing performance. Benz has done a much better job on the W212 chassis and suspension/steering bringing it closer to the handling aesthetics of BMW M5.

But if performance is your absolute priority the GTR is the best bang for the buck without a doubt.

Thanks! This helps a bunch.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:36 PM

2010 E 63
E 63 so far so good

Hey King, I was in your same position a couple of months ago, getting rid of my 2006 911s and was really wanting the GTR...just love the car. On my way to go make the trade, my neighbor told me to research the maintenance costs....according to some of the online sources, it is more expensive to service than the ferarri's ($120 for a quart of special oil). Then I continued to search, and it is the most expensive car in america to insure.

So I went to drive the E63 having already experienced the let down of owning a BMW....this car is unbelievable...luxury comfort, with what feels like a rocket under the hood. It felt just about the same as the GTR in power without the other baggage.

my two pence..
Old 10-30-2011, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
the hardest thing to do is to let the dealers let u drive the cars, ive been pretty successful with AMG;s even 65's but still most places are really *****y about it

one place wouldnt even let me take out a second hadn gtr, but ive taken 911 turbos our by my self and a ferrari cali
Old 10-30-2011, 09:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 AMG GTS, 2015 GLA45 AMG
Originally Posted by Austin_TX_E63
Hey King, I was in your same position a couple of months ago, getting rid of my 2006 911s and was really wanting the GTR...just love the car. On my way to go make the trade, my neighbor told me to research the maintenance costs....according to some of the online sources, it is more expensive to service than the ferarri's ($120 for a quart of special oil). Then I continued to search, and it is the most expensive car in america to insure.

So I went to drive the E63 having already experienced the let down of owning a BMW....this car is unbelievable...luxury comfort, with what feels like a rocket under the hood. It felt just about the same as the GTR in power without the other baggage.

my two pence..
I'm not really following your reasoning for passing on the GT-R. If you can afford a $100k car, the extra few thousand dollars a year to insure and service a GT-R seems almost moot.