Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

picked up my new E63 today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by E63AMG
Can you post a clip that captures the sound of the TT without the resonator? I am sure there are many out there, like me, who would love to hear it!
Not a drive by but a start up only with some higher revs.... Drive by is definitely a sound of beauty

Click Here to hear a CLS63TT without a resonator
Old 01-04-2012, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C2S CAB & C6Z06 & CLS63
That sure looks very nice!! Good luck with the car washes
Old 01-04-2012, 11:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 CLS63-S
Well said and beautiful car. When i went from the 07 Amg to the 11, i just loved the throaty sound improvement.

Enjoy!

Originally Posted by russellm
Unless you have a wife who is a Finance Major....

Wait a year, buy at 2012 at a $15k discount, like some folks seem to be doing with the 2011. But, as I pointed out to her, if I do that, I am taking what I can find out there and it's not likely going to have the options I want.

but anyway, I had no regrets when I bought my 2005 and I dont think I will have any regrets this time either. Life is short and I work hard.

Russell
Old 01-10-2012, 02:39 AM

CTS-V Coupe
Did you get it from Mercedes-Benz of Wilsonville?
Old 01-10-2012, 02:48 AM

2012 E63 AMG
Portland.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:13 AM

2012 E63 AMG
By the way, what type of window tint is it? Is it a film tint or some other advance ways of tinting the window? Always want to tint the windows but worry about bad tinting that causes bubbles years later.
It's Film. I also had film on my E55 and it still looked great after 6+ years. I have thought of this a few times as to why... I have had film in the past and after ~4-5 years it start to change color. I was thinking maybe its related to the fact that we lack that big ball in the sky we call the Sun in Oregon.

But, I recently removed the resonator on the TT (nothing else) and this car is now the loudest and meanest of my AMG's
Silly question, I would image, but did this effect your MFG warranty?

Also, I don't think I mentioned this before, but in the few hours I got to drive the car before I ran off to Asia (still here), I did get to mess with the active lane keeping assist, and the night vision stuff.

The lane keeping assist is really pretty cool. It first gives the steering wheel a jolt, and then gently brakes "one" rear tire to bring the car back into the lane. I did try this back to back to see what it does and it appeared to not actively bring me back the second time I tried it immediately after the first. So there appears to be some reset time or something.

The night vision is amazing! I think it will likely cause me to get into an accident one day (or I guess give me an opportunity to test the Pre-Safe Brakes). I was driving to the airport at 4am and the clarity of the picture through those cameras are soooo good. I was watching it and saw a bird go flying through the field of view which I would have not seen with the naked eye.

speaking of the Pre-Safe Brakes... Really want to try those but dont know of a feasible way

I wish I could play videos from my Iphone to the screen though...

I get home on Saturday so will get more time to put miles on it soon.

Russell
Old 01-14-2012, 03:21 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Porsche 991 GT3, 2012 cls63 Kleemann K3
It's Film. I also had film on my E55 and it still looked great after 6+ years. I have thought of this a few times as to why... I have had film in the past and after ~4-5 years it start to change color. I was thinking maybe its related to the fact that we lack that big ball in the sky we call the Sun in Oregon.

Silly question, I would image, but did this effect your MFG warranty?

Also, I don't think I mentioned this before, but in the few hours I got to drive the car before I ran off to Asia (still here), I did get to mess with the active lane keeping assist, and the night vision stuff.

The lane keeping assist is really pretty cool. It first gives the steering wheel a jolt, and then gently brakes "one" rear tire to bring the car back into the lane. I did try this back to back to see what it does and it appeared to not actively bring me back the second time I tried it immediately after the first. So there appears to be some reset time or something.

The night vision is amazing! I think it will likely cause me to get into an accident one day (or I guess give me an opportunity to test the Pre-Safe Brakes). I was driving to the airport at 4am and the clarity of the picture through those cameras are soooo good. I was watching it and saw a bird go flying through the field of view which I would have not seen with the naked eye.

speaking of the Pre-Safe Brakes... Really want to try those but dont know of a feasible way

I wish I could play videos from my Iphone to the screen though...

I get home on Saturday so will get more time to put miles on it soon.

Russell
so would you recomend the night vision?

here in canada i think its a seprate option.

im set to order mine with the AMG package and the premium package, but i dont believe the night vision is included in it.

as well, the advanced driving assistance package is a separate option.

i dont know why they call the premium package the PREMIUM package, hardly anything youd really want comes with it.

with all the cool stuff in separate packages , hardly anything comes standard. if you ordered the base cls63 without any options, youd be running pretty bare bones.

just not sure if i want to have the night vision just because its COOL, or if there would be any real use for it.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:47 AM

2012 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by mainly
so would you recomend the night vision?

here in canada i think its a seprate option.

im set to order mine with the AMG package and the premium package, but i dont believe the night vision is included in it.

as well, the advanced driving assistance package is a separate option.

i dont know why they call the premium package the PREMIUM package, hardly anything youd really want comes with it.

with all the cool stuff in separate packages , hardly anything comes standard. if you ordered the base cls63 without any options, youd be running pretty bare bones.

just not sure if i want to have the night vision just because its COOL, or if there would be any real use for it.
The Night Vision is an option, not part of any package.

I think everyone has their own opinions of what is important to them. One of the main reasons I decided to invest another $100k in a car was all of the new safety features available in cars today. Otherwise, I would have just kept my 2005 E55 as it was a fantastic car.

When I first started to seriously consider a new purchase I was thinking about an 2012 E550... All the Safety features, a new 402 HP motor... It seemed good enough. But then as I thought more about it, the more I was leaning just to go with another AMG. I discussed it with the wife, and she left the decision up to me.

So, once making the decision to go AMG, I knew I was going to get every option that the car had related to technology/safety. The only vanity I purchased was the illuminated door sills (and that was a late add). I did not purchase the Pano roof or the interior carbon fiber trim because those items held no value to me.

As to whether the night vision is worth it... I can only say I am glad I added it. the clarity of your environment through it is pretty amazing. I have not driven the car enough yet to be able to give specific examples of the benefits...

Thanks
Russell
Old 01-15-2012, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221

Enjoy the beast!
Old 01-15-2012, 01:01 AM

The Night Vision is an option, not part of any package.

I think everyone has their own opinions of what is important to them. One of the main reasons I decided to invest another $100k in a car was all of the new safety features available in cars today. Otherwise, I would have just kept my 2005 E55 as it was a fantastic car.

When I first started to seriously consider a new purchase I was thinking about an 2012 E550... All the Safety features, a new 402 HP motor... It seemed good enough. But then as I thought more about it, the more I was leaning just to go with another AMG. I discussed it with the wife, and she left the decision up to me.

So, once making the decision to go AMG, I knew I was going to get every option that the car had related to technology/safety. The only vanity I purchased was the illuminated door sills (and that was a late add). I did not purchase the Pano roof or the interior carbon fiber trim because those items held no value to me.

As to whether the night vision is worth it... I can only say I am glad I added it. the clarity of your environment through it is pretty amazing. I have not driven the car enough yet to be able to give specific examples of the benefits...

Thanks
Russell
wow, you got an AMG for the technology and safety features...

i dont quite get that, but, anyway...

i guess we have different priorities.

for me i would delete every safey feature but the seatbelts, especially airbags if i could and it would make the car cheaper. safety features, are pretty low on my list.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:05 AM

2012 E63 AMG
wow, you got an AMG for the technology and safety features...

i dont quite get that, but, anyway...

i guess we have different priorities.

for me i would delete every safey feature but the seatbelts, especially airbags if i could and it would make the car cheaper. safety features, are pretty low on my list.
no, you misunderstand... I "bought a new car for the technology and safety features". But in doing so, I had to make a choice in dropping down to an E550 or staying with an AMG. I decided to stick with an AMG because I did not feel I would be completely happy with an E550.

for me, the 2012 E63 allowed me to have my cake and eat it too, it was simply a financial decision.

Your initial question as to whether "I recommend the night vision", given your last statement, it seems you answered your own question given its sole purpose is safety.

Russell

Last edited by russellm; 01-15-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:14 AM

no, you misunderstand... I "bought a new car for the technology and safety features". But in doing so, I had to make a choice in dropping down to an E550 or staying with an AMG. I decided to stick with an AMG because I did not feel I would be completely happy with an E550.

for me, the 2012 E63 allowed me to have my cake and eat it too, it was simply a financial decision.

given your initial question as to whether "would I recommend the night vision", given your last statement, it seems you answered your own question given its sole purpose is safety.

Russell
ok, so youre in it SOMEWHAT for the performance aspect then, eh? ?

i mean, buying a 550 Hp/590 lbft TQ, AMG for the safety features is kindof like getting the Big-Mac meal for its protien content.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:10 PM

'12 e63 p30
I love all the features/safety features too. They were very high on my list when deciding on a new car. But just because I needed a bunch of cool features and a very safe car doesn't mean I would have even considered one that was any slower than my '12 e63 if it had the same features. Getting the best performance is my #1 priority, but I'm not interested if that doesn't come with features.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:26 PM

2012 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by joshb63
I love all the features/safety features too. They were very high on my list when deciding on a new car. But just because I needed a bunch of cool features and a very safe car doesn't mean I would have even considered one that was any slower than my '12 e63 if it had the same features. Getting the best performance is my #1 priority, but I'm not interested if that doesn't come with features.
yup... at the end of the day, i was not willing to give up the performance either, hence i went AMG again

but, for me, I bought the car to drive it every day and the vast majority of my driving is to/from work or weekend errands

Russell
Old 01-16-2012, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W212 E63
ok, so youre in it SOMEWHAT for the performance aspect then, eh? ?

i mean, buying a 550 Hp/590 lbft TQ, AMG for the safety features is kindof like getting the Big-Mac meal for its protien content.
What i think he is saying is that he was in the market to buy a new car because he wanted the advancements in technology and safety which the 550 would have got him. But then he looked at the next model up and said DAMNNNNNNN, i want that one!

As for night vision....i've never used it for its purpose...only to show a couple of people how cool it is, then completely forgot about it. You can't drive the car watching it, and the screen is too far too the right to really alert you peripherally. If it could recognize and highlight people/obstacles in different colors to attract your attention then it would be extremely useful. But its all different shades of b&w so unless you're studying it, its pretty useless to me in urban/suburban driving. I can see maybe where you can get some use out of it rural areas....but if you live on a farm, you should be rocking a John Deere - and those don't need no night vision, just a different paint job.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by E-Ridium 63
What i think he is saying is that he was in the market to buy a new car because he wanted the advancements in technology and safety which the 550 would have got him. But then he looked at the next model up and said DAMNNNNNNN, i want that one!

As for night vision....i've never used it for its purpose...only to show a couple of people how cool it is, then completely forgot about it. You can't drive the car watching it, and the screen is too far too the right to really alert you peripherally. If it could recognize and highlight people/obstacles in different colors to attract your attention then it would be extremely useful. But its all different shades of b&w so unless you're studying it, its pretty useless to me in urban/suburban driving. I can see maybe where you can get some use out of it rural areas....but if you live on a farm, you should be rocking a John Deere - and those don't need no night vision, just a different paint job.

thats what i was kindof thinking... will i get it, and then itll end up just being as waste of $2500 just to show it off to a couple of people.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:08 AM

W212 E63
thats what i was kindof thinking... will i get it, and then itll end up just being as waste of $2500 just to show it off to a couple of people.
I have more fingers than the number of times I've actually turned it on (it might be a tie if I'm only counting one hand....$500 per session lol!)
Old 01-16-2012, 10:30 AM

2012 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by E-Ridium 63
That is almost what happened.
The difference is I was thinking to myself whether I could go down a step to the E550 versus the E55 I had. My decision was no, I could not.

As to the Night Vision stuff... Way too early for me to know how often it will be used, but yes, I suspect it would be very situational.

Thanks
Russell
Old 01-16-2012, 10:43 AM

W212 E63
The difference is I was thinking to myself whether I could go down a step to the E550 versus the E55 I had. My decision was no, I could not.

As to the Night Vision stuff... Way too early for me to know how often it will be used, but yes, I suspect it would be very situational.

Thanks
Russell
i was kinda in the same boat...thinking that 550 would be good enough. Glad I went with the 63, esp since I got a great deal and the price diff between the 550 and 63 similarly equipped made it an easy decision. There is a HUGE difference between driving this car in C mode vs S and then vs. S+ and further then M....so i can only imagine diff between the 550 and 63.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
AMG
Congrats on the new car, enjoy in good health!
Old 01-16-2012, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Nightvision helps here where I live where there are lots of country roads in complete darkness at night. Most of the time, I'm more afraid of a deer jumping out. Obviously it's hard to stare at the screen so sometimes I have my wife keep an eye on the screen when driving through the dark woods.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
07 M6 | 09 RX-8 | 07 LGT Wagon | 17 Bolt
Nice choices on options! Congrats on special ordering exactly what you want.
It really should be an E55 though. I dont get why they use inacurate names on the TT cars. You think they would be proud of the smaller greener engines.

You left out the most important picture of all, the engine.
Would you mind posting a pic of the Carbon Fiber Engine cover?
Old 01-17-2012, 02:57 PM

E63 AMG

Thanks
Russell
For what it's worth, I have the pano roof and aside from demonstrating it to first time passengers a few times (there is a certain one time "wow" effect!) it's been by and large unused at all and pretty much a waste of money, so as far as I'm concerned you're spot on in terms of wise spending!

Annnnnnnd your car looks great................!
Old 01-18-2012, 10:31 PM

2012 E63 AMG
Thanks for the feedback guys

Here is a picture of the Engine per request:
Old 01-18-2012, 11:49 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Man, I can't help but dwell on the fact that my E350 gets the same MPG figures on the window sticker.

You wouldn't be saying that if an accident occurs, I assure you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: picked up my new E63 today