Advice Needed - 2010/11 vs. 2012

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche 997
Advice Needed - 2010/11 vs. 2012

I am seeking advice from the forum in an effort to solve a dilemma:

I currently daily drive a Porsche 997 that I really enjoy but we are now expecting twins. I am really excited with our new and rapidly growing family after a very long process due to a brief battle with cancer (another story) but need to make a change for more space and practicality. I have already decided on the E63 but am facing a choice and those with experince in this matter could really help shed some light:

Option 1 - Purchase a 2012 E63 (5.5TT)

Option 2 - Purchase a low mileage 2010 or 2011. In this scenario I might keep the 997 but I already have a really fun "weekend" car in the form of a Ford GT with plenty of power and I suspect that I might not drive the 997 as much with family obligations and another fun car in the stable (that I would always pick over the 997 to go for a cruise in). I don't really want to let keeping the 997 weigh on this option.

The E63 would serve as a daily driver in a 50+ mile roundtrip commute. The extra torque and power potential between the 2 choices is not critical to me in this case. I would like to keep the car 4-6 years.

Questions:
Are the differences between the model year and engines worth it in the opinion of the forum? This plus the new car-ness will carry roughly a $20,000-$25,000 cost difference from what I can tell.

Does anyone have any other advice in this area?

Does anyone see any benefit in holding off on the purchase for another 5-6 months (I can't go much longer than that)?

This is a great forum and has been very helpful so far. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to joining the owner ranks soon.

Last edited by Fracman; 03-08-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:04 PM

E63
If it were me, and looking at 4-6 years in the e63 I.e. no lease, I'd look to buy slightly used and save the vast difference
With the 991 out I'd sell the 997 now and get maximum value out of it.
On the other hand if you want to enjoy it for a few more months, you will probably be able to save that much more on an e63 then.
So from a financial standpoint, you can swap now or then and the delta will probably be the same.
Regardless, I don't think you will be able to enjoy all 3 with new twins and besides, a ford gt as the one extra will be plenty. In fact you ll probably use the gt much less than you do now. So I wouldn't bother with all three.

Last edited by Midcont; 03-08-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
I would do similar with selling or trading in the 997 for a used E63. It's too bad the '10 and '11 don't have the wagon version since that will be really useful especially with the twins. Also agree with above that it is likely that you will end up using the gt much less than now. Personally, I went with the M156 engine since it is NA and the only engine fully designed by AMG, plus I figure it's the last opportunity for a NA before the obligated forced induction engines in the future.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
E63 AMG, E60 M5
Power between the 6.2 and 5.5 is pretty much similar. If you plan on modding it for more power go for the 5.5 If you plan of leaving it stock which i'm guessing you will then go for the 6.2 all naturally aspirated power and save some coin and keep the 997 as well. Either way you won't be dissapointed. Good luck. I just had twins myself. Enjoy your sleep now!!!
Old 03-11-2012, 03:24 PM

2012 E63 AMG
Given you are only planning to keep it 4-6 years, you would probably be better off going the slightly used route, even if it means not having the TT. I love my 5.5TT but I also plan to keep it for ~7-10 years and therefore will ride the depreciation all the way down, so the pain of the first 3-4 years of depreciation wont be so bad.

The second factor to consider are features... And finding the car that has exactly the features you want. This is one of the reasons I wanted to have one built. It has every feature I want, and none of the features I do not want.

Lastly, if things go as planned, MY13 will have a completely revamped command system that finally gets the car into the "present - 3 years" (I.E. they will still be 3 years behind) from a In Car Entertainment perspective. This may have the effect of lowering the value on the MY12 cars to cose the gap between '11 and '12

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Russell
Old 03-12-2012, 12:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
E63 AMG, E60 M5
Originally Posted by russellm
Given you are only planning to keep it 4-6 years, you would probably be better off going the slightly used route, even if it means not having the TT. I love my 5.5TT but I also plan to keep it for ~7-10 years and therefore will ride the depreciation all the way down, so the pain of the first 3-4 years of depreciation wont be so bad.

The second factor to consider are features... And finding the car that has exactly the features you want. This is one of the reasons I wanted to have one built. It has every feature I want, and none of the features I do not want.

Lastly, if things go as planned, MY13 will have a completely revamped command system that finally gets the car into the "present - 3 years" (I.E. they will still be 3 years behind) from a In Car Entertainment perspective. This may have the effect of lowering the value on the MY12 cars to cose the gap between '11 and '12

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Russell
if you plan on keeping it that long then it's def worth it to purchase new, build it as you like, and ride out the depreciation.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:15 PM

Porsche 997
Update - Thanks for all of the feedback, it gave me a chance on re-framing the situation and I decided that I was probably going to keep the car longer. I looked around and found the right car and decided on a 2012 in steel gray. I'll post some pics once it arrives in a few days. As an added bonus, the dad of one of my friends is buying the 997 so we are "keeping it in the family" with the agreement to provide first right of refusal if he sells it.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:20 PM

W212 E63, 1994 Defender D90-Wifes, Panamera Turbo- Wifes, Track Car- looking... :(
I'd go for a slightly used CPO car. I got a 2010 with a 135K (yes 135k/7 year total Mercedes Benz wtty). This way, I don't even have to worry about costs over the period that I will own it. Also, I will probably sell with a year left on the wtty and probably 100K on the clock. (Important to know that I paid $4500 above and beyond the std MB CPO wtty I ONLY did this because it wasn't through a 3rd party and I don't pay a deductable or deal with hassles.)

So, because it is transferable the next buyer will be able to have some piece of mind and it will keep the resale higher.

But, with that in mind, the new 5.5L TT is a very very nice motor.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Originally Posted by LonghornE63
I'd go for a slightly used CPO car. I got a 2010 with a 135K (yes 135k/7 year total Mercedes Benz wtty). This way, I don't even have to worry about costs over the period that I will own it. Also, I will probably sell with a year left on the wtty and probably 100K on the clock. (Important to know that I paid $4500 above and beyond the std MB CPO wtty I ONLY did this because it wasn't through a 3rd party and I don't pay a deductable or deal with hassles.)

So, because it is transferable the next buyer will be able to have some piece of mind and it will keep the resale higher.

But, with that in mind, the new 5.5L TT is a very very nice motor.
Sounds similar to what I had written before somewhere on this forum. Totally agree and going along with the same thinking here,too.