W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Weather Air Suspension Malfunction?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 03:57 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
--
Cold Weather Air Suspension Malfunction?

Anyone run into the problem where if the car has been sitting overnight in very cold weather (25 degrees farenheit or lower) , the air suspension in the rear malfunctions?

This results in needing to drive 50 mph or less for a few miles...stopping the car. Stopping and restarting the engine. After which, the rear raises itself as it should, and is back in working order.

Definitely temp related, just curious if it's somewhat normal or an issue that someone else has come across.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:29 PM

--
never mind, found this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...en-parked.html
Old 04-03-2013, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
The message came up twice this past 2-3 months while I was driving. I didn't stop and just drove home and parked in the garage. The message was gone the next morning when I started the car.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
get your bellows changed out.....see mine and others post
Old 04-04-2013, 08:53 AM

--
VDub, ty for your earlier thread (the link to which I posted). I was just about to advise you, Otakki, to give that a complete read.

Fact of the matter is the tolerances for if the rear end of the car ever sinks like that are minuscule. If anyone is getting that error repeatedly there is likely an issue and it's likely the bellows.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Now I'm contemplating taking it in to have the bellows changed out. I have a feeling the dealer will be very resistant to warranty repair (per others' experience here on the forum) and just tell me not to worry about it.

Thus should I bring it to the service even if the rear has not dropped at all?
Old 04-04-2013, 05:42 PM

--
It's my understanding that the small hissing noise when you park is normal. Don't worry about that.

But there shouldn't be any noticeable dipping of the rear end when it's parked for any period of time. Cold weather or not.

If you see some lowering that you think is abnormal and/or you get that malfunction warning on the dash, make a service appointment.

Then, do one of two things. Advise them that based on the experience of others close to you it's likely the bellows. OR bring to their attention what my service advisor told me about today: There is a case document from Germany that tells MB to replace everything if they find any moisture in the system, as it will contaminate all components of the system. In the event they test for moisture and find it, they will go ahead and replace all components of your suspension.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black '10 E63
Originally Posted by otakki
Now I'm contemplating taking it in to have the bellows changed out. I have a feeling the dealer will be very resistant to warranty repair (per others' experience here on the forum) and just tell me not to worry about it.

Thus should I bring it to the service even if the rear has not dropped at all?
If you got a warning message(s) then I would think it should show up on the STAR Diagnostic tool. They should be able to perform the repair then.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

just get them changed before warrenty runs out
Old 02-04-2021, 11:40 AM

cls 550
Originally Posted by vdubpower
get your bellows changed out.....see mine and others post
hey there, so I have recently had this problem. Just took it into a garage yesterday. After doing some research on this forum before I took it in I told the mechanic it’s gonna be the bellowes. Can you guess what they did. First I got the run around about the creep test. They performed it. Still no results but I know it failed. My mechanics math was off on the original coversion on inches to mm. I should’ve got back in my car but I didn’t.

just got off phone, can you guess what he said I need to fix first. Level sensor in compressor, compressor, valve block.....hmmm where have I heard this before, the original author of this thread has the same thing.

I am going in and requesting only the bellowes be replaced. Do you concur still years later that this is the way to fix this issue?!?!

new member here, got my cls in September.

cheers guys . Thanks for all the info on this matter

ethric
Old 02-06-2021, 05:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same issue, curious if the replacing the bellows fixes it.

Originally Posted by Ethric Kadey
hey there, so I have recently had this problem. Just took it into a garage yesterday. After doing some research on this forum before I took it in I told the mechanic it’s gonna be the bellowes. Can you guess what they did. First I got the run around about the creep test. They performed it. Still no results but I know it failed. My mechanics math was off on the original coversion on inches to mm. I should’ve got back in my car but I didn’t.

just got off phone, can you guess what he said I need to fix first. Level sensor in compressor, compressor, valve block.....hmmm where have I heard this before, the original author of this thread has the same thing.

I am going in and requesting only the bellowes be replaced. Do you concur still years later that this is the way to fix this issue?!?!

new member here, got my cls in September.

cheers guys . Thanks for all the info on this matter

ethric
I’m having the same issue. Intermittent and only in cold weather and this is the second winter that I’ve owned the car and the issue is getting worse. Let me know if bellows solve it. Might just pull the trigger and get them.
Old 02-12-2021, 04:55 AM

cls 550
Final verdict

It indeed was the bellows. Had both replaced in the rear and it’s back to working order no problem, no drops that aren’t expected a couple mm if anything now. Thanks to this thread, i am so fortunate to have stumbled on this. Would’ve cost me soo much more. My highest respect to all those involved.

ethric Kadey
Old 02-12-2021, 07:14 AM

Thank you for following up on this!

Originally Posted by Ethric Kadey
It indeed was the bellows. Had both replaced in the rear and it’s back to working order no problem, no drops that aren’t expected a couple mm if anything now. Thanks to this thread, i am so fortunate to have stumbled on this. Would’ve cost me soo much more. My highest respect to all those involved.

ethric Kadey
I’ve determined with my own car that in this cold weather if I leave the suspension in comfort, no drops, almost like it locks out. As soon as I put it into sport/sport + I get a malfunction. I think I’m going to bite the bullet and just replace the bellows. Ordering today.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

How much did they charge for bellows
Old 02-12-2021, 01:09 PM

cls 550
Originally Posted by vdubpower
How much did they charge for bellows
I’m up here in igloo land, jokes if that offends anybody. I am here I toronto, cost 1900 before tax all in with labour as well

I saw somewhere on here someone had mentioned around 700 a piece for them so I figured I was close to that price

Old 03-03-2021, 12:00 PM

W212 E63 AMG
Had a similar issue, it was however my distribution box that leaked. Dealer replaced the box and pump because it was exposed to moisture. This only occurred in cold temps. I believe the tolerance was 25mil in 24 hours its allowed to sag, anymore than that its a leak. Took some serious arguing with the dealer to have this fixed as they denied any problem until they were blue in the face. I ended up leaving my car in the yard until the morning, showing up with a measuring tape and measuring before and after startup before they acknowledged there was a problem.
This took 4 visits to the stealership.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:48 PM

Gl450 2014
My 2014 GL450 suspension failed with 5 degrees F

Originally Posted by bonboon
Anyone run into the problem where if the car has been sitting overnight in very cold weather (25 degrees farenheit or lower) , the air suspension in the rear malfunctions?

This results in needing to drive 50 mph or less for a few miles...stopping the car. Stopping and restarting the engine. After which, the rear raises itself as it should, and is back in working order.

Definitely temp related, just curious if it's somewhat normal or an issue that someone else has come across.

My 2014 gl450 has 85k on it. I live in TX and woke up and found my car tilting on the driver's side. Started the car and car went back up but after driving for 10 minutes I got the message compressor cooling tg hen the the malfunction message and the car starts going low . Took it to Mercedes they indicated a small leak in the front left struts. They said the suspension usually start to fails after 80k. I really believe the weather dramatic change from around 32f to 5 F caused triggered this. I am just sharing experience in case others are having similar experiences.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:07 PM

cls 550
Originally Posted by Speedy63
Had a similar issue, it was however my distribution box that leaked. Dealer replaced the box and pump because it was exposed to moisture. This only occurred in cold temps. I believe the tolerance was 25mil in 24 hours its allowed to sag, anymore than that its a leak. Took some serious arguing with the dealer to have this fixed as they denied any problem until they were blue in the face. I ended up leaving my car in the yard until the morning, showing up with a measuring tape and measuring before and after startup before they acknowledged there was a problem.
This took 4 visits to the stealership.

I read it’s allowed to drop 1mm per degree dropped in Celsius. 25 mil in 24 hours is a lot. Especially if it didn’t drop 24 degrees. Hopefully yours stays fixed. I haven’t had an issue at all since I replaced my bellows. Cheers
Old 03-05-2021, 10:48 AM

W212 E63 AMG
According to my stealership its "X" amount per amount of time. They stated 25mil in 24 hours which is alot. My car would be slammed on could days. Like I stated, it was the valvebody that was the culprit in my case.