Sponsored by:

problems with home link

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 08:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2010 E63 AMG
problems with home link

I read in some post of people having trouble with their home link all of a sudden opening both garage doors when pushing just one of the buttons. I had this problem and took it to the dealer. They reset it and it now works fine. He said that if it happens again they will replace the unit under warranty.
Old 08-03-2013, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 442 Likes on 306 Posts
19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Mine keeps dropping the codes. It has happened so many times that I now don't even use it and just keep the original remote clipped on the visor. I'm impressed that your dealer said they would replace it. Mine just tells me to check the owners manual or more specifically points to the specific page if I ask about it while in the dealership.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:24 AM

2010 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by BACnMercedes
Mine keeps dropping the codes. It has happened so many times that I now don't even use it and just keep the original remote clipped on the visor. I'm impressed that your dealer said they would replace it. Mine just tells me to check the owners manual or more specifically points to the specific page if I ask about it while in the dealership.
I had programed mine 3 or 4 times and finally called the number in the owners manual about pushing one button that then activated both the doors after a short period time of working properly and they told me to take it to the dealer as they said the unit was defective and was bleeding the signals between the buttons and just before I took it to the dealer it had dropped all the programing, so that none of the buttons worked. The SA said that there was a fail safe system that if the mirror was broken off so the thief couldn't take it to your house and open the doors. He said that sometimes for no reason in would go into fail safe mode. He reset the system and told me if it did it again they would replace the mirror. When talking to home link people they also suggested that I clear the codes on the mirror and then reprogram the original remote and then go through the steps in the owners manual to program the mirror buttons again, but I didn't try that. Mine has been working properly in the 3 weeks since the dealer reprogramed it. Take it back and demand they reset it. If they give you any excuses let me know and I will give you the name and number of my dealer and they can tell them what they need to do to fix the problem. Hope this helps and let me know how thing work out for you.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black '10 E63
Mine did that a few times. I re-programmed but the problem kept coming back after a few days. I re-programmed yet again, keep the battery charged and the problem has not returned. It's been months without a hiccup.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks. But there comes a point where you just give up. My wife and I have decided that we will not give our local dealer another dime of our money. We will drive the 100+ miles to the next dealership unless it is a warranty issue and does not cost us anything. The last straw was when they tried to give us a loaner car, could not find the keys, they sent someone to get the spares from the front office and that person told us, (and I quote), "I don't care if a client is waiting on the car, I'm not giving you the spare key because you have lost to many in the past.". Then when I made a formal complaint later, the service manager forwarded the complaint to the spare key holder person and that lady contacted me and said that I just got caught up in their childish games but she never apologized. I waited almost 1 hr that day after dropping off my car for warranty work just to get a loaner car.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
I now don't even use it and just keep the original remote clipped on the visor.
This is what I have been doing since I first got the car, except I put it in the center console cup holder. I didn't want to bother with programming it so I have no idea if mine is working or not. Also I'm paranoid and don't want the possibility of someone other than myself or my wife being able to open the garage. Of course, I don't have any of my address left in the car or programmed into the navigation. On long trips, I just take my home remote with me.

As with the poor dealership experience, definitely look around. Try this site, dealerrater.com. I found an awesome service dealer using that and I didn't mind driving 100+ one-way to get there. From my experience, I think dealerrater.com is accurate.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:27 AM

2010 E63 AMG
Mine just started opening both doors again. Called the S.A. and he said that they would order a new mirror and call me to have it installed when it arrived.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LJMartin
Mine just started opening both doors again. Called the S.A. and he said that they would order a new mirror and call me to have it installed when it arrived.
Mine has done that in the past also (on my current car and precious ones). But my dealer just told me I'm doing something wrong.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:08 PM

2010 E63 AMG
Mine has done that in the past also (on my current car and precious ones). But my dealer just told me I'm doing something wrong.

Then take him home with you and have him or a tech do it. You can also take the owners manual to the dealer and call the number with the dealer listening and they will tell you that the unit is defective over the phone. As long as you follow each step it should work and if it doesn't then it needs to be replaced. Does yours ever lose all the programing once it is in use, so that it won't activate any of the doors.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeap. It has lost all the programs before also. I appreciate the help, and I should probably not complain about my problems, but I am just tired of dealing with my local shop. I have had countless problems; been told nothing was wrong with my car only to have it towed in 15 minutes later, been caught up in employees cheating the owner and me, been giving wrong advice, had my time wasted numerous times, had the bumper of my car replaced with the wrong one and had to deal with it, and of course been in the middle of employees feuding with each other (loaner car). Thankfully my wife and I really like driving MB, hate the fact that the BMW manufacturing plant is in our back yard so it appears everyone here drives one, and have found a great way to get our MB's serviced other than warranty work. Otherwise we would be driving who knows what!
Old 08-13-2013, 08:50 AM

2010 E63 AMG
Yeap. It has lost all the programs before also. I appreciate the help, and I should probably not complain about my problems, but I am just tired of dealing with my local shop. I have had countless problems; been told nothing was wrong with my car only to have it towed in 15 minutes later, been caught up in employees cheating the owner and me, been giving wrong advice, had my time wasted numerous times, had the bumper of my car replaced with the wrong one and had to deal with it, and of course been in the middle of employees feuding with each other (loaner car). Thankfully my wife and I really like driving MB, hate the fact that the BMW manufacturing plant is in our back yard so it appears everyone here drives one, and have found a great way to get our MB's serviced other than warranty work. Otherwise we would be driving who knows what!
I just bought the car in June. The nearest dealer is 30 miles away so I didn't know what to expect from them or had I heard anything good or bad about them. From your post it sounds like I hit the jackpot. The mirror should be covered under the original warranty.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:16 AM

2010 E63 AMG
Also I'm paranoid and don't want the possibility of someone other than myself or my wife being able to open the garage. Of course, I don't have any of my address left in the car or programmed into the navigation. On long trips, I just take my home remote with me.

You don't have your registration in the car? it has your address on it.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Originally Posted by LJMartin
You don't have your registration in the car? it has your address on it.
The registration and insurance paper were folded as thin as possible and in my wallet.