Sponsored by:

Carbon Brakes vs Standard Brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
11 X5M / 05 Gallardo
Carbon Brakes vs Standard Brakes

I am in the process of finalizing my E63S order and one of the remaining options Im torn with are the Carbon Ceramic Brakes. I have driven the new E63S with the standard brakes which are awesome, but I had a buddy that had a 2013 E63 and said the CCB are incredible.

Also aside from performance aspect I LOVE THE LOOKS of the CCB. I do realize the cost to replace the brakes are sky high, but since Im leasing the car and don't plan on putting to many miles I shouldn't have any issues. Also love the idea of low break dust. Any input would be great.

Thanks
Old 09-29-2013, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
I don't think it's worthwhile unless you plan to track it often.
Old 09-29-2013, 05:58 PM

2019 GLC 63
I just finalized my order WITH them. After researching and asking some AMG reps from Germany that were at my dealer last week, I went for it. The AMG guys said under normal driving they should last 300,000 km and under more 'aggressive driving' they will still last well over 150k, or so they said. Based on what others online and the service manager said, the steel rotors and pads will last much much less and will probably cost more if you are replacing them 4x as often as the CC equipment. Of course this is all academic as there really isnt any real world numbers on either a sedan or wagon from the last couple of years to confirm. If you can swing the upfront cost, then I say go for it.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:07 PM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
14 E63S Wagon, 16 GTS Edition1 (Sold), 17 SL450 designo edition
A service rep at my local dealer said the Carbon brakes are noisy when cold and as how most of my driving is local and the car will be my daily driver I decided not to order them.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'14 E63S, '13 G550, '06 E320 cdi, and a bunch of other stuff.
Are you going to be doing track days frequently?
Do you care about unsprung weight?

Under what circumstances is your friend using the CCBs? Would someone ever spend $9K on an option and then offer up that it was money not well spent? Does this other driver have significant seat time with a similar car with the standard brake setup?

Personally, I see this as a pointless option on a 2+ ton luxury sedan. For a track car? Maybe. There aren't many heavily-tracked cars that weigh 2 tons. For good reason.

You get gold-colored calipers and can say that you have "upgraded" brakes. Will they realistically perform *any* differently that the traditional setup while cruising around Southern Florida? Probably not.

I do think that it's difficult to have meaningful discussion about a brake system without knowing who's using them under which circumstances.

$0.02

*Edit* I have no firsthand experience with the W212 equipped with the CCB package. I've stepped into the binders on my new car and found them to be surprisingly good. In terms of pedal feel, progression and stopping power. Street use only. My car might only see one hot session on the track during its life with me.

Last edited by ace10; 09-29-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:10 PM

11 X5M / 05 Gallardo
Originally Posted by RJD AMG
I just finalized my order WITH them. After researching and asking some AMG reps from Germany that were at my dealer last week, I went for it. The AMG guys said under normal driving they should last 300,000 km and under more 'aggressive driving' they will still last well over 150k, or so they said. Based on what others online and the service manager said, the steel rotors and pads will last much much less and will probably cost more if you are replacing them 4x as often as the CC equipment. Of course this is all academic as there really isnt any real world numbers on either a sedan or wagon from the last couple of years to confirm. If you can swing the upfront cost, then I say go for it.
I spoke to a AMG Rep last week about getting the standard E63 vs. E63S and he told me that the E63S comes standard with the limited slip and although they orginally offered the limited slip as an option on the standard E63, Mercedes has decided not to offer it any longer, also he said the E63S had a bigger intercooler.

He also told me that when they do the track events CCB are much better then the standard brakes and he also mentioned if I didnt plan of tracking it wouldnt be nessary, but I do plan to do a few events per year and I think the CCB would be great to have. Orginally MB listed the CCB as a $12,8XX option
and now the price has droped to $8,950, so that got my attention. But I also agree with the other poster that the E63S isnt the ideal car for track events but Im figuring why not. Also love the looks and one of my biggest frustrations are brake dust and on the CCB its almost nonexistent. The only hard part I have todo is explain to my wife why I need $8,950 in brakes...lol
Old 09-30-2013, 06:21 PM

11 X5M / 05 Gallardo
Originally Posted by ace10
Are you going to be doing track days frequently?
Do you care about unsprung weight?

Under what circumstances is your friend using the CCBs? Would someone ever spend $9K on an option and then offer up that it was money not well spent? Does this other driver have significant seat time with a similar car with the standard brake setup?

Personally, I see this as a pointless option on a 2+ ton luxury sedan. For a track car? Maybe. There aren't many heavily-tracked cars that weigh 2 tons. For good reason.

You get gold-colored calipers and can say that you have "upgraded" brakes. Will they realistically perform *any* differently that the traditional setup while cruising around Southern Florida? Probably not.

I do think that it's difficult to have meaningful discussion about a brake system without knowing who's using them under which circumstances.

$0.02

*Edit* I have no firsthand experience with the W212 equipped with the CCB package. I've stepped into the binders on my new car and found them to be surprisingly good. In terms of pedal feel, progression and stopping power. Street use only. My car might only see one hot session on the track during its life with me.
Sir your reasoning is why Im still on the fence, but very well put.

My budddy who had them on his 2013 said he would never have bought the CCB, but the dealer gave him a great deal since it was a car they needed to move. But he mostly drives to the office and ocasionally 1/4 mile track use, and he said after having them he would definitely consider getting them again. He said he didnt realize how great they were just off a test drive.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
993, 2014 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by Topsupra
... I do plan to do a few events per year and I think the CCB would be great to have. ...
Then you definitely want them. Remember, this is a 4,400 lb car, which is truly NOT track-appropriate, so even if you do only one track day, you'll need the biggest best brakes possible.

If you track the car at all, clearly you have plenty of budget to justify the costs. I have a track-prepped 993 and a BMW race car and can't even possibly imagine taking an E63 on track. But I would ONLY track it with CCB, no way would I use the factory steel rotors! No way! I've seen more than enough brake failures on heavy cars (I do a lot of Audi club events).
Old 10-03-2013, 09:23 AM

2015 E63s, 2012 E63-all done , Saab 9-5 Aero (2) Honda CBR 929-sold
I dont have them on my car, but at the AMG driving academy (spring of '12), many of the cars we drove(sls, cls, e63) were equipped with cc setup. Every time we changed cars, I looked for one with the cc brakes, since I had never experienced them. Got a chance to drive E63 with them, and also with standard setup in the max straight line acceleration to stop box course, and you can tell the difference. However, the stock stopping package is pretty impressive on it's own, and the difference (imho) was not huge. Considering both setups get the job done , I don't need the cc setup, since I will never be tracking this car. regards , tom
Old 04-06-2014, 01:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
'19 GLC 63S, '17 911 TTS Cabrio, '16 Viper TA2.0, '15 E63S (sold),'12 Harley CVO 2212cc
Wondering what is the weight saving of the Carbon brakes over the standard ones?
On MB's site they refer to it as a 40% weight saving, but do not mention exact weight of either system. Since this is unsprung weight it should also helpwith both ride and acceleration, but enough to be noticable ?
Old 04-06-2014, 02:21 PM

11 X5M / 05 Gallardo
Originally Posted by SilveRT8
Wondering what is the weight saving of the Carbon brakes over the standard ones? On MB's site they refer to it as a 40% weight saving, but do not mention exact weight of either system. Since this is unsprung weight it should also helpwith both ride and acceleration, but enough to be noticable ?

When I wrote this post I was on the fence about getting the CCB, but after reading the posts and talking to a close friend of mine who had a 2013 E63 with the CCB I decided to got for it. So far I've had the car for 3 months and I LOVE MY CCB, they are fantastic!! The standard brakes are great but the CCB's are better, 70-75% less brake dust and they feel incredible during hard breaking, they look awesome with those giant rotors. Also many people mentioned they don't work well until they warn up but I have not noticed the need to warm them up, they work great even cold, also so far zero brake squeal. Also my buddy with the 2013 told me once you own a car with the CCB it's hard to go back to the standard brake set up. I couldn't agree more.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'12 E63 Wagon
The funny thing about CCB is that my experience leads me to believe its actually the opposite of the conventional wisdom.

You want CCB for the street and occasional track driving, but significant track driving would lead you to order a car without them.

There's only one way to wear them out (within the scope of even 10 years of ownership) and that with heavy track use.

When I track the Z06, I get to play in a pretty good run group. Most of the guys who play at that level (I'm not that great of a driver, but the Z is just such a weapon) have replaced their CC rotors for steelies.

I'm told that newer CC setups (gen n+1, where n is whatever I could afford) offer better track durability, but I haven't heard about many folks experiencing that yet.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
GL, E63
Originally Posted by cnolke
The funny thing about CCB is that my experience leads me to believe its actually the opposite of the conventional wisdom.

You want CCB for the street and occasional track driving, but significant track driving would lead you to order a car without them.

There's only one way to wear them out (within the scope of even 10 years of ownership) and that with heavy track use.

When I track the Z06, I get to play in a pretty good run group. Most of the guys who play at that level (I'm not that great of a driver, but the Z is just such a weapon) have replaced their CC rotors for steelies.

I'm told that newer CC setups (gen n+1, where n is whatever I could afford) offer better track durability, but I haven't heard about many folks experiencing that yet.
This is what I've heard too. They swap the steel rotors if they have CCB. Because the steel is much cheaper to replace, and the CCB is too expensive to replace.
not only wearing them, the CCB can be damaged by hard objects like rocks.
If 9k is nothing to you, surely go for it.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:00 PM

11 X5M / 05 Gallardo
Originally Posted by UAG1
This is what I've heard too. They swap the steel rotors if they have CCB. Because the steel is much cheaper to replace, and the CCB is too expensive to replace. not only wearing them, the CCB can be damaged by hard objects like rocks. If 9k is nothing to you, surely go for it.
In my case I leased the car for 3 years and I may do 4-5 track days while I own the car but most of my use will be street driving. As for the possibility of damaging a rotor, yes that's a risk but the odds of damaging all #4 are slim.

Again the standard brake set up is great but I also figured if i got the standard brakes I would have todo a complete brake job at least once during my 3 year lease and with the CCB I wouldn't need todo a brake job during my lease term.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
GL, E63
Originally Posted by Topsupra
In my case I leased the car for 3 years and I may do 4-5 track days while I own the car but most of my use will be street driving. As for the possibility of damaging a rotor, yes that's a risk but the odds of damaging all #4 are slim.

Again the standard brake set up is great but I also figured if i got the standard brakes I would have todo a complete brake job at least once during my 3 year lease and with the CCB I wouldn't need todo a brake job during my lease term.
depends on you include the servicing contract or not
if you do, brakes are included.
if not, paying 40% of 9k vs a steel brake job, may be worth it.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:16 PM

11 X5M / 05 Gallardo
Originally Posted by UAG1
depends on you include the servicing contract or not if you do, brakes are included. if not, paying 40% of 9k vs a steel brake job, may be worth it.
Agreed but CCB generally last at least 60-75 miles ( I've heard in some cases even longer depending on how you drive) before they require changing. Again In my case car will be back to MB well before that.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:15 AM

2019 GLC 63
My AMG rep told me that the rotors should last the life of the car under normal use, or up to 300,000 km. The pads will obviously need to be replaced before then. When I asked the service guys how often the steelies need to be replaced and he said every 50k or less and its about 5k to do a steel brake job, I figure I may even save money in the long run if I only have to replace pads a couple of times while I own the car...just my .02
Old 04-10-2014, 09:03 AM

'19 GLC 63S, '17 911 TTS Cabrio, '16 Viper TA2.0, '15 E63S (sold),'12 Harley CVO 2212cc
Per MB site :
AMG Carbon-Ceramic braking system
Optional / $8,950
Specially developed brakes cut weight and offer excellent braking performance on the track. Gold-painted calipers feature "AMG Carbon Ceramic" logos. Harder, longer-wearing carbon-fiber-reinforced ceramic discs endure extreme heat and loads, for even shorter stopping distances and higher fade-resistance in high-performance driving. The two-piece floating discs are larger up front (15.8 inches), with higher total braking force, yet 40 percent lighter, to enhance suspension and steering response

So for someone like me who plans to keep the car 4-5 years and do 75-80K with an occasionnal track day and drag strip fun, this option starts to make sense considering the dayly benefits of : better braking force, less fade, less brake dust, less unsprung weight for better accel and ride, steering response. Saving the cost of a $5k steelie replacement at 50K miles, and the WOW factor when a car guy notices those Gold calipers and you mention that it comes with the Carbon Ceramic option : Priceless!
Old 04-10-2014, 01:24 PM

'10 F150 FX4 SCrew. '14 S212S
They are $13K in Canada.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:56 PM

$13,750. I hope they are everything they should be !
Old 04-10-2014, 08:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2008 Saab 93 TurboX SC (BSR stage 1)/2014 E63 S Wagon (Rebellion Tuned/Renntech Sport Mufflers)
I cant wait to be able to comment on these things... once car gets here eventually in the next couple of months/year/decade...
Old 04-10-2014, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by kart125
I cant wait to be able to comment on these things... once car gets here eventually in the next couple of months/year/decade...
Did you reorder with Laval?
My current lease comes up in Oct, but still undecided between ordering an S sedan or Wagon?
Will get a quote from Silverstar and Boucherville

Last edited by SilveRT8; 04-10-2014 at 11:49 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2008 Saab 93 TurboX SC (BSR stage 1)/2014 E63 S Wagon (Rebellion Tuned/Renntech Sport Mufflers)
Yes I reordered with Laval since I have a good relation with salesman and director. They worked hard to find a quick PO for build but it's still a couple of months away from my driveway!
Old 04-11-2014, 01:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63 S
Originally Posted by kart125
Yes I reordered with Laval since I have a good relation with salesman and director. They worked hard to find a quick PO for build but it's still a couple of months away from my driveway!
I feel bad for you...you have been waiting forever... I have 8000km on my car already!

BTW I booked for the tremblant 2 day this fall... you going?
Old 04-11-2014, 02:04 PM

'10 F150 FX4 SCrew. '14 S212S
I have nearly 5000km on my wagon. That is a lot for me as I usually only drive my cars ~12K km / year.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carbon Brakes vs Standard Brakes