Sponsored by:

Took delivery today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 12:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63 S
Took delivery today

Was such a great feeling to be in the car after waiting so long. It was worth the wait for sure.

First impressions

- Tonnes of low end torque. This car basically belittles every day driving situations. You feel very powerful driving this car.

-I'm coming from a 2010 C63 PP which isn't exactly a limp d*ck car, but around town on the same roads the E feels noticeably faster. I don't know if it's the AWD or more torque... probably both.

- it's definitely bigger than the C. First few kms were tentative as I got accustomed to the larger size of the E.

- it's heavier too. Which helps the car feel more comfortable and makes it more enjoyable to drive slowly, but it doesn't feel as tossable or as 'raw' as the C.

- Bearing the above in mind the C class did feel very much like the 'small car big engine' ride that it is. With the larger E and the smaller motor it felt better balanced, which was noticeable at speed

- C63 does sound better and turns heads more with the sound. I will miss that big, loudass motor.

-Fastest I hit was a little over 200km/h... the E felt more stable at speed... really looking forward to my first early morning highway run after break in is up.

- The car builds and carries speed with very little fuss. It feels more cooly efficient than the brutish rep bestowed on the RWD E63. I for one like that and would trade drama for speed, but I understand and respect those who feel differently.

- Pirelli sottozeros are good winter tires in the dry!

- There is no way I will last 1500km for a break in. Already broke some rules tonight. Be lucky to hit 200-300 before I bury that pedal for the full meal deal

- There really is nothing like a new car... the smell, feel of the leather, the newness factor. Yeah you lose a tonne of money on resale but a brand new top of the line benz is something special. I'll do it again.

- There is a tonne of tech in this car. More than I want right now to be honest. I disabled almost everything except the TC and the blind spot assist. The active high beams work well, I was impressed by them. they turn themselves off when cars are approaching. I guess for the money you pay MB wants you to get some gizmos.

-the B&O stereo is pretty stellar. At first I wasn't sure if it was worth the upgrade but my ears are ringing after some bassy music. Wouldn't give it back for $5gs in my pocket after experiencing it. When the traffic sucks you can always crank the stereo.

- Manual mode lets you start off in second gear. Really like this! I was always a little choked I couldn't do this in my C63. I wonder if the car will do it in 3rd... gonna try tomorrow.

- it's not comfortable to rest your arm on the window sill with the seat in the lowest position.

- I immediately found myself tightening the side bolsters as much as I could to replicate the feeling of the seats in the C. It comes close but isn't quite there. The rest of the seats are more comfortable in the E though.

- i wasn't sure what to do with my right hand at first. In the C I would rest it on the arm rest and on the shifter. I would also shift with the shift lever quite a bit, and you can't do that in the E which is a bit disappointing.

- I tried S and S+ but I am a manual mode guy. Can't see how i won't be in that mode 99% of the time like I was in the C.

There will surely be more. I'll post a bunch more pics in the coming days. For those of you waiting for the car stay patient it's worth it
Old 10-26-2013, 02:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2021 G63 & 2022 G63
Good for you! Can't wait to see pics...
Old 10-26-2013, 05:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz E63
Grats! Looking forward to your pics...great write up and advice. Trying to be patient...lol...
Old 10-26-2013, 08:59 AM

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts
2021 GLS63
Congrats Choco! Finally! Pics when you get a chance. Glad the Pirellis handle well in the dry.

Enjoy in good health.

X
Old 10-28-2013, 06:03 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2008 Saab 93 TurboX SC (BSR stage 1)/2014 E63 S Wagon (Rebellion Tuned/Renntech Sport Mufflers)
Congratulations Choco! Glad to see you like it and that all the waiting is worth it. I read your thoughts with great interest as I also am coming from a C63. I'm glad to read that the car seems well balanced despite the added size and weight. I always tought the c was the perfect size but I needed AWD and the wagon space will be much appreciated with the 2 kids groing and needing always more stuff to travel! Enjoy and share some "later" toughts as they come along.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Choco, congratulations on the new vehicle. Use it in good health. Can you comment on the gear shifting ? Does it shift slow or miss shifts ? And how does it feel compared to your C63? Thank you.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:44 AM

2014 E63 S
Originally Posted by bgluckdo
Choco, congratulations on the new vehicle. Use it in good health. Can you comment on the gear shifting ? Does it shift slow or miss shifts ? And how does it feel compared to your C63? Thank you.
I can't really comment on the transmission all that much, because I've been pretty gentle on it with so few miles on the car. I don't want to spike the revs too much until it's broken in a little more.

The few downshifts I did at 'speed' did feel faster and crisper than the 7G tronic tranny on the C. Upshifts are better but haven't 'blown me away' so to speak. No misshifts yet.

The only poor reviews I've heard of the tranny is that it can't keep up with the motor at full boil. Winter is setting in here in Calgary so it will be a while before I can run it through a few gears at full throttle.

That said I will have it on a track in vegas next wednesday and that will be a different story...
Old 10-28-2013, 11:52 AM

993, 2014 E63 Wagon
IMHO the bigger problem with the tranny is that it can be lethargic coming out of corners. Mid-corner, you hit the gas and it's still trying to figure out which gear it wants, and nothing happens for a second or two. I'm starting to manage this by manually downshifting going into corners to get it to 2nd or 3rd BEFORE the corner. Maybe S+ would accomplish the same, not sure yet.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:05 PM

2014 E63 S
I'd never know that as I'm in manual all the time. Only time I use auto is in traffic.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:50 PM

993, 2014 E63 Wagon
Yes, manual is probably the best way to drive these.