Sponsored by:

FYI Windshield noise.. E63 SAMG 2014

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ml 350
FYI Windshield noise.. E63 SAMG 2014

I did ED on a E63 S and there was a wind noise on the front windshield, finally got the car back and read on the private lounge that someone else had the same issue, his Service Advisor mentioned replacement of a frame strip, so I came home and started to check the filler strip that goes on the sides of the windshield from the front to the back, in my case this was the cause of the noise. After pressing it carefully I notice where it was not completely pressed and the problem seems to not exit after several tests. Hopefully this may help if you happen to have the same issue.. good luck
Old 11-26-2013, 12:40 PM

2014 E63s Sedan
So the filler strip around the windshield was just not firmly seated and was protruding a little, creating noise?
Old 11-26-2013, 01:34 PM

Ml 350
Yes that strip is causing the noise, but it also reacts to temperature change and the noise return again, I'm trying to isolate where it's loose so that maybe I can add silicone to the base if possible other wise there is another member on private lounge that is having the part replace.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2008 Saab 93 TurboX SC (BSR stage 1)/2014 E63 S Wagon (Rebellion Tuned/Renntech Sport Mufflers)
Originally Posted by thoramge63
Yes that strip is causing the noise, but it also reacts to temperature change and the noise return again, I'm trying to isolate where it's loose so that maybe I can add silicone to the base if possible other wise there is another member on private lounge that is having the part replace.
I would bring it to dealer for proper repalcement of the part. Maybe they can learn from it to prevent problems on future built cars (mine included!)
Old 11-26-2013, 07:06 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 E63S
Just to add... it's not silicone but "urethane" that you'll want to use if your trying any experimentation. Usually, the weather strip moulding is placed onto the windshield (by the supplier) and then the whole rack is shipped into the assembly plant where usually a robot with pick, apply a bead of urethane and then align and press onto the body.

So, if the weather strip has moved or is not seated, I'd suggest you have the dealer fix it properly. There have been cases where a lack of urethane can create a water leak and then water flows into areas you wouldn't imagine (like fuse box area etc..) creating more havoc.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:35 PM

Ml 350
Originally Posted by nynd
Just to add... it's not silicone but "urethane" that you'll want to use if your trying any experimentation. Usually, the weather strip moulding is placed onto the windshield (by the supplier) and then the whole rack is shipped into the assembly plant where usually a robot with pick, apply a bead of urethane and then align and press onto the body.

So, if the weather strip has moved or is not seated, I'd suggest you have the dealer fix it properly. There have been cases where a lack of urethane can create a water leak and then water flows into areas you wouldn't imagine (like fuse box area etc..) creating more havoc.
Thank you for the info, at leas here in california rain is not such a big issue, but yes I have to take it to the dealer, F...ng noise and no ECO or Driving assist.