W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have an Obsidian Black 2014 E63?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 08:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'14 E63S, '13 G550, '06 E320 cdi, and a bunch of other stuff.
The paino black does look similar to black plastic. IMO. It's difficult to notice a difference between the plastic mid-door accent strip and piano black on the upper trim of the door.

I don't think black Ash is anything special, but there is some graining visible and the light does play a bit in the finish. It's fine.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
Piano black is just black plastic with gloss. Its not wood or anything special. And the fingerprints are horrible with it. I should go ahead and get my center cf'd
Old 12-14-2013, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Corvette Z06/2011 BMW M3
Originally Posted by kart125
I was also thinking about piano black trim on my order but turned away from it after having seen both black hash wood and piano side to side. I feel the hash wood looks a lot better in person than in the pictures. Conversly, the piano looks like regular black shiny plastic... Plus the salesman told me finger prints show up a lot on piano.

I would have liked a brushed aluminium trim made available like on "regular" e class. Weird that you cant get it.

my opinion!
I've been rethinking a lot lately as far as colors and options go. In reality, I would be thrilled with any color combo and options. But, I'm gonna be ordering mine so I obviously have to narrow down the choices. While my current choice was the light brown and piano black trim, I might go with my original choice of black leather and satin wood trim. I like the open pore look and feel of the wood. I still have time to decide. I'm gonna continue looking at the different colors and options to finalize my decision. Seeing that night styling pkge on that black/black E63-S yesterday has thrown a monkey wrench in my thinking. Looked so hot.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63 S
Originally Posted by vdubpower
Piano black is just black plastic with gloss. Its not wood or anything special. And the fingerprints are horrible with it. I should go ahead and get my center cf'd
Sales guy told me it's a deeply stained wood when I asked as I believed the same thing.

Fingerprints aren't a big deal as you aren't touching the dash a lot, or where the trim is on the door. I'm at 2200 KMs and they still look fine.

My greater concern was the centre console taking a beating but it is holding up pretty well too. Centre console isn't available in anything other than piano black, which is why I went with the trim to match.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63 S
Originally Posted by 6.3AMG
that night styling pkge on that black/black E63-S yesterday has thrown a monkey wrench in my thinking. Looked so hot.
Try and get a look at the carbon exterior package... I think you'll be wowed even more. Looks real sharp in person.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
i dont believe that its deeply stained wood for a second.....its plastic, im pretty sure of it...

it pics up dust alot too, atleast for the center and shows it, i polish my cf interior and center black with car wax, make it a little more slick

i like how the new cars have real leather on teh dash uppers, unlike the MB tex that mine has...but atleast mine wont fade down the road...
Old 12-14-2013, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Chocofishez
Try and get a look at the carbon exterior package... I think you'll be wowed even more. Looks real sharp in person.
I'm sure. Too bad its damn pricey at $5500.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Brushed aluminum trim would be nice, too. Piano black basically looks like plastic. It's like what it says--piano black! Look at the surface of a black piano and you will see it looks like plastic with a thick gloss over it, despite it being wood. Those piano trim pieces likely get processed the same way, except with metal reinforcement underneath to prevent splintering in case of an accident.

So is it now real leather on the upper dash?...I would rather have MBTex for less headache and maintenance.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:23 PM

I dont think its real Nappa leather. I read somewhere that its Nappa like. Not 100% sure.