W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member Intro and Opinions requested :)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML550
New Member Intro and Opinions requested :)

Hi All,

Before I start what may end up being a lengthy post, I wanted to say thank to all those on the board and their activity. I have been evaluating/shopping AMG for a few months now and I have spent significant amounts of time reading and am very appreciative of all the knowledge I have gained from you all sharing yours. Probably doesn't get said enough, but I have no doubts there are a lot of others either new or lurking that appreciate all the activity and insights. With that ...

I am trying to stay within a budget of 40K - I could go higher, but for some reason, 40K is a mental block I think I currently drive an F250 King Ranch, but we are soon having our first kiddo. The truck is great for some things - but not what I really want to be driving. I was originally thinking about getting an older 911 (996/993) as a secondary/fun car, but that still leaves the truck as the main car which I don't want anymore. So the thought is a 4 door automatic (wife friendly) that satisfies my want to get back into something more sporty.

I am currently evaluating - and would really like any thoughts opinions on the below:

2008 e63 - can get in less and can probably find one with low mileage well under my 40K budget, but it is also 6 years old. Also seems a little easier to find these with P30 package which is something I would very much like, but not sure I have it as a requirement.

2009 e63 - only big change from the above is the COMAND system really, but it will be newer and prices seem relatively close to 2008's in some situations (found one with no P30 and 40k miles for ~35K).

2010 e63 - this is probably my biggest struggle. Massive changes to the interior of the car, but to hit the 40K, seems I would have to deal with a much higher mileage total. Ones around 40K I have seen are in the 60K/low 70K mileage.

Based on the above, is the opinion to go with lower mileage and a little older or deal with the higher mileage to get to 2010? I would not be putting much mileage on as I probably drive 5K - 6K per year. I have an old RR that I drive around as well.

As additional information - cars I have cross shopped:

BMW M5 (same years) - personally, I loved the car on test drives. However; for daily use I don't love SMG and think it may be a little wearing. Plus, it seems like the M5 has a few more mechanical issues.

e550 (should easily be able to get 2010 on budget) - I love the 550 series as my wife drives an ML550 and it's a great smooth sleeper. While it does have a fair amount of performance, I just think I would feel a little "empty" with this - it doesn't satisfy the emotional part.

e55 - love the car and know it is very loved on the forum - even my mechanic says go with it However; 2006 is getting a little old to have as the main car even though the engine is often described as bullet proof. I am not really looking to tune something. I actually found a 2006 locally for about 12K (130K miles but in great shape) that I have thought about just getting - regardless of what I do for main car. 2 better than 1!

CLS 63 (same years) - my wife likes the styling better than she likes the E, but I don't think I really do. Also, I don't think the console in the backseat middle makes as much sense with a little one.

Jag XFR, CTS V, Audi, Mas Quattro - for various reasons, while i like some things about each, I don't like as much overall as the 63.

Porsche Cayenne Turbo/Turbo S - seems odd with the above group I have, however; thought a little about an SUV and this would probably be the only one i would look at. The Turbo S ends up turning out somewhat like the e55 though - 8 years old. The Turbo ends up stopping at about '08 for my budget.

So - longest first post ever? Just wondering if you were in the same situation which way would you lean. 2008 and have some cash left over (for a warranty maybe), 2009 and get a little update for a little more cash or push it a little for the 2010?

Thanks again and in advance.

Last edited by OverCusser; 02-07-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Welcome. It's good that you are also thinking about a warranty, which IMO is really important for cars like this unless you have a large budget set aside for repairs. Within the budget, any of those three model years are really pushing near the limit of factory warranty. However, you might be able to get one of them and have fun for a few years before you sell/trade-in and move on unless you opt for non-factory warranty or keep your fingers crossed that nothing will break. It's a hard choice, but personally I would go for W212 due to the drastic improvement in safety and structure compared to W211 especially when you have a family and a kiddo on the way.