2015 dodge charger hellcat 707 hp, article :

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
But then your dodge car will only legally run 10's (slicks) stock at the track and at a stoplight on the street where you will be driving the dodge 99% of the time with me and my pos overpriced e63S, we will be pretty much evenly matched up. Ok. We are talking in circles now. Dodge rules all. And btw i do not advocate street racing. maybe hellcat owners should carry YouTube videos of them pulling 10's at the drag strip that they can show is Benz owners at street stoplights
Just to be clear, the 10.80 certified time was on a drag radial. There is a big difference between a slick and a drag radial. There are guys driving around on drag radials all day long. You will get walked on in an E63S.....

The 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat is the fastest muscle car ever with a National Hot Rod Association-certified ¼-mile elapsed time of 11.2 seconds at 125 miles per hour (mph) with stock Pirelli P275/40ZR20 P Zero tires. With drag radials, the run dropped to just 10.8 seconds at 126 mph!

http://www.drivesrt.com/news/2014/07...econd-car.html
Old 08-26-2014, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'12 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by callmiro
Just to be clear, the 10.80 certified time was on a drag radial. There is a big difference between a slick and a drag radial. There are guys driving around on drag radials all day long. You will get walked on in an E63S.....

The 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat is the fastest muscle car ever with a National Hot Rod Association-certified ¼-mile elapsed time of 11.2 seconds at 125 miles per hour (mph) with stock Pirelli P275/40ZR20 P Zero tires. With drag radials, the run dropped to just 10.8 seconds at 126 mph!

http://www.drivesrt.com/news/2014/07...econd-car.html
What portion of buyers will be skilled enough to launch a 707hp car on 275-wide street tires? Same portion of skilled racers that I observe at the drag strip? (~10%) I beat "faster" cars all night long. You can't just sit down in a 707hp car (even with drag radials and a slushbox) and put down a low 11.

I don't own one of either, but I predict that fast AWD cars (with auto shifting) such as 911 Turbos S, GT-R, E63S, etc will clean up on a majority of these Dodges, on and off the strip in real life.

Cool car. I'm all for bigger HP muscle-car wars. But we all remember the final, actual effect the 660hp Mustang Shelby 500 has had.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
You could also sell your nice suits and replace them with stafford suits from penny's, drink folgers over Starbucks and shop Payless for shoes and never set foot in a nice steakhouse again.... There's lots of things we could do to be financially "efficient". You gotta do what's right for you ... Even buying that dodge.

And you would mod that dodge that's already wicked fast and potentially lose the factory warranty on a car with some of the worst documented reliability stats (as per the post above), and you would buy a used SUV and incur some risk of reliability there and pay another insurance premium on the additional car?

You could also buy a used vette for $30k and add $10k in mods and achieve similar results but have a better performing car

I like your thoughts and respect them, I just don't agree with the rationale considering you are a self described "amg guy" (you drive a sweet car btw). You buy amg not just for the performance and heritage but for the marque and identification with amg ownership and exclusivity. Similar reason a guy or gal buys a Porsche or Ferrari. Not saying you, but guys that juuust squeeze into a used amg and then fret the maintenance and upkeep shouldn't have been in the amg to begin with

$0.02

While I respect your opinion and believe you have some valid points, I think you may be over simplifying the point.

I personally wouldn't buy the Dodge, mod the crap out of it and then go buy a used SUV. If I bought one it would be my only car and it wouldn't be modded (well probably).
My only point is that these cars represent a tremendous value over an AMG for at least 80% of the finish and fit and nearly all the performance (AWD is a game changer). And I am not just talking about MSRP - they will be cheaper in nearly every regard.
Additionally, I think the Dodge will be aggressive and unique enough to have the same "street presence" as an AMG, albeit to a broader, less discerning market. There is no question the Hellcat's are aimed directly at the enthusiast market.
I get your point, I bought a Bell & Ross watch over a Rolex because I liked it better...and it helps that I don't see every Lawyer I run into wearing one (can't swing a dead cat in the DMV without hitting at least three Lawyers...lol).

Would I be happier in the Dodge from purely a no cost car vs car comparison...no. But I certainly could find a very good use for the money I didn't spend - and for me that means something.

Cheers!

Last edited by Worth the wait; 08-26-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
Originally Posted by cnolke
What portion of buyers will be skilled enough to launch a 707hp car on 275-wide street tires? Same portion of skilled racers that I observe at the drag strip? (~10%) I beat "faster" cars all night long. You can't just sit down in a 707hp car (even with drag radials and a slushbox) and put down a low 11.

I don't own one of either, but I predict that fast AWD cars (with auto shifting) such as 911 Turbos S, GT-R, E63S, etc will clean up on a majority of these Dodges, on and off the strip in real life.

Cool car. I'm all for bigger HP muscle-car wars. But we all remember the final, actual effect the 660hp Mustang Shelby 500 has had.

The capability of the car is only limited by the capability of the driver. And you're comparing cars that are $40k-$60k and over double the cost.....

Just remember, if your argument is around traction.....then for less than $1000 you can have a pair of the stickiest 335s

And think about how hard this thing will pull on a highway roll on....
Old 08-26-2014, 12:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by Worth the wait
While I respect your opinion and believe you have some valid points, I think you may be over simplifying the point.

I personally wouldn't buy the Dodge, mod the crap out of it and then go buy a used SUV. If I bought one it would be my only car and it wouldn't be modded (well probably).
My only point is that these cars represent a tremendous value over an AMG for at least 80% of the finish and fit and nearly all the performance (AWD is a game changer). And I am not just talking about MSRP - they will be cheaper in nearly every regard.
Additionally, I think the Dodge will be aggressive and unique enough to have the same "street presence" as an AMG, albeit to a broader, less discerning market. There is no question the Hellcat's are aimed directly at the enthusiast market.
I get your point, I bought a Bell & Ross watch over a Rolex because I liked it better...and it helps that I don't see every Lawyer I run into wearing one (can't swing a dead cat in the DMV without hitting at least three Lawyers...lol).

Would I be happier in the Dodge from purely a no cost car vs car comparison...no. But I certainly could find a very good use for the money I didn't spend - and for me that means something.

Cheers!
Your points are well received. On a totally separate point you're likely more likely to be pulled over in the stock trim hellcat vs the 63... For the fact that you'll always wanna light up those rear tires! Around me in the Chicago burbs, it's $150 for noise pollution (squealing tires) and that doesn't take into account if they get you for wreckless driving on top of that

Also, if these hellcats take off and sell as well as everyone here seems to think they will (me included) I'm curious how long this bargain basement price of $60k will last

Between a used w212 e63 for $60k and a new hellcat... Both rwd, now THAT would be a difficult choice for me... And the pragmatic me would buy the dodge in black on black and get a license plate frame that said "i almost bought a used amg"

Last edited by PeterUbers; 08-26-2014 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by callmiro
The capability of the car is only limited by the capability of the driver. And you're comparing cars that are $40k-$60k and over double the cost.....

Just remember, if your argument is around traction.....then for less than $1000 you can have a pair of the stickiest 335s

And think about how hard this thing will pull on a highway roll on....
I agree with jay Leno when he says most of the fun with cars happens between 20 and 70mph

But on a highway roll this hellcat with the 8spd will be nuts

Does it have an LSD?
Old 08-26-2014, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
2006 E55
And the pragmatic me would buy the dodge in black on black and get a license plate frame that said "i almost bought a used amg"

LOL!