W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63

Depreciation. Wow!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2014 | 11:05 AM

'14 E63S, '13 G550, '06 E320 cdi, and a bunch of other stuff.
Originally Posted by InTheBenz0
What if you tune a non S and do NOT tune the S?

It's the same Engine and the same turbos.

Mercedes tuned their engine for longevity, emissions compliance, power curve, etc. Aftermarket tuners will tune for a different set of requirements.

They're not comparable. Especially due to the fact that the factory-tuned car will retain it's full powertrain warranty. And will be eligible for ELW out to seven years and 1XX,000 miles.

To the best of my understanding, aftermarket tuners will not cover damage and defects in the powertrain.

Either a warranty is important to a buyer or it is not. That's what it comes down to in my decision matrix.

I have no interest in footing the bill on an AMG powertrain repair. Ever.

$0.02
Old 09-09-2014 | 11:08 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2012 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by InTheBenz0
What if you tune a non S and do NOT tune the S?
Maybe I am not being clear. It doesn't matter what you start with after our tune the final HP and Tq numbers will be the same. If an un-tuned S raced a NON S model with our tune the NON s model would be considerably faster.

Eric
Old 09-09-2014 | 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E63 S
Originally Posted by ace10
It's the same Engine and the same turbos.

Mercedes tuned their engine for longevity, emissions compliance, power curve, etc. Aftermarket tuners will tune for a different set of requirements.

They're not comparable. Especially due to the fact that the factory-tuned car will retain it's full powertrain warranty. And will be eligible for ELW out to seven years and 1XX,000 miles.

To the best of my understanding, aftermarket tuners will not cover damage and defects in the powertrain.

Either a warranty is important to a buyer or it is not. That's what it comes down to in my decision matrix.

I have no interest in footing the bill on an AMG powertrain repair. Ever.

$0.02
Yes unfortunately no AMG tuner offer the kind of warranty that Dinan does for its BMW tunes: Warranty matching the factory one for the full length of the factory warranty -- including damage to the power train if caused by the tune. Fortunately you don't hear too many stories of tune only mods to AMG engines blowing them up. But that is a risk you run if you tune.