Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My sprintbooster review; MCT E63S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 08:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'14 C63 507, '11 C300, '96 Cobra, '91 Mr2
I was able to repro this on the 507 tonight...same exact throttle lag at low speed. Sorry guys
Old 04-15-2015, 09:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,024 Likes on 1,413 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by unagi1
Alright, so I tried this out -- coasting to a stop from various speeds and different modes (s,s+,m), either at a stop sign or coasting to a red light that turned green, etc...then going 100% throttle.

The good news, at least from a consistency standpoint:
The lag is definitely there, but none of the stalling or bucking reported. A good second and a half of no response, then car jumps into action.

The bad news (for those frustrated with the issue):
However, this is not how I drive the car which explains why I have never a) ran into this issue or b) perceive it as a problem during day-to-day driving.

Prior to 2011 when I picked up the E55, I'd never owned a car with an automatic/MCT/etc. Drove a manual trans mr2, 2 cobras, 335i, etc. A few had lightened flywheels, some had turbos at high boost whose power delivery would punish you if you stomped on the gas any where in the rev range. At any rate, I always rolled on the throttle just out of habit. Lots of track and SCCA Solo events have taught me the same way.

From a gas pedal point of view, I am still driving these cars like they have 3 pedals -- and I didn't even realize it until I saw this thread.

1)Green light turns red and I need to turn left? Step on gas slowly until wet clutch engages, wait for car to pass and then increase gas
2)Coasting to stop light that just turned green? Foot on gas past dead-pedal threshold, then hold until gas needed to keep going
3)Coasting stop at stop sign? If uphill, keep gas on pedal like you would when holding revs and letting clutch slip with left pedal. If downhill, just use cars' momentum to keep revs up and roll onto throttle from point of engagement.

This car in particular does not like sudden throttle inputs at low speed, and I have been able to get around it by constantly getting to the correct threshold on the gas pedal for it to keep the trans engaged and not stalled.
You'll get the bucking if you aggressively stop and them jump on the throttle before you come to a complete stop and go wot ... Then it stumbles into first gear ... Even 2015 owners have this issue, including 14 s63 coupe and sedan owners

Oh well, like you, I drive the car with a slow roll out and then get on it and I have gotten used to it and I can continue to love this car... But hopefully Benz will one day have a dsg or pdk like trans for this car and eliminate this stumbling and lag

So the 507 has it too??

Last edited by PeterUbers; 04-15-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

The following users liked this post:
robfolland (08-22-2019)
Old 04-15-2015, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
You'll get the bucking if you aggressively stop and them jump on the throttle before you come to a complete stop and go wot ... Then it stumbles into first gear ... Even 2015 owners have this issue, including 14 s63 coupe and sedan owners

Oh well, like you, I drive the car with a slow roll out and then get on it and I have gotten used to it and I can continue to love this car... But hopefully Benz will one day have a dsg or pdk like trans for this car and eliminate this stumbling and lag

So the 507 has it too??
507 has the same lag when you slam on the gas at low speeds, same tests as E63S. To be clear, I can't repro the stumbling in either vehicle. Cars are either lagging or taking off like bats from hell.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
'19 GLC 63S, '17 911 TTS Cabrio, '16 Viper TA2.0, '15 E63S (sold),'12 Harley CVO 2212cc
507 has the same lag when you slam on the gas at low speeds, same tests as E63S. To be clear, I can't repro the stumbling in either vehicle. Cars are either lagging or taking off like bats from hell.
Your cup is half full, mine is lagging all the time !
Old 04-19-2015, 09:19 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2008 Saab 93 TurboX SC (BSR stage 1)/2014 E63 S Wagon (Rebellion Tuned/Renntech Sport Mufflers)
I was able to reproduce the lag with above technique (almost coming to a stop then stepping on it...) it works 100% of the time. Knowing that it's a "normal" behavior built in the transmission makes it A BIT more acceptable. A software update would be welcome...

On another subject the car stalled on me again last thursday in stop-go traffic but this time I noticed a bit more what happened. I think the "ECO mode" is responsible for this issue and not the transmission: was coming back from work, stop and go traffic, comfort mode/eco on, distronic on. Slowed down to a stop, engine stopped but car ahead started to move at the same time so engine started about a second after shutting down and stalled... I tried to reproduce it (stepping on gas a second after car stops) and it never reoccured. Seems like a random problem... Anyone experienced this?
Old 04-20-2015, 04:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by kart125
I was able to reproduce the lag with above technique (almost coming to a stop then stepping on it...) it works 100% of the time. Knowing that it's a "normal" behavior built in the transmission makes it A BIT more acceptable. A software update would be welcome...

On another subject the car stalled on me again last thursday in stop-go traffic but this time I noticed a bit more what happened. I think the "ECO mode" is responsible for this issue and not the transmission: was coming back from work, stop and go traffic, comfort mode/eco on, distronic on. Slowed down to a stop, engine stopped but car ahead started to move at the same time so engine started about a second after shutting down and stalled... I tried to reproduce it (stepping on gas a second after car stops) and it never reoccured. Seems like a random problem... Anyone experienced this?
What do mean "stalled" when your engine woke up out of Eco "off engine" mode?

1) pressed the accelerator pedal and no matter how much you push it nothing happens? Until you let go completely of the pedal and re apply pressure

2) engine died

3) pushed accel pedal and took a second before it responded to any input
Old 04-20-2015, 04:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

By "stumbling" I mean it's jerky into first gear almost like a bad stick shift driver who engages the clutch a bit too fast into first gear when accelerating from a stop
Old 04-20-2015, 06:44 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2008 Saab 93 TurboX SC (BSR stage 1)/2014 E63 S Wagon (Rebellion Tuned/Renntech Sport Mufflers)
What do mean "stalled" when your engine woke up out of Eco "off engine" mode?

1) pressed the accelerator pedal and no matter how much you push it nothing happens? Until you let go completely of the pedal and re apply pressure

2) engine died

3) pushed accel pedal and took a second before it responded to any input

option 2... engine died. Had to restart with start-stop button.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Holy sh--

Nope... That is not right and has never happened to me
Old 04-20-2015, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Totally different car with the old 5 speed slush box, but my C32 heavily modded really woke up with the old non-programmable Sprint Booster. Did it make it faster? No, not at all. But, it felt faster and the throttle response was much better and lag was gone. This is the old non- programmable.

Put the new programmable SB on the C55 Kleemann which also suffered lag and same result: lag gone and car feels faster/ Quicker ( even if it's actually not) I don't have to press hard to get her moving like I used to. Install time, less than 5 minutes if you've done it before. Worth the money if just for throttle feel alone.

I can't speak for the MCT Trans cars, but the SB worked in my old 5 speed boxes.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:02 PM

By "stumbling" I mean it's jerky into first gear almost like a bad stick shift driver who engages the clutch a bit too fast into first gear when accelerating from a stop
Ok, I understand. No neck injuries over here
Old 06-18-2015, 04:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 CLS63 AMG S, black
Coming from an owner of a 2015 cls63 s, I also have significant throttle lag. I've been scouring the forums to find a solution that doesn't involve a sprint booster. I had lag on my previous e350 which was actually significantly reduced with a sprint booster. But never did I imagine my AMG would have this. It seems like it's just a Mercedes/BMW thing. ****, even my old 1999 Honda CR-V had a better 0-20 time than my Merc.

But if ones things certain, the sprint booster really made the e350 a more fun car to drive so I think I might just pick one up.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:27 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Porsche 991 GT3, 2012 cls63 Kleemann K3
Originally Posted by Geiss
Coming from an owner of a 2015 cls63 s, I also have significant throttle lag.
wow. it still exists on even the new model??

i thought they would have tuned that out like with the paddle shift time and transmission response.!

i guess thats another reason not to get the new one.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 CLS63 AMG S, black
I certainly don't want to disparage this particular car, I still love my merc. Honestly after I wrote that and drove my car *thinking* I had throttle lag, I realized what it really is, is low early torque. Admittedly the throttle response is immediate it's just the torque below 2000rpm isn't enough to match my ego. So I don't know if a sprint booster would help as much as a tune would. When I tune my car I'll update.

I like jack rabbit starts, and merc has ensured we don't get that for the sake of fuel consumption I'm sure.

Last edited by Geiss; 06-19-2015 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Wrong word
Old 06-19-2015, 01:53 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Geiss
I certainly don't want to disparage this particular car, I still love my merc. Honestly after I wrote that and drove my car *thinking* I had throttle lag, I realized what it really is, is low early torque. Admittedly the throttle response is immediate it's just the torque below 2000rpm isn't enough to match my ego. So I don't know if a sprint booster would help as much as a tune would. When I tune my car I'll update.

I like jack rabbit starts, and merc has ensured we don't get that for the sake of fuel consumption I'm sure.
A tune will help much more, hands down

Last edited by PeterUbers; 06-19-2015 at 01:56 AM.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'10 F150 FX4 SCrew. '14 S212S
happens to my wife all the time. It's dangerous.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by benyl
happens to my wife all the time. It's dangerous.
Thank god this has never happened to me.. It would be grounds for me to get rid of it
Old 06-22-2015, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E63 AMG
My feedback on the Sprintbooster is that I love it and made my 2010 E63 fun to drive. I've always been annoyed by the throttle response in this car. In fact I was almost about to keep my four cylinder turbo and trade this car in when it came to get an SUV a few weeks back. I installed my Sprintbooster about two months or so ago when the temps in Texas were still in the mid 80s and I had it switched to GREEN throttle response. Both my wife and I could feel a significant difference even in C mode. Recently - with temps in mid 90s and humidity galore I've started to become annoyed by the throttle response again. I had to check to make sure the Sprintbooster was working again. So I decided to set it ot RED and OMG - the car just goes now - It's especially fun in C mode since it uses 2nd gear for slow speed cornering or driving. So less jerk than S or S+ and the throttle just responds to the smallest depressing. At least that's how it feels to me. And it made my exhaust sound louder. Trying to understand why the latter effect.

And as a final statement for this post. Before switching it to RED I was almost forced to drive the car in Manual. It does provide the most control over where you are in the powerband but I'm still a clutch guy and find it weird to drive all the time with paddles. that's why I prefer to keep it in C/S/S+ and when needed use the paddle shifters to drop few gears.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
Originally Posted by a4_turbo
My feedback on the Sprintbooster is that I love it and made my 2010 E63 fun to drive. I've always been annoyed by the throttle response in this car. In fact I was almost about to keep my four cylinder turbo and trade this car in when it came to get an SUV a few weeks back. I installed my Sprintbooster about two months or so ago when the temps in Texas were still in the mid 80s and I had it switched to GREEN throttle response. Both my wife and I could feel a significant difference even in C mode. Recently - with temps in mid 90s and humidity galore I've started to become annoyed by the throttle response again. I had to check to make sure the Sprintbooster was working again. So I decided to set it ot RED and OMG - the car just goes now - It's especially fun in C mode since it uses 2nd gear for slow speed cornering or driving. So less jerk than S or S+ and the throttle just responds to the smallest depressing. At least that's how it feels to me. And it made my exhaust sound louder. Trying to understand why the latter effect.

And as a final statement for this post. Before switching it to RED I was almost forced to drive the car in Manual. It does provide the most control over where you are in the powerband but I'm still a clutch guy and find it weird to drive all the time with paddles. that's why I prefer to keep it in C/S/S+ and when needed use the paddle shifters to drop few gears.
Thanks for this post. I currently have a SB on backorder. Should be getting it any day. I have a 2011 with the throttle lag issue. I find it quite annoying. My 2000 E55 did not have this AT ALL.

Its almost dangerous at times, as it lags so you step on it a bit harder and then all of sudded it lunges out of its shoes unexpectadly. In certain aggresive driving situations this is a problem. That is why I am hoping this SB solves the issue.

So I hope I am as satisfied as you are.

Thanks again.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Vrodman
Thanks for this post. I currently have a SB on backorder. Should be getting it any day. I have a 2011 with the throttle lag issue. I find it quite annoying. My 2000 E55 did not have this AT ALL.

Its almost dangerous at times, as it lags so you step on it a bit harder and then all of sudded it lunges out of its shoes unexpectadly. In certain aggresive driving situations this is a problem. That is why I am hoping this SB solves the issue.

So I hope I am as satisfied as you are.

Thanks again.
I've left my sprintbooster on green and haven't looked back... It did nothing for the lag but makes up for the lazy pedal feel once the lag is over... Vrod you'll see exactly what I'm talking about once you get it

Make sure you read the directions CAREFULLY to avoid a check engine light... Gotta leave the door open for five minutes before you start unplugging anything

Good luck
Old 09-19-2016, 11:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 SLK55, 2014 E63 Wagon
Hi Peter, came across this thread when searching for info on the Sprint Booster. I have one on my SLK, but am hesitating after reading through the experience with the MCT. Do you still have it installed?
Old 09-20-2016, 12:50 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by cadeca
Hi Peter, came across this thread when searching for info on the Sprint Booster. I have one on my SLK, but am hesitating after reading through the experience with the MCT. Do you still have it installed?
hi I still have it installed and always keep it on green; I have learned to love it and cannot drive without it on green

Old 09-20-2016, 08:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 CLS63 AMG S
I experienced heavy jerking in S+ with SprintBooster even on green, under light/partial throttle. The car would jerk, shudder and cut the power completely. I wouldn't recommend it for the AMG vehicles. This was for P/N# SBME0012S on M157 5.5L biturbo engine.

Last edited by quandary; 09-20-2016 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:52 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...ox-review.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My sprintbooster review; MCT E63S