Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 137 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
Annoying "clank" sound 2011 E63

Hey guys,

This is weird one.

Since I bought the car 2 weeks ago I have had a very strange and annoying loud "clank" or smacking sound when I turn either right or left into a driveway. Clearly sounds like it it coming from the back seat. I had assumed it was the metal portion of the seat belt latch that was smacking the inside of the rear door.

So yesterday I tied soft towels around them and today I still have the problem. Ugh

Imagine you have a nice size ring on your finger and then rap the inside of the rear door trim fairly hard. That is what it sounds like. Only when I turn into a driveway. Hmmmmmmm???

I did get in the backseat and checked door compartments and center arm cushion. Nothing there to explain this.

Anybody heard of this before?

Gonna tell the dealer on Wed about it but dont trust they will do sh*t about it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E63 N/A
Same sound

I have had the sound for a while now. Dealer took apart the rear deck and could not locate it. Sounds like metal flex and pop. Dealer, mech both heard it. No luck yet.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JATRAUTS
I have had the sound for a while now. Dealer took apart the rear deck and could not locate it. Sounds like metal flex and pop. Dealer, mech both heard it. No luck yet.
I heard it a bit more clearly today and now I have a theory:

Do you by any chance have a pano roof?

I do. And the buckling "clank" sound sounds like it could be coming from twisting of the roof. I'm guessing the pano roof weakens the strength of the roof from twisting. When I hit a driveway in a turn with one wheel at a time, the car's entire body is torqed. The roof is a significant player in providing rigidity against this twisting.

I could draw up a free body diagram if you like, but I think this explanation should make sense. BTW I am a staff mechanical engineer so I surely know enough on these type of issues to be dangerous! Lol

If I am correct, MB has a serious issue on their hands! I wonder if they already know about this. Hmmmmmmm
Old 04-28-2015, 10:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 AMG E63
Originally Posted by Vrodman
I heard it a bit more clearly today and now I have a theory:

Do you by any chance have a pano roof?

I do. And the buckling "clank" sound sounds like it could be coming from twisting of the roof. I'm guessing the pano roof weakens the strength of the roof from twisting. When I hit a driveway in a turn with one wheel at a time, the car's entire body is torqed. The roof is a significant player in providing rigidity against this twisting.

I could draw up a free body diagram if you like, but I think this explanation should make sense. BTW I am a staff mechanical engineer so I surely know enough on these type of issues to be dangerous! Lol

If I am correct, MB has a serious issue on their hands! I wonder if they already know about this. Hmmmmmmm
I have the pano and dont have that sound. I think though there was some thing about how to fix the pano roof with a couple of screws or something.

EDIT: I also kinda of wish I didn't have the pano roof, I thought I would be missing out without it, but its not like both of them open, its just a regular sun roof. The kids enjoy it when I open the sunshade while they sit in the back though.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by robl45
I have the pano and dont have that sound. I think though there was some thing about how to fix the pano roof with a couple of screws or something.

EDIT: I also kinda of wish I didn't have the pano roof, I thought I would be missing out without it, but its not like both of them open, its just a regular sun roof. The kids enjoy it when I open the sunshade while they sit in the back though.
Thanks Man. Hope you're right and it's as easy as a couple of screws.

Dealer tomorrow morning and they will likely have it until Thursday or Friday. I will update everything after.

Thanks to all for their time to input.

Cheers!
Old 04-29-2015, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Both of mine open.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just kidding!
Old 04-29-2015, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

UPDATE

Took the car into the dealer this morning and was pleasantly surprised to hear that they do indeed know about this issue and my theory was correct that it is the pano roof.

They actually had me drive it with a foreman mechanic to a driveway about a block away from the dealership that they call their test driveway. He said if you have a pano issue we will hear it on this driveway.

Bang! Sure enough I drove up it turning right and it popped quite nicely. So now I know they will get it fixed. He said basically the headliner needs to come down and then have all the bolts on the perimeter of the pano re-torqued.

Afterward they test it out by using the same driveway.

Only fear here now, is that something different will rattle after they put the headliner back up?? Ugh Hope not.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63
Thanks
That might be the first time I have seen a real solution to the pano creaks. Everything else i have heard was the lube the tracks or live with it.
Please update again after its serviced.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E63 AMG
I just bought a 2011 E63 AMG and immediately noticed the same thing. I get a loud, sharp cracking noise over bumps. I can't localize it exactly, but it seems to be in the area of the pano roof. I get it even when the sunroof is fully open, so I'm guessing it must be the rear glass section.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jakee63
I just bought a 2011 E63 AMG and immediately noticed the same thing. I get a loud, sharp cracking noise over bumps. I can't localize it exactly, but it seems to be in the area of the pano roof. I get it even when the sunroof is fully open, so I'm guessing it must be the rear glass section.
It very likely is the rear stationary section. Mine is. And the dealer said it often is.

Took me a bit to determine what it was too. Finally I realized it sounded like it was right behind and ABOVE my head. Then of course dealer confirmed it. Getting the machine back in a day or two. They took down headliner to retorque rear section bolts. I expect that noise to be gone!

Then just hoping I dont have a new one from them not getting headliner back in correctly.
Is your car still under factory warranty? If not, you may have trouble with extended warranty as I dont think they cover "rattles and creaks".

Good Luck.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 E63 AMG
I like my "regular" roof soooo much, post after post.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

UPDATE:

So I am still waiting to get my car back. Looks like Thursday.

I did get a small clue today though that I will try and find out more about when I pick up the car.

My service adviser said the tech working on this issue had to order some bracket that is going to be at the dealer by tomorrow.

So the bracket is either because the original one had a design flaw and failed, or it is an additional bracket that they are using to correct the problem. And, of course, they only correct the problem for those who complain about it, and are under warranty!
Old 05-05-2015, 06:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Pano is overrated
Old 05-05-2015, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Pano is overrated
Yeah, I agree for the most part. It wasnt like I went looking for the perfect e63 that had to have a pano. Kinda thought it was more or less a bonus like the illuminated AMG door sills were.

The kids think it is cool in the back seat. Dad hates the "Clank" !!!
Old 05-07-2015, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

UPDATE:

Well.

Good news to report.

CLANK IS GONE!

At least so far it is. Hopefully it never comes back.

Retorqued the pano stationary section perimeter bolts and then replaced headliner with no new rattles and all is quiet!
Old 05-08-2015, 07:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by Vrodman
Well.

Good news to report.

CLANK IS GONE!

At least so far it is. Hopefully it never comes back.

Retorqued the pano stationary section perimeter bolts and then replaced headliner with no new rattles and all is quiet!
Sweet!