Sponsored by:

E63 Wagon -- finally ordered

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 E63 wagon

After endless back and forths between ordering a Range Rover sport (which I put a deposit on) and an e63 wagon, I finally took the plunge and ordered the wagon! Not sure if I'll get the deposit back on the Range Rover, but oh well.

As for the specs:
Selenite grey
Black interior w contrast stitching
Night styling package
Titanium wheels
Carbon fiber interior trim
Driver assistance package
AMG surround camera (it's still configurable per my dealer)

I'm on the fence with the b and o. 5400 seems like a lot. It looks pretty cool though. I need to listen to it. For those who have this on the wagon, does it reduce the trunk space? My dealer says it does, but I thought this was the case only on the sedan. Also, does it come with a collapsible spare when configured with the b and o. Can't remember if I saw that on here or at the New York auto show -- or maybe I'm imagining things!

Also thinking about the black wheels -- just worried that it may look too "murdered" out like that. More of a sleeper with the titaniums.

Dealer claiming August production, September delivery. Can't wait!!
Old 05-30-2015, 06:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2008 Saab 93 TurboX SC (BSR stage 1)/2014 E63 S Wagon (Rebellion Tuned/Renntech Sport Mufflers)
Nice choice (over the RR) and nice build! Selenite grey is new on the E I think for 2016 (replacing Palladium which I have). cant wait to see pics!

I have the B&O and it does not interfere with trunk space at all. It came with a collapsible spare tire.

Is the upgraded sound system worth it? Debatable... I had the HK in my C63 and I was not impressed. I did not compare the 2 systems "side by side" in an E class but listened to the B&O in an S class before making my decision. In my opinion it's not worth the price they are asking for the upgrade, but the sound is better. Compared to the 1k asked by Audi for the same upgrade, the MB price tag is quite expensive. It's like MB is considering that the base system is worth nothing. Same thing with the insane price for the CCB upgrade (13k in Canada). My friend has an RS5 with CCB and it was a 5k upgrade... Hey I got both upgrades on my car so call me crazy!!

When I ordered the car with night package I did not have the choice of wheels (black standard). If I were you I would try to get the forged wheels.

Last edited by kart125; 05-30-2015 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by kart125
Nice choice (over the RR) and nice build! Selenite grey is new on the E I think for 2016 (replacing Palladium which I have). cant wait to see pics!

I have the B&O and it does not interfere with trunk space at all. It came with a collapsible spare tire.

Is the upgraded sound system worth it? Debatable... I had the HK in my C63 and I was not impressed. I did not compare the 2 systems "side by side" in an E class but listened to the B&O in an S class before making my decision. In my opinion it's not worth the price they are asking for the upgrade, but the sound is better. Compared to the 1k asked by Audi for the same upgrade, the MB price tag is quite expensive. It's like MB is considering that the base system is worth nothing. Same thing with the insane price for the CCB upgrade (13k in Canada). My friend has an RS5 with CCB and it was a 5k upgrade... Hey I got both upgrades on my car so call me crazy!!

When I ordered the car with night package I did not have the choice of wheels (black standard). If I were you I would try to get the forged wheels.
There's a few things to consider here on our E-Class options in comparison with the RS5. First of all, the RS5 CCB is only on the front axle, the rear are still iron rotors, hence the lower price. The B&O audio on the RS5 is not the same caliber of system that we get offered on the E63, also hence why it's a lower price.

To the OP:
B&O on the wagon DOES NOT reduce trunk space. You also HAVE a collapsible spare tire. Whether or not it's worth it is your call, but IMO they sure do look cool.

I would totally get the black wheels if you are ordering Night Package. I've seen too many E63s in person that have the Night Package but Titanium wheels and IMO it looks silly. Either stick to black everything or don't get Night Styling. (What kart125 is referencing is that in Canada, Night Styling also comes with the Black wheels (and you cannot choose to upgrade to Forged) but here in the US we choose our wheels irregardless of packages.)
Old 05-30-2015, 11:06 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 Mercedes-AMG E63 S Sedan
Congrats on the order and there will be plenty of time to make changes before the cut off date which is @ 13 days to production.

I think the night styling package and black wheels is a great combo on the Selenite. I would also forgo the night styling if going with the stock color or the forged.

Good luck with the long wait, but it will be worth it!
Old 05-31-2015, 08:46 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2008 Saab 93 TurboX SC (BSR stage 1)/2014 E63 S Wagon (Rebellion Tuned/Renntech Sport Mufflers)
The ideal choice of wheels with night package would be the forged ones in a blacked out scheme... Then you could get looks and lower unsprung weight...
Old 06-01-2015, 09:43 AM

2016 E63 wagon
Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
There's a few things to consider here on our E-Class options in comparison with the RS5. First of all, the RS5 CCB is only on the front axle, the rear are still iron rotors, hence the lower price. The B&O audio on the RS5 is not the same caliber of system that we get offered on the E63, also hence why it's a lower price.

To the OP:
B&O on the wagon DOES NOT reduce trunk space. You also HAVE a collapsible spare tire. Whether or not it's worth it is your call, but IMO they sure do look cool.

I would totally get the black wheels if you are ordering Night Package. I've seen too many E63s in person that have the Night Package but Titanium wheels and IMO it looks silly. Either stick to black everything or don't get Night Styling. (What kart125 is referencing is that in Canada, Night Styling also comes with the Black wheels (and you cannot choose to upgrade to Forged) but here in the US we choose our wheels irregardless of packages.)

Thanks for the info re: the B and O. Going to the dealer this week to listen to the B and O in an S class that they have in stock. Not sure if the S class system is at all equivalent to the E, but worth a listen to give me at least one data point.

I agree with you about the black wheels -- I was originally planning on going this route, although I really like the look of KINGLEH's car on the european delivery thread that he posted a few days ago. Decisions, decisions...
Old 08-04-2015, 05:18 PM

2016 E63 wagon
Just heard from my dealer, that my car is built and waiting to be shipped (was supposed to be built end of August, so pretty surprised by this). Any idea how frequently boats leave for Baltimore???
Old 08-06-2015, 05:36 PM

2016 e63 wagon
Originally Posted by lja1575
Just heard from my dealer, that my car is built and waiting to be shipped (was supposed to be built end of August, so pretty surprised by this). Any idea how frequently boats leave for Baltimore???
Mine came very quickly too. From time the build was complete to arrival at dealer was just about 3 weeks
Old 08-09-2015, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by mb_nyc
Mine came very quickly too. From time the build was complete to arrival at dealer was just about 3 weeks
+1
Old 08-09-2015, 02:29 PM

2016 E63 wagon
Just received word that it should be in Baltimore by 8/23, then I'm guessing here in New York 4-5 days after that. Unfortunately I'll be away then. Strangely enough I've seen 2 wagons in my neighborhood in Manhattan over the past week. One white and one black. Makes the wait that much harder!
Old 08-09-2015, 02:41 PM

2016 e63 wagon
Watch out for a grey one now too

And yes it should be a quick turnaround once it gets to Baltimore

Did you use MB Manhattan or another dealer ?

Just received word that it should be in Baltimore by 8/23, then I'm guessing here in New York 4-5 days after that. Unfortunately I'll be away then. Strangely enough I've seen 2 wagons in my neighborhood in Manhattan over the past week. One white and one black. Makes the wait that much harder!
Old 08-09-2015, 03:06 PM

2016 E63 wagon
I'll keep an eye out! I used benzel-busch over in englewood. I've never had a good experience buying a car in the city, so I didn't even check with the Manhattan dealer. Did you use them? Have you decided on winter wheels/tires yet?

Watch out for a grey one now too

And yes it should be a quick turnaround once it gets to Baltimore

Did you use MB Manhattan or another dealer ?
Old 08-09-2015, 03:25 PM

Congrats again! I had a much longer wait. 3/17 order and 8/4 delivery.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:01 PM

2016 e63 wagon
I'll keep an eye out! I used benzel-busch over in englewood. I've never had a good experience buying a car in the city, so I didn't even check with the Manhattan dealer. Did you use them? Have you decided on winter wheels/tires yet?
I ended up at MB Massapequa. I visited Benzel-busch for a test drive, liked the dealership and it is super convenient to city but it worked out better in Massapequa.

I haven't decided on the winter tires yet, but the dealership recommended Pirelli 240 Sottozero II. Was planning on researching the forum a bit before ordering.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:59 AM

I haven't decided on the winter tires yet, but the dealership recommended Pirelli 240 Sottozero II. Was planning on researching the forum a bit before ordering.
Here's the best thread (long) for Winter tires on the E63W4:

https://mbworld.org/forums/w212-amg/...revisited.html

To cut to the chase, the Pirelli Sottozero II are an excellent choice. They are available in staggered sizes that are OEM, if desired, or a square set up. Sdg on the forum has run them in the NYC area on a tuned E63S with excellent results.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:55 PM

2016 e63 wagon
Originally Posted by KarlG

To cut to the chase, the Pirelli Sottozero II are an excellent choice. They are available in staggered sizes that are OEM, if desired, or a square set up. Sdg on the forum has run them in the NYC area on a tuned E63S with excellent results.
Karl +1. That's what i'm going to do
Old 08-10-2015, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
2019 E63 S

Yes I ran the Sottozeros in OEM staggered sizes all last winter in NYC. I drove frequently in snow and mixed precipitation.

They are good snow tires but to be clear, like the Michelin Pilot Alpin 4s, they are more oriented towards performance winter which means good dry driving in cold weather rather than the most absolute grip in snow and ice.

In the snow but they are certainly no Michelin X ice or other super grippy snow tire which is horrible in the dry. They work perfectly well for New York City roads in winter.

Were I living up in Vermont or Minnesota I would opt for a real snow and ice tire like the Michelin X Ice or Nokians.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by sdg1871

Were I living up in Vermont or Minnesota I would opt for a real snow and ice tire like the Michelin X Ice or Nokians.
Agreed, I live where an average year has over 9 ft snowfall and a really bad year close to 16 ft. It actually is the most snowiest city over 50000 in the US. My driveway is actually a small private road that climbs a steep hill.

I went with Nokian Hakka 8 studded.

Should be a snow beast. We'll see.

Last edited by KarlG; 08-10-2015 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E63 S

Agreed, I live where an average year has over 9 ft snowfall and a really bad year close to 16 ft. It actually is the most snowiest city over 50000 in the US. My driveway is really a small road that climbs a steep hill.

I went with Nokian Hakka 8 studded.

Should be a snow beast. We'll see.
You will need those kind of snow and ice tires. There is one limitation you should be aware of and that is that 67% of the torque on this torque monster of a car goes to the rear wheels. This means that the rear end can be a little tail happy if you apply power in the snow. You just have to watch it. It is definitely not as good as snow car as a car with torque vectoring like my Porsche 911 Turbo S which is simply a mountain goat so long as the snow is less than 6 inches deep because at that point ground clearance comes into play. But so long as you're careful with your application of the throttle you should be just fine with the Nokians
Old 08-10-2015, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by sdg1871
You will need those kind of snow and ice tires. There is one limitation you should be aware of and that is that 67% of the torque on this torque monster of a car goes to the rear wheels. This means that the rear end can be a little tail happy if you apply power in the snow. You just have to watch it. It is definitely not as good as snow car as a car with torque vectoring like my Porsche 911 Turbo S which is simply a mountain goat so long as the snow is less than 6 inches deep because at that point ground clearance comes into play. But so long as you're careful with your application of the throttle you should be just fine with the Nokians
Apreciate it and that was what I was expecting. You really need a light foot with high torque and HP vehicles in the snow and ice.

I drove a 996TT and a 997TT for years through it. They lacked the torque vectoring. They actually were great. Somedays, for a hoot, I'd turn the PSM off and drive up the hill. The rear engine weight over the back wheels helped. Ground clearance was 3.9 in as I recalled. Some days when the snow was higher than 6 inches in the drive, the P cars would just go up anyway throwing snow around themselves and plowing a path.

996 in Polar Silver from back in the day.
Attached Thumbnails E63 Wagon -- finally ordered-picture-033.jpg  
Old 08-10-2015, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E63 S

Apreciate it and that was what I was expecting. You really need a light foot with high torque and HP vehicles in the snow and ice.

I drove a 996TT and a 997TT for years through it. They lacked the torque vectoring. They actually were great. Somedays, for a hoot, I'd turn the PSM off and drive up the hill. The rear engine weight over the back wheels helped. Ground clearance was 3.9 in as I recalled. Some days when the snow was higher than 6 inches in the drive, the P cars would just go up anyway throwing snow around themselves and plowing a path.

996 in Polar Silver from back in the day.
991 Turbo and Turbo S ground clearance is 6 inches and approach angle is over 13 degrees. Porsche really made this one into a viable daily driver.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG
deleted.

Last edited by jmg1848; 08-24-2020 at 02:34 PM. Reason: ....
Old 08-11-2015, 08:12 PM

2016 E63 wagon

Thanks. I would definitely get the Pirelli staggered setup were I to drive exclusively in the nyc area. Problem is I go to Vermont almost every weekend in the winter. Hakka 8's may be overkill for me (not sure about studded tires in NYC), but maybe a square setup with the Pirellis or a non studded nokian. What are you guys doing for winter wheels? Buying Mercedes oem, or something else?
Old 08-11-2015, 09:03 PM

Thanks. I would definitely get the Pirelli staggered setup were I to drive exclusively in the nyc area. Problem is I go to Vermont almost every weekend in the winter. Hakka 8's may be overkill for me (not sure about studded tires in NYC), but maybe a square setup with the Pirellis or a non studded nokian. What are you guys doing for winter wheels? Buying Mercedes oem, or something else?
The Hakka 8s are available studded or not. They are pretty aggressive and I expect a fair amount of noise. The ride does not concern me as much as winter capability does.

The Series 2 Pirellis are suposed to be better than the series 1 but might be a bit light duty for Vermont and especially if you are heading to ski places. More a performance oriented cold weather tire. I'd be suprised if they were not the quietest and best handling on cold, wet roads with light snow.

Nokian also makes another very capable studless snow tire The Hakka R2 ,which is excellent and might be worth looking at in a square set up.

Bridgestone Blizzaks are also a very decent snow tire that comes in a square setup. I have not run them on the E63 but they have been very capable on other vehicles I have run.

I think both the Hakka R2 and the Blizzak would handle Vermont weekends fairly well although much of the drive there will be on pretty well maintained, plowed and treated roads until you get near your destination, and the Pirelli's would handle the city and most of the trip just fine.

Since I am anticipating in keeping the car for 2-3 years, I just plan on swapping the tires rather than a new set of rims/sensors.

Last edited by KarlG; 08-11-2015 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:48 PM

2016 e63 wagon

Since I am anticipating in keeping the car for 2-3 years, I just plan on swapping the tires rather than a new set of rims/sensors.
would love to hear from others who have experience running winter tires on their stock wheels vs swapping out an entire set. is it better or worse for the wheels or tires in any way?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E63 Wagon -- finally ordered