W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First post, just joined the club!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 10:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 e63, 2012 Callaway Yukon XL Denali, 1971 BMW 2002, 1968 280se, 1961 T-Bird Convertible
First post, just joined the club!

Hey guys,

I'm PUMPED, because I just picked up a 2014 e63 (white) with 8,400 miles on it last night. What a sweet, sweet ride. This will likely be a three season vehicle and I'll moth ball her during the winter months. I had been waiting for a while to pull the trigger and the last couple of months I was thinking of holding off until the new Caddy was released but then I knew in heart that I would likely be disappointed with the fit and finish of the caddy so the merc got the nod. This is my third benz and currently my second. We also own a 1968 280se which is essentially all original and in really, really great shape. The e63 is a totally different ball of wax.
I bought the car from a dealer and it is certified so to say that I was bummed out a little bit by the whistling noise coming from the windshield area being that it's a known problem. It makes matters worse that the dealer is two hours away from my house. Uggggg... I've searched and found this: LI88.20-P-058905 Apr14 – e63 wind noises area of bumper/engine hood between 45-80 mph, gap between trim and bumper greater than specified dimension remove front bumper and glue chrome frame to ensure stability.
I haven't been able to find the exact fix, is it a matter of using double sided tape to stick the trim to the grill a little better? Amazing that I can hear that all the way in the cabin. Has anyone had experience with this? Has anyone had any luck fixing it themselves? I have some 3M helicopter tape (clear removable tape that is intended to protect the leading edge of a helicpoter blade) and am considering putting a this piece between this joint across the entire grill just to make sure that this is the problem.
Any thoughts, insight or encouragement is welcomed. I'll get it sorted out, kind of a bummer but I'm still excited to have this car in my stable.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'12 E63 AMG, '04 E46 M3
Congratulations on the new car and cool stable of other vehicles you got there!
Old 10-23-2015, 11:30 AM

2014 e63, 2012 Callaway Yukon XL Denali, 1971 BMW 2002, 1968 280se, 1961 T-Bird Convertible
Thanks! My wife was asking me how I like the car last night and I was going on and on about how sweet it is. Then she asked me to compare it to the 2002, lol. It's hard to compare, apples to oranges really but I do have to give it to the 2002 for still having that crazy connection between car, driver and road. Of course the e63 would brutally spank it in any arena but there is something about pushing an old car to 95% with no power anything and it is such a well balanced little thing.

On a different note, I take it you have no experience with the e63 whistle?
Old 10-23-2015, 11:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,037 Likes on 1,420 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Congrats and welcome

I have a very subtle whistling but not annoying enough for me to justify the dealer taking the bumper cover off the car and potentially creating new issue

That being said, I would recommend you take it to the dealer and arrange a loaner and just let them take care of it so you don't put any part of your warranty in question
Old 10-23-2015, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Congrats and welcome

I have a very subtle whistling but not annoying enough for me to justify the dealer taking the bumper cover off the car and potentially creating new issue

That being said, I would recommend you take it to the dealer and arrange a loaner and just let them take care of it so you don't put any part of your warranty in question
Hey Peter, thanks for the email, that's sound advice which I'm going to follow. It takes about 2-3 hours for them to do this. The dealer is telling me to bring it by, they'll give me an hour so I can do some things (in Chicago btw) and then get me on my way shortly afterwards. It shouldn't be too painful but a little bit of a downer. It still can't overcome the excitement of my "new" ride.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:47 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 AMG S65, AMG GL63, 2012 AMG E63 With AMS Alpha 9 Package, Renntech 200 Catted Downpipes.
Congrats and welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll find this forum very helpful more ways than one.

I remember reading someone on this forum that someone had about the whistle coming from the front grille (?), just don't know if it was a preface or facelift model. Maybe you can try doing a search and perhaps it'll show how it was fix, but taking it to the dealer is your best bet.

Good luck.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Davidkuo0330
Congrats and welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll find this forum very helpful more ways than one.

I remember reading someone on this forum that someone had about the whistle coming from the front grille (?), just don't know if it was a preface or facelift model. Maybe you can try doing a search and perhaps it'll show how it was fix, but taking it to the dealer is your best bet.

Good luck.
Thanks for the welcome! I found the other posts regarding the noise and found the service announcement and everything. I had to sate my curiosity so I ran home, put the helicopter tape on the joint and the noise went away. I'll leave that bandaid on until I get to the dealer.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:18 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by ringkingpin
Thanks for the welcome! I found the other posts regarding the noise and found the service announcement and everything. I had to sate my curiosity so I ran home, put the helicopter tape on the joint and the noise went away. I'll leave that bandaid on until I get to the dealer.
Curious... Where exactly did you apply the tape to get the sound to go away?

The e63s is an amazing car
Old 10-23-2015, 05:22 PM

Curious... Where exactly did you apply the tape to get the sound to go away?

The e63s is an amazing car
I found this pic on this site and placed a strip around 1/2" wide going across the entire joint / seam on the top where these pieces of tape are. Peter, you could likely sate your curiosity by trying this with some simple scotch tape. I have very sensitive hearing I guess (and I've tested) but I think anyone would hear it in my car and it was annoying me, badly. OCD

Old 10-23-2015, 05:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

I found this pic on this site and placed a strip around 1/2" wide going across the entire joint / seam on the top where these pieces of tape are. Peter, you could likely sate your curiosity by trying this with some simple scotch tape. I have very sensitive hearing I guess (and I've tested) but I think anyone would hear it in my car and it was annoying me, badly. OCD

Very interesting... the interface between the brushed aluminum and the white in that picture?

Good info thanks!
Old 10-23-2015, 05:34 PM

Yes, it's the seam or joint right between the top of the silver or grey trim and the bottom of the paint. In this pic, I imagine they used a glue or thin double sided tape, applied it between the two surfaces (after taking it apart) and then these strips are holding it tight in place while it cures. The gap is very small, like 1/64" but, surprisingly, that is it. I feel sorry for Franz or whoever had to go chase that one down, man, I would have been going crazy. I bet they had to resort to wind tunnel testing or tie a man to the hood to find it! Try a piece of tape and please report back. I think it's acting like a giant whistle or reed instrument.
Peter, I'm curious, who is your dealer? I picked mine up in Barrington, at MotorWerks yesterday but am from NW Indiana.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Yes, it's the seam or joint right between the top of the silver or grey trim and the bottom of the paint. In this pic, I imagine they used a glue or thin double sided tape, applied it between the two surfaces (after taking it apart) and then these strips are holding it tight in place while it cures. The gap is very small, like 1/64" but, surprisingly, that is it. I feel sorry for Franz or whoever had to go chase that one down, man, I would have been going crazy. I bet they had to resort to wind tunnel testing or tie a man to the hood to find it! Try a piece of tape and please report back. I think it's acting like a giant whistle or reed instrument.
Peter, I'm curious, who is your dealer? I picked mine up in Barrington, at MotorWerks yesterday but am from NW Indiana.
Naperville Benz, I like motorwerks and they have a decent reputation, you'll be well taken care of.

Will try the tape tomorrow in fact I have some masking tape

Whatever the fix it has to endure weather and the ridiculous amount of heat this engine generates!! Another reason to let the dealer do it right!? Glad to have you on board
Old 10-23-2015, 07:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

I had an "aha!" Moment when I just checked my grill out

I used to use a paste wax and most of this gap was full of the paste wax... That would explain the limited noise I've been hearing compared to others' description
Old 10-23-2015, 07:33 PM

I had an "aha!" Moment when I just checked my grill out

I used to use a paste wax and most of this gap was full of the paste wax... That would explain the limited noise I've been hearing compared to others' description
Maybe I should pull out some carnuba wax and have at it!

On a different note, I just started using Griot's line of polishes and waxes, i forget the names of them but the are water soluble so no more white stuff or wax filled crevices.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

Maybe I should pull out some carnuba wax and have at it!

On a different note, I just started using Griot's line of polishes and waxes, i forget the names of them but the are water soluble so no more white stuff or wax filled crevices.
Good to know... Will try some of that next trip to Walmart for car supplies.. I've been into spray wax... Meguires after a wash and seems too easy for a shine that lasts... Doesn't beat paste wax though or the synthetic liquid wax
Old 10-24-2015, 11:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
current '17 C300 *sigh* ('19 E63S, '14 E63S, '08 535i)
ringkingpin, welcome to the forum and thanks for raising this issue.

I'm having the same issue and was just putting it down to something beyond my control.

Can now reach out to my dealer and have them fix it.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:51 PM

Thanks for the welcome AOSchadlin! Yeah, I wasn't going to tolerate that noise and was miffed when I first heard it, a couple miles out of the dealers drive! Grrrrrrrrrr...
OCD kicked in and had it figured out in a couple of hours thanks to the web. Like I said earlier, I feel sorry who was given the task of hunting it down in the first place, lol.
I have an old BMW 2002 and around 85mph, it makes a LOUD whistle in a similar location as the E, it sounds like it's coming from the windshield or the sunroof. Now I'm going to look at the grill and kidney and I bet you I figure something out. Imaging how many times, I drove the car at 90mph while my friend is standing out the sunroof screwing with window seals, antenna, sunroof, etc. or vise versa, he driving and me out the top, lol.
Peter, you need to come chill with me for a day in the spring. I'm on the S.E. tip of Lake Michigan, not far away. I'll show you how I do my paint care. I use a cyglo machine and will go through a variety of polishes for aggressive to silky smooth and also go through different textured or "grit" pads. I like to get it so the paint looks just like a mirror, not even a hint of the slightest scratch. Depending on how big the car is and how bad it is, it can vary time wise but it's very rewarding work, IMO.