W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REPORT CARD ON MY 2015 E63 S AMG SEDAN AFTER 1 YEAR AND 17K MILES!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 08:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
2019 E63 S
Thumbs up REPORT CARD ON MY 2015 E63 S AMG SEDAN AFTER 1 YEAR AND 17K MILES!!!!!!

It has now been about a year since I took delivery of my 2015 E63 S AMG sedan. 17k miles later I figured I would give a report card on how it is doing.

All in all I really like the car. It is a demon in a business suit. 5 can ride in complete luxury with their luggage. And yet, with just a Renntech tune and mufflers the car kills my friend's $500k Ferrari F12 from both a dig and a roll. It put at least 5 car lengths on a Hellcat in a roll race at Pocono and demolished a supercharged M3. At Atco she did a quarter mile in 11.1 second at 127.57 mph.

I am very satisfied with my Renntech full tune and sport mufflers. Super fast and great sound. And zero mechanical issues from the tune. Passed emissions inspection with flying colors and has never thrown a check engine light or drivetrain malfunction.

In the year I have had the car the drivetrain has been bulletproof. Engine and transmission have been great. Of course I despise that the MCT is jerky from a stop if you are in part throttle in sport or sport plug it pauses for like a whole second if you are rolling to a stop and just before you floor it but those are design issues rather than a manufacturing defect. I am sure the next generation tranny won't have such problems.

In terms of reliability, while the drivetrain has been solid, I would rate the rest of the car as unreliable. I have been to the dealer this year with a million little problems -- more than I have experienced on other cars (of course my 2012 BMW 550xi had none of these little problems but the drivetrain didn't work (constant drivetrain malfunctions and limp home mode resulting in weeks and weeks at the dealer for engine repairs -- far worse).

Here is my list of the repairs I have had to have make to my 2015 E63 S AMG in its first year (there might have been more but these are the ones I remember):

1. Shifter selection control module failure (car would not shift into park when I pressed the P button (module replaced) (done in a short visit)

2. Keyless entry system failed (required reflash) (done in a short visit)

3. Both front headlights cracked at the base (headlights replaced) (done in a short visit once headlights were in stock)

4. Rear console vent rattling hard (replaced) (overnight visit)

5. Pano roof squeaking heavily (headliner dropped and bolts all tightened) (overnight visit -- this requires a lot of labor)

6. Rubber seals around hood came loose, basically falling off (they were reattached) (done in a short visit)

7. Front grille whistled over about 50 mph (repaired -- requires overnight stay for glue to harden) (done in overnight visit)

The above is a lot (too many) repairs for a car in its first year. But I do love the car -- especially the engine.

I recently had to replace all 4 brake pads at 15k miles but given that the car is in stop and go commuter traffic every day that is expected wear and tear.

I would buy this car again. Best bang for your buck in terms of power in a sedan. But cannot imagine owning it outside of warranty.

Last edited by sdg1871; 01-10-2016 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:49 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
that is quite a list of needs in the first year, can't believe you needed pads already!!

the second year will be better
Old 01-10-2016, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E63 S
Originally Posted by hyperion667
that is quite a list of needs in the first year, can't believe you needed pads already!!

the second year will be better
90 mile round trip commute in stop and go traffic.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
nice writeup!

i thought the tuners were able to remove the 'lag' now
The following users liked this post:
Ed99 (02-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2016, 10:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG GT S & E63 S AMG
It is about a month from first my anniversary of trading in a 2012 550i xDrive for the E63, and so far I really like the car as well. The car has about 9000 miles on it and I am glad to report that I have not had as many issues. The only issue has been the squeaky pano roof that was fixed after a couple of short dealer visits. The car has been custom tuned by AMS with the upgraded heat exchanger and was dynoed to have 600 AWHP and 735 AWTQ. I recently had the valve body and TCU upgrade by Weistec and the jerkyness of the MCT has been greatly improved. The car is also running on a set of HRE forged wheels as well as light weight Girodisc rotors which has reduced the unsprung mass by about 20 lbs per corner. The car now feels much lighter of it feet, almost like it has lost a few hundred pounds of weight. The steering feels sharper and it corners like a car on rails.

Someone recently asked what my favorite car out of all that I have owned, and so far it has to be this E63. I have a GTS on order for delivery in April, and while that drives like a proper sports car, I have a feeling that the E63 will still be a better all round daily driver. Being a daily drive, I am still debating whether if I should get the AMS catted pipes and exhaust, and have it custom dyno tuned again. I will probably be interested in the new E63 in a few years for the upgraded interior, but would probably keep this car as well by modding the 5.5L V8TT to have bigger turbos. All in all, I really love this car and it puts a smile on my face every time a drive it. The low-end torque is simply intoxicating.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Nice write up man

Agreed, hopefully these teething issues are behind you and better ownership to come

While two or three of those issues certainly affect the day-to-day driving in the car (shifter, keyless, etc), the rest are issues that don't affect the drivability but would absolutely drive me insane!
Old 01-10-2016, 03:40 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 AMG S65, AMG GL63, 2012 AMG E63 With AMS Alpha 9 Package, Renntech 200 Catted Downpipes.
You will love your E63 more once you get the Alpha 9 upgrade and the TCU go hand in hand fun. There will be no stock sports car can even come close to you.

Originally Posted by joseyu
It is about a month from first my anniversary of trading in a 2012 550i xDrive for the E63, and so far I really like the car as well. The car has about 9000 miles on it and I am glad to report that I have not had as many issues. The only issue has been the squeaky pano roof that was fixed after a couple of short dealer visits. The car has been custom tuned by AMS with the upgraded heat exchanger and was dynoed to have 600 AWHP and 735 AWTQ. I recently had the valve body and TCU upgrade by Weistec and the jerkyness of the MCT has been greatly improved. The car is also running on a set of HRE forged wheels as well as light weight Girodisc rotors which has reduced the unsprung mass by about 20 lbs per corner. The car now feels much lighter of it feet, almost like it has lost a few hundred pounds of weight. The steering feels sharper and it corners like a car on rails.

Someone recently asked what my favorite car out of all that I have owned, and so far it has to be this E63. I have a GTS on order for delivery in April, and while that drives like a proper sports car, I have a feeling that the E63 will still be a better all round daily driver. Being a daily drive, I am still debating whether if I should get the AMS catted pipes and exhaust, and have it custom dyno tuned again. I will probably be interested in the new E63 in a few years for the upgraded interior, but would probably keep this car as well by modding the 5.5L V8TT to have bigger turbos. All in all, I really love this car and it puts a smile on my face every time a drive it. The low-end torque is simply intoxicating.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:45 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 AMG S65, AMG GL63, 2012 AMG E63 With AMS Alpha 9 Package, Renntech 200 Catted Downpipes.
That is allot of repaires for a 2015 model. The only repairs my 2012 E63 was the replacement of both headlights due to the V mark on the inside of the lens. Replace a fuse on the front cigarette lighter because it wasn't charging my IPhone. Of course the more than regular service at every 5,000 miles.

You should consider the TCU upgrade. It'll let you forget our car has the MTC tranny.

Originally Posted by sdg1871
It has now been about a year since I took delivery of my 2015 E63 S AMG sedan. 17k miles later I figured I would give a report card on how it is doing.

All in all I really like the car. It is a demon in a business suit. 5 can ride in complete luxury with their luggage. And yet, with just a Renntech tune and mufflers the car kills my friend's $500k Ferrari F12 from both a dig and a roll. It put at least 5 car lengths on a Hellcat in a roll race at Pocono and demolished a supercharged M3. At Atco she did a quarter mile in 11.1 second at 127.57 mph.

I am very satisfied with my Renntech full tune and sport mufflers. Super fast and great sound. And zero mechanical issues from the tune. Passed emissions inspection with flying colors and has never thrown a check engine light or drivetrain malfunction.

In the year I have had the car the drivetrain has been bulletproof. Engine and transmission have been great. Of course I despise that the MCT is jerky from a stop if you are in part throttle in sport or sport plug it pauses for like a whole second if you are rolling to a stop and just before you floor it but those are design issues rather than a manufacturing defect. I am sure the next generation tranny won't have such problems.

In terms of reliability, while the drivetrain has been solid, I would rate the rest of the car as unreliable. I have been to the dealer this year with a million little problems -- more than I have experienced on other cars (of course my 2012 BMW 550xi had none of these little problems but the drivetrain didn't work (constant drivetrain malfunctions and limp home mode resulting in weeks and weeks at the dealer for engine repairs -- far worse).

Here is my list of the repairs I have had to have make to my 2015 E63 S AMG in its first year (there might have been more but these are the ones I remember):

1. Shifter selection control module failure (car would not shift into park when I pressed the P button (module replaced) (done in a short visit)

2. Keyless entry system failed (required reflash) (done in a short visit)

3. Both front headlights cracked at the base (headlights replaced) (done in a short visit once headlights were in stock)

4. Rear console vent rattling hard (replaced) (overnight visit)

5. Pano roof squeaking heavily (headliner dropped and bolts all tightened) (overnight visit -- this requires a lot of labor)

6. Rubber seals around hood came loose, basically falling off (they were reattached) (done in a short visit)

7. Front grille whistled over about 50 mph (repaired -- requires overnight stay for glue to harden) (done in overnight visit)

The above is a lot (too many) repairs for a car in its first year. But I do love the car -- especially the engine.

I recently had to replace all 4 brake pads at 15k miles but given that the car is in stop and go commuter traffic every day that is expected wear and tear.

I would buy this car again. Best bang for your buck in terms of power in a sedan. But cannot imagine owning it outside of warranty.

Last edited by Davidkuo0330; 01-10-2016 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
'19 GLC 63S, '17 911 TTS Cabrio, '16 Viper TA2.0, '15 E63S (sold),'12 Harley CVO 2212cc
I've also had my E63S for over a year now, with 11.5K miles, but I dont have any issues to report, maybe I've been Lucky so far ?
I've taken the car to the track for 2 lapping days and did a few 1/4 mile runs 11.16 @ 127.2 on a Rebellion Tune and Renntech Sport mufflers. Carbon Ceramik brakes have fantastic stopping power, no squeak and do not show wear yet, Pano roof is fine too.
Best DD car I've had so far !
Old 01-10-2016, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E63 S
I still love the car. Just lots of little issues. None as serious as the non-functional engine in my 2012 550xi. This car has performed like a champ at multiple speed events with zero heat soak, demolishing F12s, Lambos, Hellcats, every single M3 -- supercharged, turbocharged and NA -- AMG GTS, etc. The only M5 that has beaten it had meth injection and catless DPs. It has even beat some tuned E63s with catless DPs even though mine has stock cats and DPs.

My 2014 Porsche 991 Turbo S, by contrast, has not had a single mechanical issue in 11k miles including running hard coast to coast in Goldrush Rally 7, tracking the car at Circuit of the Americas and a number of speed events (drag and roll races). That car is also tuned but also has catless exhaust and upgraded intercoolers.

I would definitely buy this car again but would not advise anyone to own it outside of warranty.

Last edited by sdg1871; 01-10-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 E63S
Just picked up my new 2016 E63S and love it. Coming from an M5, each car had its own characteristics and all in all - the engine, exhaust and awd, easily put a smile on my face everytime I hit the start button.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 162 Posts
Trek Bike
Report card after two years and 16k miles!!!

Stock E63S, really happy with the car, just the regular maintenance, unlike E60 M5 recalls and issues with SMG...

Auxilary battery replaced at no charge

Front tires will need replacement soon, rears still good.

Dealer fixed flat tire at no charge

Brakes still good and just passed B1 service...

The Only issue is intermittent loud clunk from steering wheel lowering when starting the engine, not a big deal

Bottom line, regret wasted time and $s buying M5s.... Should have switched long time ago
Old 01-10-2016, 09:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
10,000 miles here

2014 E63s

Intermittent heavy steering dealer can't replicate

Had crank position sensor replaced under warranty

Did the recall in engine bay

Had both intake cloth tubes replaced as they had holes in them

Had the Ecu update when I complained about delay in manual paddle shifting

That's about it so far
Old 01-11-2016, 07:01 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
that is a lot of miles man!

back when I had my E63(new) I put 7,278 miles on it in 208 days then traded it haha
Old 01-11-2016, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
10,000 miles here

2014 E63s

Intermittent heavy steering dealer can't replicate
do you have steering assist on ? when i first got mine i had same issue and then realized our cars have steering assist option. Once i turned it off, steering was normal
Old 01-11-2016, 09:17 AM

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
W212 E63 AMG S Model
This is a good thread... I was looking for something like this when I was shopping around for an E63.