W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a 2014 E63 AMG S 4matic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 10:15 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mercedes SL63 AMG; Mercedes E63 AMG S 4matic; Mercedes C43 AMG; Mercedes S Class, Mercedes GLK
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Good looking car
Old 01-23-2016, 06:07 PM

Mercedes SL63 AMG; Mercedes E63 AMG S 4matic; Mercedes C43 AMG; Mercedes S Class, Mercedes GLK
Picked up the car this afternoon, they did a decent job on the items I had asked for. Took it for a nice long drive and found it a very nice balanced experience. I think it will be a great daily driver. Lots for me to figure out, it has many more options than my other vehicles.

Still not quite feeling the stated numbers from a seat of the pants perspective, but as a couple of members suggested, speed is deceiving on this car. It doesn't necessarily feel urgent but gets up to speed quickly when you look down at the speedometer.

Attached a couple of pics. It's been a while since I've had a black vehicle, they get dirty incredibly quickly!

James
Attached Thumbnails Considering a 2014 E63 AMG S 4matic-20160123_151004.jpg   Considering a 2014 E63 AMG S 4matic-20160123_150857.jpg  
Old 01-23-2016, 07:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 SLK55, 2014 E63 Wagon
Congrats. Looks like a great addition to your garage.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,418 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Nice cars and house!
Old 01-23-2016, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Nice cars and house!
Thank you! I just finished putting on 3 car garage addition in front of the original 2 car garage. Gives me room for 4 cars comfortably and the remaining area I've put in stainless steel cabinets and use it as a work area. I'm in the middle of looking for a 4 post car lift so I will have space for 5 vehicles in total. I did most of the work myself and primarily on weekends but the end result has been worth it! I still have lots of finishing work to do but thankfully most of the heavy lifting is finished. The 4 post lift will go where the silver GLK is parked.
Attached Thumbnails Considering a 2014 E63 AMG S 4matic-20151122_113054.jpg   Considering a 2014 E63 AMG S 4matic-20141126_203411.jpg  
Old 01-23-2016, 10:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by mcguirja
Thank you! I just finished putting on 3 car garage addition in front of the original 2 car garage. Gives me room for 4 cars comfortably and the remaining area I've put in stainless steel cabinets and use it as a work area. I'm in the middle of looking for a 4 post car lift so I will have space for 5 vehicles in total. I did most of the work myself and primarily on weekends but the end result has been worth it! I still have lots of finishing work to do but thankfully most of the heavy lifting is finished. The 4 post lift will go where the silver GLK is parked.
Friggen sweet! Well done
Old 01-25-2016, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Nice clean garage you have there.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by otakki
Nice clean garage you have there.
Thank you! Still not finished. I have epoxy floor coating sitting in my basement waiting for spring to come and I have steel cabinets that are now sitting in the garage but not set up yet. They will run along the right hand side along the wall where some of the "stuff" is in the picture. Once I have that done, it should be really clean. It is also insulated and heated so I can work on the vehicles all year round pretty comfortably. These are the cabinets I have, but I will configure them slightly differently than this.
Attached Thumbnails Considering a 2014 E63 AMG S 4matic-garage-cabinets.jpg  
Old 01-25-2016, 09:41 PM

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Mine: 2014 E550 4matic; Hers: 2016 CLS 400 4matic
Beautiful car and garage - you need to post this on garage journal. You also have exquisite taste when it comes to cars. Well done indeed .
Old 01-28-2016, 08:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1999 Lexus LS 400
i suppose i'll chime in here. i gotta agree with just about everything you said, and ours has done that since new. coming from the E55 i felt this car was somewhat underwhelming, particularly over the first 20 or so mph. for a 5.5 liter V8 you expect it to just take off but it gradually surges forward. now, if you activate race start or hold the brake pedal with your left foot while giving it revs it'll definitely jump off the line way quicker. i've driven a CLS550 and i'd say the two felt almost identical, everything's just a bit more in the AMG.

the transmission should always engage and shift smoothly, and once you're up and moving should kick down pretty quickly yet confidently. when you're accelerating from like a slow roll or something the car will like judder a bit but that's just the wet clutch and its normal.

and i too have been in the car and it'll just randomly beep and flash the warning light at you and then nothing happens. only every now and then though. but still for a car with these figures its certainly a bit sluggish off the line, and the throttle comes in pretty late. i think the 4matic definitely bogs it down a bit over RWD, but i say it's worth it for all the practicality.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by stroock6394
i suppose i'll chime in here. i gotta agree with just about everything you said, and ours has done that since new. coming from the E55 i felt this car was somewhat underwhelming, particularly over the first 20 or so mph. for a 5.5 liter V8 you expect it to just take off but it gradually surges forward. now, if you activate race start or hold the brake pedal with your left foot while giving it revs it'll definitely jump off the line way quicker. i've driven a CLS550 and i'd say the two felt almost identical, everything's just a bit more in the AMG.

the transmission should always engage and shift smoothly, and once you're up and moving should kick down pretty quickly yet confidently. when you're accelerating from like a slow roll or something the car will like judder a bit but that's just the wet clutch and its normal.

and i too have been in the car and it'll just randomly beep and flash the warning light at you and then nothing happens. only every now and then though. but still for a car with these figures its certainly a bit sluggish off the line, and the throttle comes in pretty late. i think the 4matic definitely bogs it down a bit over RWD, but i say it's worth it for all the practicality.
I know some have mentioned race start bogs down but I have excellent launches with race star and I reminds me everytime of the beast of an engine this car has....
Old 01-28-2016, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by stroock6394

The timing of your post is so coincidental. I've been driving the car to the office all week and am enjoying it but my experience continues to be exactly as you've described. I was about to write a post asking about the "judder". My SL 63 has this same transmission and I've never had that feeling but sounds like it may be normal with this engine/4matic combination. I've never driven the 550 but was also wondering on my way home tonight what the difference would be between the two and speculated it might be like you described.

I think I had some panacea view that the E63 would combine what I like most about both the SL63 and the S Class. I would end up with fast and fun like the SL but with the comfort and practicality of the S. Although this is an awesome piece of engineering, once the summer arrives this will likely end up stored in my garage until the winter. I had the SL out on the weekend to have some maintenance done, it was cold but the roads were dry. Every time I hit the gas it made me smile, the E63 hasn't left me feeling that way. With that said, I think winter tires have an impact as does 4matic. Once I get summer tires on I will probably have a better sense of what it is really like.

Thanks for your post, makes me feel better that the judder may be normal and not wear and tear from the previous owner.

James
Old 01-28-2016, 11:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1999 Lexus LS 400
The timing of your post is so coincidental. I've been driving the car to the office all week and am enjoying it but my experience continues to be exactly as you've described. I was about to write a post asking about the "judder". My SL 63 has this same transmission and I've never had that feeling but sounds like it may be normal with this engine/4matic combination. I've never driven the 550 but was also wondering on my way home tonight what the difference would be between the two and speculated it might be like you described.

I think I had some panacea view that the E63 would combine what I like most about both the SL63 and the S Class. I would end up with fast and fun like the SL but with the comfort and practicality of the S. Although this is an awesome piece of engineering, once the summer arrives this will likely end up stored in my garage until the winter. I had the SL out on the weekend to have some maintenance done, it was cold but the roads were dry. Every time I hit the gas it made me smile, the E63 hasn't left me feeling that way. With that said, I think winter tires have an impact as does 4matic. Once I get summer tires on I will probably have a better sense of what it is really like.

Thanks for your post, makes me feel better that the judder may be normal and not wear and tear from the previous owner.

James
the SL is quoted to have like 70 more ft lbs than the E, i bet the combination of that and less power loss through RWD vs AWD would probably make that so. then again i've also seen stock dyno tests of the E63 S and it was more power than advertised, which makes it even more confusing why it feels a bit underwhelming.

from what i've read getting a tune seems solve any issues of wanting more power...
Old 01-29-2016, 10:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

James
Consider resetting the tcu to readapt the trans to a more aggressive driving style
Old 01-29-2016, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Sold - 05' E55
You got yourself a good deal, and a nice addition to your stable. A downpipe and tune you'll feel it in the seat - lol
Old 01-03-2017, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Originally Posted by joseyu
1. I think something is wrong if the acceleration doesn't push you back in your seat. Before my E63, I had a Dinan tuned F10 550xi with 500HP and 600TQ, which was a pretty fast car and the E63 feels much faster. Acceleration even without a tune should be relatively brutal.

2. I think MB updated the MCT in the E63 for MY2015. So far I have only driven the 2015 model and the shifts are clean. Have you checked if the car has all the latest software upgrades?

3. No complaints on Pre-Safe so far.

Good luck!
Joseyu - with your point #2, I have a 2015 E63 S and been hearing about a transmission software upgrade but wanted to ask how to check if the car has already had that applied or not?

Wasnt sure if that shows up on the dash menu's somewhere. Or I'm in Chicago as well so guessing FJ Mercedes or Motorwerks Barrington (or any MB dealers) should be able to determine after they put the computer on it???