E63 Gauge cluster in mph

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 11:28 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
2014 E63 Wagon
E63 Gauge cluster in mph

Hey guys,

I just bought a 2014 E63 Wagon in Canada (but live in the states). I'll post proof when the nightmare of import is complete. Until then though, does anyone have any advice on picking up a used gauge cluster (or even just the dial covers) so I can convert the physical kph hash tags into mph ones?

I have a local speedometer place that does all the work for one of our high end exotics dealers. He has some ideas but I thought I'd come poke some experts.

I promise I'll do a better intro later but looking forward to joining you guys!
Old 12-30-2016, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by ajs76
Hey guys,

I just bought a 2014 E63 Wagon in Canada (but live in the states). I'll post proof when the nightmare of import is complete. Until then though, does anyone have any advice on picking up a used gauge cluster (or even just the dial covers) so I can convert the physical kph hash tags into mph ones?

I have a local speedometer place that does all the work for one of our high end exotics dealers. He has some ideas but I thought I'd come poke some experts.

I promise I'll do a better intro later but looking forward to joining you guys!
thats interesting, is it legal to have a Canadian speedometer on a US car? Maybe just get used to learning kilometres but I know it can get really confusing.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:14 PM

2014 E63 Wagon
Your question is what is keeping me up at night. So I have seen lots of candian cars in the us with kph speedos. I've heard of lots of guys importing who got letters (like mine) that said you "MIGHT" have to swap the speedo to register it in your home state.

Then you call importers, and the range of BS answers I get is insane. This should be factual and easy, but everyone tries to make it sound REALLY hard and the answer ranges from: "give me 150 bucks and I'll fill out the paperwork so you can cross" to "I will import it for you into my specific lot and write a letter to the US government which might take 30 days (in which I won't release the car from my lot) and then you can register it!".

It's insane.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:17 PM

2014 E63S AMG
Hahah I have a buddy here in Canada (Montreal) who leases cars through his company from Maryland and he tells me at least in Canada it's no problem running the car with a US speedometer. He never ran into any issues but I don't know, maybe in the US it's different.

I wonder if if you can just get one off a regular e550? It might not look much different.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:19 PM

2014 E63 Wagon
What and give up that sxy AMG badge?
Old 12-30-2016, 12:25 PM

2014 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by ajs76
What and give up that sxy AMG badge?
no never mind, I forgot it was right there haha

you likely won't find one in a junkyard either lol. I guess maybe just order one from the dealer I think it will be tough to find a used one unless you can locate a salvage e63 or something.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:50 PM

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 SQ5 / 2012 Ferrari FF
Hey man-been there, done that (2012 E63 wagon from Toronto to Florida). Any chance this is the Tenorite one with Carbon Ceramics from eBay/Paul Motor Co? Almost got me too if so!
Shoot me your info in a PM and I can get into the details (including import questions - I did it all personal and drove it over the border/paid customs/got sign off right then and there), but long story short for W212 Canadian wagon in US:
1. KPH->MPH Speedo surround: requires the whole dash. You can find one relatively cheap because it is the same as all the E63's for the years, but then you will need to have someone code for the dash to work both with the speedo and for at least one of the temp gauges...but potentially several other things, costing unknown time and money to potentially figure out. I abandoned the project pretty quick-used the digital MPH display and you forget about the surround very quickly. Even the appearance of swapping a dash and recoding to re-enter odometer would be scary to me if i was buying it, so I didn't want to be the guy that had to worry about selling it.
2. Getting it titled in US with KPH surround: In Florida I had zero issue with import/titling because of that (and the new owner had zero issue as well in getting it registered). They need odometer in miles, which you can do, and had no other questions from them.
3. AC control temp from C to F is another thing I looked at, for both the center console and rear AC. Again, needs whole new control unit AND THEN will need coding. That was more straight forward than the dash, but still was warned off of it by two dealers and a tuner shop - basically you'd have to have a very flexible approach to time and money because they were unsure about the time needed to recode properly.

Enjoy the car and don't sweat the Canada stuff. Spend money on tune, resonator delete, and fun stuff When you go to sell, you can either sell/trade it back in Canada, or it will just take longer to sell to someone in the US who will be fine dealing with KPH/celsius.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:04 PM

2014 E63 Wagon
Aha! I knew there would be someone in here as crazy as me. So get this, I'm picking the car up from my college friend's brother who was doing a lease return and he's giving it to me at the residual price which is INSANE.

It's diamond silver with black...pretty much this car:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/t-Used...ting=163311995

except you know...canadian. I'll PM you - thanks!
Old 01-03-2017, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Not sure if it is important to you but the S model speedometer gauge actually says "S-AMG" at the bottom:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Mercede...m=142229907492