Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 10:05 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Traction control, dyno mode and limited traction control test

http://vid991.photobucket.com/albums...ps40gtfjhl.mp4

Did a lot of track and street testing of the different options to basically limit tire spin to all out boil the tires to the threads!

When using street tires at the track or just wanting to have a little more street tire spin , then using the basic traction control button in center console works fine. Also good track launches can be attained using street tires or at least the best the ECU can manage low traction street tires.

Running the 1/4 mile in dyno mode did not work well You could heat the tires up but each time at launch, the ECU still seemed to take over or bog the car off the line.

Finally for all out tire boiling and for use of drag radials at the track, holding down the traction control button for 5 seconds allowed complete freedom from the ECU control.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
The following users liked this post:
wilburfierce (05-19-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 09:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C 63 AMG ( 204), JCW Mini Cooper ( autocross )
Wicked car "metal". I've done our local 1/8 mi strip a few times on street tires ( Mich Pilot S ). So hard to control wheel spin on launch. Most street class cars left me on the line but I reeled most of them back. On the track I used same street tires, sport handling. Til now I didn't know it could be turned off. I think I'll do so next track day.
BTW when I came in my tires had gone from 40psi to 50+. Considering nitrogen for next outing .
Off topic but nearly all tread wear was on outer 1 1/2-2". Would some streetable race tires be a good move? Suspension mods ? Or both. I don't want to go crazy with mods. With my Eurocharge tune I was still one of the fastest cars on the long straight. ( novice ). Very happy with the cars power as is. I started near the back of approx 25 car group and caught up with the 3 fastest cars near the end and we did a couple of laps pretty close together. That was a blast. In spite of tires/etc they would gap me on the straights but the C 63 always closed down the gap in the turns.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:50 PM

"Metal"

BTW. Whats your best 1/8 mile time ?
Old 05-19-2018, 10:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55

Did a lot of track and street testing of the different options to basically limit tire spin to all out boil the tires to the threads!

When using street tires at the track or just wanting to have a little more street tire spin , then using the basic traction control button in center console works fine. Also good track launches can be attained using street tires or at least the best the ECU can manage low traction street tires.

Running the 1/4 mile in dyno mode did not work well You could heat the tires up but each time at launch, the ECU still seemed to take over or bog the car off the line.

Finally for all out tire boiling and for use of drag radials at the track, holding down the traction control button for 5 seconds allowed complete freedom from the ECU control.

do you have awd?
Old 05-19-2018, 10:30 PM

No. RWD. Hence the rear ends enthusiasm for big drifts.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Have not yet seen awd go down the 1/4 mile strip in dyno mode
Old 05-20-2018, 04:12 PM

No, I'm RWD. One time there was a newbie there with a 500e AMG AWD. He asked me how to switch to dyno & I didn't know either. He was still pretty quick. Do you have any 1/8 mi times ?
Old 06-15-2019, 06:15 PM

Received 245 Likes on 152 Posts
Designo White AMG GTS
The GTS is capable enough for track days but in my honest opinion, I bought it as a fun car precisely because my track days are over for the time being. I would've looked elsewhere if I were looking for a track car.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:14 PM
e65

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
2014 E63 S model
Originally Posted by PeterUbers

Have not yet seen awd go down the 1/4 mile strip in dyno mode
I've done it a few times I did not see any difference between that and traction completely off.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55

After your burnout were you able to brake boost launch without the ecu going into temporary limp mode?