W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63

Tyres...who's not using stock Bridgestone rubber?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2016 | 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
Tyres...who's not using stock Bridgestone rubber?

So I'll need tyres soon...I managed to wear my stock RE05A Potenza's down to the steel cords on the inside and if i'm honest, they were fantastic throughout ownership. Either that, or that chassis is pretty special too.

Now....I'm looking at going for a much stickier tyre, the Pilot Cup 2, albeit in a slightly thinner size. 235/35/19 for the front and 265/30/19 for the rear (vs stock 245 and 285 section widths). My reasoning is that they are lighter (particularly the rear tyres) and they should provide even better grip from a dig off the line. Cornering-wise, I had no complaints with the Potenza's...tbh if I bought another set, I'd be happy. But alas, if I can upgrade for a few more £££ then why not.

Thoughts and opinions on this? And what's your preference personally on your car?

FWIW, I don't reeeeeally drive the car much, so longevity isn't the biggest thing on my priority list. I do however like to drive as fast as I can on country roads when I'm out of town and it's dry, so outright grip is important to me. Saving as much unsprung weight as possible will help with everything from acceleration down to handling too, so I'm all for it.