Sponsored by:

M157 Bucking/Idle Issues...Help Needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 09:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,070 Likes on 1,443 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
What if this is more of an intake problem or manifold leak?
Old 07-27-2016, 10:04 AM

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
ED1 e63S
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
What if this is more of an intake problem or manifold leak?
I thought that could be the issue at first. It's impossible to diagnose with no CEL. Any suggestions on how to check for it?

Also, EC offered to help with the car. However, they are 5 hours away from me. Not far given we are in the same state versus across the country, but logistically I cannot get the car there without great expense in shipping it to them and renting a car or driving it down/flying back and then flying down again and driving it back and also renting a car during that time period. I have asked if they could not just analyze the ECU data and see if they notice any abnormalities but I have not heard back yet. The impression I got was that the only way they would help was if they had the car. I get that, but I also have videos of it happening so they can see what it looks like. Obviously, I was hoping for some type of a solution that was not so complicated and expensive.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
^ it would run like crap all the time if intake manifold leak and would throw codes like P2187 / P2189 /P0171 / P0174... intake manifold leak would of been pretty obvious to the techs, and they would of loved to charge you a few grand for that repair

also if you really want to check for it even though you arent getting codes, old trick used diagnose it on cars pre-obd is to spray brake cleaner along the intake manifold seal while car is running and listen for rpm changes... if there is a leak the car rpm will change as the leak sucks in the brake fluid cleaner and burns it as extra fuel..... but again, doubt intake manifold leak is your problem as it would do a lot more than just random jerkiness on startup

Last edited by gaspam; 07-27-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by OrientBlue3
I thought that could be the issue at first. It's impossible to diagnose with no CEL. Any suggestions on how to check for it?

Also, EC offered to help with the car. However, they are 5 hours away from me. Not far given we are in the same state versus across the country, but logistically I cannot get the car there without great expense in shipping it to them and renting a car or driving it down/flying back and then flying down again and driving it back and also renting a car during that time period. I have asked if they could not just analyze the ECU data and see if they notice any abnormalities but I have not heard back yet. The impression I got was that the only way they would help was if they had the car. I get that, but I also have videos of it happening so they can see what it looks like. Obviously, I was hoping for some type of a solution that was not so complicated and expensive.
I do understand the logistical nightmare, but nothing like being able to replicate the issue on say a dyno and making real time changes to see if that helped or worked.

Just an idea (being that I frequently do the Dallas/Houston drive). Book a week car rental in Houston (there are several rental places near Eurocharged's location). Drive out there Friday night and drop off car on Saturday/pick up rental same day. Hit the houston scene saturday night or go back home saturday. Repeat the process after Eurocharged has had your car for a week and hopefully fixed or tuned out the issue.
Cost is one or two week rental (about what you paid diagnostic or was it retune?), gas, two hotel nights and "entertainment". If this bothers you that much and Eurocharged is willing to help, this might just work
Old 07-27-2016, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
Nothing like the good old "blame the tune" dealership BS. There are literally many hundreds of M157's running around tuned who do not have this problem. IF that's there hypothesis they can easily flash back to stock to prove. sorry this has been an ordeal for you, but this is HW not software related.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

83zx83 had essentially the same issue, and he documented his saga on this forum, this is the last message before Mbusa gave him a new 2014 e63S in 2014 to replace his, after I got a buyback for my e550 i worked with him to describe the process:

"My dealer was helpful in reaching a reasonable resolution today. I was told the final repair resolution was a wet clutch replacement and repair of intake manifold leak. With that said post "repair" when my radar detector installer picked up and dropped of the car to pull the passport system - he said the car shut off twice unexpectedly while on the road twice - Good bye to the troubled E63S, hello new beast! "

This is how he described it:

"Only 2500 miles on the car and Been experiencing a hesitation when accelerating from a complete stop. More pronounced in ECO mode but there in other modes as well. It kind of shudders initially and then is fine

Asked the dealer to look at the issue. Shop foreman went for a test drive with me riding along. He noticed the same issue. It is worse when the engine is cold.

The repair ticket says they updated software, but the issue remains. Seems like my dealer personnel don't give a crap. Two messages and no return calls. "

Another description:

"Appreciate any insight/advice please! - Hey I love this car, BUT I have had a significant safety issue, really since purchased. On cold/cool mornings when I start it and put in Drive many times (not every time) it bucks wildly, i mean wildly like neck snapping wild. So bad I need to take my foot off the accelerator. Usually occurs for a few seconds then all is fine. Been in the shop 4 times and 15 days and counting for this (has been in for other issues as well). I assumed my dealer would resolve and was assured each time it was all set. Last time it was in repair for 10 biz days. When i got it home and in the garage, I gave the thing a hug (how crazy is that). Any way still the same issue. I contacted MBUSA today to be sure I have the right address to send my "demand for relief" and to let them know it was coming. Sounds like nothing was fed up the chain from the dealer, so it was news to them. Anyone ever have to go thru this? I don't want money back - just want the car I should have gotten when I bought it late in 2013. Very sad and unbelievable it has come to this point. "

Last edited by PeterUbers; 07-27-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:45 PM

ED1 e63S
Originally Posted by KLR CLS
Nothing like the good old "blame the tune" dealership BS. There are literally many hundreds of M157's running around tuned who do not have this problem. IF that's there hypothesis they can easily flash back to stock to prove. sorry this has been an ordeal for you, but this is HW not software related.
I agree. That's my concern, hardware failure. I feel like the car is a ticking time bomb at this point with a wet clutch that will blow at any moment. That's why I just want to sell the car before that happens. This whole experience has made me lose the love I had for the car, which is a shame because I've only owned it for 14 months. I enjoyed my C63 for 4 years before I wanted to move on to something more powerful with some extra amenities like the CLS has.

83zx83 had essentially the same issue, and he documented his saga on this forum, this is the last message before Mbusa gave him a new 2014 e63S in 2014 to replace his, after I got a buyback for my e550 i worked with him to describe the process:

"My dealer was helpful in reaching a reasonable resolution today. I was told the final repair resolution was a wet clutch replacement and repair of intake manifold leak. With that said post "repair" when my radar detector installer picked up and dropped of the car to pull the passport system - he said the car shut off twice unexpectedly while on the road twice - Good bye to the troubled E63S, hello new beast! "

This is how he described it:

"Only 2500 miles on the car and Been experiencing a hesitation when accelerating from a complete stop. More pronounced in ECO mode but there in other modes as well. It kind of shudders initially and then is fine

Asked the dealer to look at the issue. Shop foreman went for a test drive with me riding along. He noticed the same issue. It is worse when the engine is cold.

The repair ticket says they updated software, but the issue remains. Seems like my dealer personnel don't give a crap. Two messages and no return calls. "

Another description:

"Appreciate any insight/advice please! - Hey I love this car, BUT I have had a significant safety issue, really since purchased. On cold/cool mornings when I start it and put in Drive many times (not every time) it bucks wildly, i mean wildly like neck snapping wild. So bad I need to take my foot off the accelerator. Usually occurs for a few seconds then all is fine. Been in the shop 4 times and 15 days and counting for this (has been in for other issues as well). I assumed my dealer would resolve and was assured each time it was all set. Last time it was in repair for 10 biz days. When i got it home and in the garage, I gave the thing a hug (how crazy is that). Any way still the same issue. I contacted MBUSA today to be sure I have the right address to send my "demand for relief" and to let them know it was coming. Sounds like nothing was fed up the chain from the dealer, so it was news to them. Anyone ever have to go thru this? I don't want money back - just want the car I should have gotten when I bought it late in 2013. Very sad and unbelievable it has come to this point. "
Thanks Peter. I appreciate this. It sounds exactly like the problem I have. I'm shocked though given that I'm out of warranty that they would not be able to diagnose a hardware error. You'd think they'd love to ring me up for $5k+ for a new wet clutch if they even thought remotely that was the problem.

I'm going to have EC re-upload the tune and see how things for for the next month or so. If I get desperate enough, I may just find a way to get the car to Houston to EC. Jerry confirmed today that he cannot tell anything from the ECU data like I was hoping for.

Thank you both kponti and gaspam for your responses as well.

Last edited by OrientBlue3; 07-27-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 E63 AMG, 2013 E350 4matic (SOLD), 2006 C55 AMG (SOLD)
Sent you a PM.

Hope you can get the issues resolved.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:53 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 CLS63 S
Originally Posted by KLR CLS
I agree. Not only would there be loads of Eurocharged tuned cars of the same model, nearly all of the tunes are identical (canned rather than custom).
Old 08-08-2016, 11:26 AM

ED1 e63S
Hi all,

In light of all the issues, I said screw it and sent it back to EC and had them re-tune it back to the existing tune I had before the ECU update wiped it out. Jerry had told me up front they could not use the ECU data to find any issues, so it more than likely would not be a way towards fixing the problem but heck if the car did it tuned and stock, I figured I'd at least enjoy having my power back. I never thought a 550hp car would feel slow!

Anyways, I'm actually surprised to say that I've had the car back for 3 days now and have had no cold start bucking issues and only once in 3 days of driving so far did I catch a slight hesitation on a warm motor where the clutch engages and doesn't release in sync with throttle tip-in causing just a slight hesitation. Normally this would happen (cold and warm motor combined) at least 3-4 times per day. So while still early, 1 time in 3 days is a huge improvement over what was happening before.

Jerry had to re-write tune since I had the latest software from MB, so I'm not sure if that is what has reduced/resolved the issue or if he did do something on his end and just didn't acknowledge it because business is business. Jerry has been fantastic to work with, so I'm certainly not accusing them of doing that type of practice despite what others were suggesting, I'm just sharing what he had communicated with me. Either way, I'm looking forward to driving the car more and seeing how frequent this issue was. I was seriously down the road in my search for C63 S's but was coming up empty within my state (to keep the tax savings) so maybe this was what was meant to be after all the headaches.

I will say, just for grins or should I say frowns I guess...I took my car in for appraisals at 3 dealers (2 MB and 1 exotic used car dealership) and got the shock of my life. I bought the car 14 months ago at 50% off sticker with 30k mikes, I've put 8k miles on it in that time and it's now worth $20k less than I paid in a mere 14 months. I was hoping for $10k less, expecting $15k less and was told $20k less. Both exotic used dealership an 1 MB dealership offered me the EXACT same amount for the car which I thought was odd and was wondering if there had to be communication between the two and the 2nd MB dealership didn't even want to buy the car because they said they didn't sell matte paint well. Ahh, the joys of being an AMG owner!!
Old 08-08-2016, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
CLS63 PP
Nothing depreciates as savagely as an AMG, The good new is if its working , enjoy it like crazy!
Old 03-21-2017, 04:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by orientisafgt
LOL I just read this whole thread. You and the dealer are both retarded. If a vehicle comes in with aftermarket tunes, you must put it to stock to start a proper diagnosis(THIS GOES FOR ANY MAKE AND MODEL). The dealer could have flashed you back to stock.

If the concern is not going on with the vehicle at time of inspection, a technician can not fix it. Stored codes are just stored information that can some times help out in diagnosis but when dealing with a drive-ability concern not so much. Codes are only set when something is out of a parameter, this means you can have issues and not code set. No one cares if you have a video of your problem, figure out how to make it happen and then show someone. Note down, engine temp, exterior temp, humidity in the air, was it raining, snowing, ETC. How do you make it happen, how many times has it happened, what else do you here or see when it's going on, the more info the better.

The dealer should have kept your vehicle until they fixed it, you should not ever got it back until they found the failed component, but they should have known to flash to back to a stock ECU. If it was out of warranty you might have to pay lots of diagnosis time as intermittent issues can be very difficult in this day and age, with all the computers and networking we have in them.
you are awesome
Old 03-21-2017, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

the username lmao! someone hates someone(or maybe secretly loves them) lol
Old 03-21-2017, 05:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by gaspam
the username lmao! someone hates someone(or maybe secretly loves them) lol
one post, such hate.... several month old thread

im gunna create a username: gaspam_is_a_$&87@

and just resurrect one year old threads of yours lolol
The following users liked this post:
gaspam (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lmao
Old 03-21-2017, 06:02 PM

ED1 e63S
Flattered I have an admirer when I hardly even post on the forum. Maybe he's the pour soul who bought my car! Lol.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

I'm getting old guys ... what does afgt mean?
Old 03-21-2017, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm getting old guys ... what does afgt mean?
i am assuming it phonetic for -a -*** -got

he's already banned lol

Last edited by gaspam; 03-21-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by gaspam
i am assuming it phonetic for -a -*** -got

he's already banned lol
omfg.... it all makes sense now ... afgt

orient ... how did you end up on this lady's hate list?
Old 03-22-2017, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Bimmer kids bored waiting for parts again...just like the old days
Old 07-19-2017, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts
C63 AMG, P30
Delete