Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Surprised a 458 (and myself)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 12:06 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 AMG S65, AMG GL63, 2012 AMG E63 With AMS Alpha 9 Package, Renntech 200 Catted Downpipes.
Could agree with you more. We ( at lease I'm not ) a tuner and I'm sure AMS, Renntech, etc. has faster E63 than me. It's not about having the fastest E63, it's about how good you feel about your E63 or cars.

Originally Posted by efiftyfizzle
Having the fastest car isn't always an owner's concern. I'm sure the guy with the 458 could get a faster car, but there's more to a car than just speed. We are impressed with our cars performance, but there are other cars that could beat us just as bad (in the same price ranges).

With that said, I'd love to own a 458 some day.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Originally Posted by Davidkuo0330
No doubt the super cars handled better. Just by looking how low they sit out of the factory. I have drive my fair share of these super cars and know the lateral g are higher. Off the line, it's a shame they don't compare to what was paid.
Yes, our cars are clearly more similar to a hellcat than to a super car.

Originally Posted by efiftyfizzle
Having the fastest car isn't always an owner's concern. I'm sure the guy with the 458 could get a faster car, but there's more to a car than just speed. We are impressed with our cars performance, but there are other cars that could beat us just as bad (in the same price ranges).

With that said, I'd love to own a 458 some day.
+1
For me, it would be a FF/GTC4.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:50 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Mercedes-Benz AMG E63 & ML350 Bluetec
I matched a 458's time on an F1 track last month, so yes you can make our cars really work on a track. It takes some doing, but knowing how to drive a car with that much heft and taking serious advantage of where our cars are strong on the track can neutralize their advantage quite a bit. Not all the way, but with the serious grunt of a Renntech tune, I passed every car in my run group at COTA and was not passed once. Story should be published in the Mercedes Benz Club of America magazine in the next issue in a month or so.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:19 PM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
no MBs at the moment :(
Originally Posted by TX E55
I matched a 458's time on an F1 track last month, so yes you can make our cars really work on a track. It takes some doing, but knowing how to drive a car with that much heft and taking serious advantage of where our cars are strong on the track can neutralize their advantage quite a bit. Not all the way, but with the serious grunt of a Renntech tune, I passed every car in my run group at COTA and was not passed once. Story should be published in the Mercedes Benz Club of America magazine in the next issue in a month or so.
I understand where you're coming from, but it's still apples and oranges unless you have the same driver in both. When I had a stock VW GTI I was "faster" on the track than new 911 GT3s and Corvette Stingray. With my E90 M3, I was still faster than similar cars, but also got passed by an excellent driver in lightly modded Honda Civic. On a track, the driver is 80-90%, it doesn't mean a fat pig of a car (E63) is nearly as good as a Ferrari/GT3.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
Originally Posted by CliffJumper
I understand where you're coming from, but it's still apples and oranges unless you have the same driver in both. When I had a stock VW GTI I was "faster" on the track than new 911 GT3s and Corvette Stingray. With my E90 M3, I was still faster than similar cars, but also got passed by an excellent driver in lightly modded Honda Civic. On a track, the driver is 80-90%, it doesn't mean a fat pig of a car (E63) is nearly as good as a Ferrari/GT3.
^ this 100%.... same thing with motorcycles as i used to do a lot of track days on my bike and would end up smoking guys on liter bikes (really fast bike) with my old sv650 (not a fast bike).... most of them had know idea how to corner or brake
Old 03-31-2016, 07:56 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 AMG S65, AMG GL63, 2012 AMG E63 With AMS Alpha 9 Package, Renntech 200 Catted Downpipes.
My 0.02. I'm not the best driver and to be cautious, I don't race going through hill side trying to beat the next guy. But let's say a Indy 500 driver driving a Honda Civic was racing a mustang 5.0 off the line. If the civic doesn't crash and burn on take off, the civic will still win? Straight line guys. Super cars vs. piggy AMG sedan or wagon.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:56 PM

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
no MBs at the moment :(
Originally Posted by Davidkuo0330
My 0.02. I'm not the best driver and to be cautious, I don't race going through hill side trying to beat the next guy. But let's say a Indy 500 driver driving a Honda Civic was racing a mustang 5.0 off the line. If the civic doesn't crash and burn on take off, the civic will still win? Straight line guys. Super cars vs. piggy AMG sedan or wagon.
I agree with you for a drag race, but I believe the thread had moved over to claiming an E63 is just as fast as a Ferrari on a road track (COTA to be specific), which is much wider difference to overcome which just extra HP and some lowering springs.