W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63

Turbo-back Down pipes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2016 | 01:25 PM

2018 E63S
Originally Posted by kponti
So another update...
The car sounds PHENOMENAL with the stock resonator in place. The sound was RAW, loud and mean with straight pipes but with the resonator it has lost a lot of the rawness and developed a very refined tone. The last car I heard that I could compare it with was like riding in a Gallardo. It is still quite loud under WOT but you need to go WOT to hear anything intrusive at all.

The biggest change IMO seems to be at freeway speeds, it just pulls!!!
Prior to the downpipes, my car was a beast from stop or slow speeds and up. Dropping the hammer after 60 was great but nothing to write home about. With the pipes and retune (Renntech before and after), dropping the hammer at freeway speeds feels like from 20mph, just pulls and pulls hard!

It really feels like the delta change I got from stock to Renntech tune the first time around (I know I know, I did not gain an additional 80rwhp and 180rw plus torque)
Glad it feels great after the modifications! Don't have turboback dp's, but got mine back today, and absolutely agree with all that you said here. The car feels much much stronger at speed. Absolutely love it, and the sounds....wow.
Old 04-29-2016 | 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
So another update...
The car sounds PHENOMENAL with the stock resonator in place. The sound was RAW, loud and mean with straight pipes but with the resonator it has lost a lot of the rawness and developed a very refined tone. The last car I heard that I could compare it with was like riding in a Gallardo. It is still quite loud under WOT but you need to go WOT to hear anything intrusive at all.

Prior to the downpipes, my car was a beast from stop or slow speeds and up. Dropping the hammer after 60 was great but nothing to write home about. With the pipes and retune (Renntech before and after), dropping the hammer at freeway speeds feels like from 20mph, just pulls and pulls hard!

It really feels like the delta change I got from stock to Renntech tune the first time around (I know I know, I did not gain an additional 80rwhp and 180rw plus torque)
I'll second everything said here. This is the sound the car should and could have come with from the factory. I don't leave the house that early and my neighbors are used to my E55 and my girlfriend's GT-R so I'll probably be deleting my resonator as well.
Old 05-01-2016 | 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
Another update.

Seems I may have found one thing I am not impressed with on this setup. My titanium ceramic coating did not reduce temperatures at all as compared to stock. I registered 300 to 350 degrees with the stock double walled bridge section. I am seeing 340 to 380 degrees with the coated single walled pipe. I can only imagine how much hotter it will be under the hood without the coating.

I would strongly urge anyone doing this to have it ceramic coated or heat wrapped since the stock piece is so efficient at keeping underhood temps down. I'm sure with time the heat increase will take a toll on plastic pieces under the hood, if you do not wrap or coat it. 40-50 degrees is nothing in the grand scheme so the coating is working as it should

The weird thing though was that I did not get that very hot air in my face when I opened the hood with the ceramic coated pipes as I did with the stock bridge. But numbers are numbers, unless I messed up somewhere along taking the readings

Last edited by kponti; 05-03-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-01-2016 | 11:46 AM

2016 E63 S
The main reason I hesitate is heat. Wonder is you can coat and wrap them how much cooler it would get?
Old 05-01-2016 | 12:28 PM

2018 E63S
So another update...

Do you find your car is making more efficient shifts after the retune? That slight hesitation/jerk from 2 to 3 in M seems to have gone away. Manual shifts are like C shifts now. Doesn't speed up the whole process by any means ( still not gt3 pdk, or anywhere near that), but once the actual mechanical shift happens its quick and smooth now. Thoughts?
Old 05-01-2016 | 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
Originally Posted by Ralcbah
Do you find your car is making more efficient shifts after the retune? That slight hesitation/jerk from 2 to 3 in M seems to have gone away. Manual shifts are like C shifts now. Doesn't speed up the whole process by any means ( still not gt3 pdk, or anywhere near that), but once the actual mechanical shift happens its quick and smooth now. Thoughts?
I agree! I did think this was due to the tune update. I guess it could be from the pipes
Old 05-01-2016 | 01:51 PM

2018 E63S
I agree! I did think this was due to the tune update. I guess it could be from the pipes
Cool. Good point. Could be either the pipes or software, or both. Either way, it's better.
Old 05-01-2016 | 06:46 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

2003 CL55
So another update...

Great write up and good to hear the before and after resonator report. I bet the turbo engine with direct injection has a lot less smell than the E55`s.

I assume with all the rain Saturday, that you are holding off until next Saturday to get your dyno? 8am still?

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 05-01-2016 | 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
Originally Posted by Exotic-metal55
Great write up and good to hear the before and after resonator report. I bet the turbo engine with direct injection has a lot less smell than the E55`s.

I assume with all the rain Saturday, that you are holding off until next Saturday to get your dyno? 8am still?
Smell is actually not bad at all. And yes next Saturday 8am is the plan
Old 05-02-2016 | 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here's an update of my own. Been running the pipes with everything intact for about a week and just removed my resonator. As mentioned, the sound with the resonator was amazing. Absolutely OEM sounding but with a beautiful refined growl on throttle. But...I needed to know for myself how it sounded without the resonator. Now it's just mean, angry, and commanding of attention. It's still quiet enough at low throttle and cruising is still very close to OEM. On throttle is now aggressive and throaty, maybe even obnoxious to those outside the vehicle. It sounds very good though.

I enjoy the sound and will keep it this way but to be totally honest, it sounded just about perfect with the resonator. I may put it back in later but for now I'm going to scare some kids and the elderly!

As far as performance goes, the car now has that aggressive power delivery that it was missing at freeway speeds. I've been disappointed comparing this to the E55 when it comes to seat of the pants grunt but now I'm satisfied and actually impressed!

Last edited by chiromikey; 05-02-2016 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-03-2016 | 09:23 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by chiromikey
Here's an update of my own. Been running the pipes with everything intact for about a week and just removed my resonator. As mentioned, the sound with the resonator was amazing. Absolutely OEM sounding but with a beautiful refined growl on throttle. But...I needed to know for myself how it sounded without the resonator. Now it's just mean, angry, and commanding of attention. It's still quiet enough at low throttle and cruising is still very close to OEM. On throttle is now aggressive and throaty, maybe even obnoxious to those outside the vehicle. It sounds very good though.

I enjoy the sound and will keep it this way but to be totally honest, it sounded just about perfect with the resonator. I may put it back in later but for now I'm going to scare some kids and the elderly!

As far as performance goes, the car now has that aggressive power delivery that it was missing at freeway speeds. I've been disappointed comparing this to the E55 when it comes to seat of the pants grunt but now I'm satisfied and actually impressed!
Hehe see told u the 55k felt more aggressive, but glad your liking the biturbo. Keep up the feedback guys, we appreciate it

Just for reference these are turbo back pipes yes?
do they fit AWD 63s?
Old 05-03-2016 | 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, these are the turbo back pipes. Mine is rwd so I'm not sure about fitment on AWD.

Up until now, I much preferred the 55k power delivery. It just felt brutal compared to the TT. I still like the K when it comes to controlling the power since the power was always instantly on tap but now at least the TT feels just as brutal.
Old 05-04-2016 | 11:14 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
They wont fit on a AWD drive car.

PM me if anyone wants to purchase a set for a RWD car.

Last edited by shardul; 05-04-2016 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-04-2016 | 04:08 PM

Mercedes-Benz AMG E63 & ML350 Bluetec
Sounds awesome, mine are going in next week!
Old 05-04-2016 | 04:31 PM

Mercedes-Benz AMG E63 & ML350 Bluetec
Is it just me or in that video can you hear the turbos spooling much more clearly? That would be a big improvement for me....
Old 05-04-2016 | 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm personally not a fan but yes, you will hear the turbos constantly now.
Old 05-04-2016 | 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
Originally Posted by TX E55
Is it just me or in that video can you hear the turbos spooling much more clearly? That would be a big improvement for me....
Yes spool noises are up quite a bit. But not necessarily bad
Old 05-10-2016 | 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
Smell is actually not bad at all. And yes next Saturday 8am is the plan

did this happen? interested in results... would be the first non-vendo turbo back graph i've seen
Old 05-10-2016 | 09:16 PM
AHI

AMG GTR
I find the smell to be brutal. So bad that if I spend even 3 seconds in the trunk area, I smell like fuel for hours.

The sound with Catless dp's, and x- pipe, is unbeatable.
Old 05-10-2016 | 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
Originally Posted by AHI
I find the smell to be brutal. So bad that if I spend even 3 seconds in the trunk area, I smell like fuel for hours.

The sound with Catless dp's, and x- pipe, is unbeatable.
Mine now stinks pretty good, but I don't smell like fuel standing in the back. Also nothing in the car
Now due to some comedy of errors I now smell like fuel standing in the rear as of yesterday lol. I'll explain in my next post.

Last edited by kponti; 05-10-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-10-2016 | 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
Originally Posted by gaspam
did this happen? interested in results... would be the first non-vendo turbo back graph i've seen
Did not happen yet. I dropped off the car for a valve cover leak and they decided to update my ECU and TCU cos my lane assist/eco start needed updating (remember I had the start stop disabled by Renntech) and my lithium ion battery was loosing charge so was replaced.
So picked up my car and shifts in sport and sport plus were much harsher than ever before. Car holds gears a lot longer than before. Overall a sportier drive, but the Renntech tune is gone, cel is on for the cats.
I just dropped my ecu back in the mail and hope to get it back Thursday. Maybe I can do the dyno this Saturday.
Old 05-11-2016 | 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Did not happen yet. I dropped off the car for a valve cover leak and they decided to update my ECU and TCU cos my lane assist/eco start needed updating (remember I had the start stop disabled by Renntech) and my lithium ion battery was loosing charge so was replaced.
So picked up my car and shifts in sport and sport plus were much harsher than ever before. Car holds gears a lot longer than before. Overall a sportier drive, but the Renntech tune is gone, cel is on for the cats.
I just dropped my ecu back in the mail and hope to get it back Thursday. Maybe I can do the dyno this Saturday.
ugh that sucks, that's once thing i hate about all the software on these cars is that they are always doing updates and whiping out tune... not a big deal when you live close to the tuner like me but for those far away sucks having to send ecu away... wish we could get a handheld loader like i had on the e55/ c63, where i could just reload my tune at home
Old 05-11-2016 | 03:29 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Originally Posted by gaspam
ugh that sucks, that's once thing i hate about all the software on these cars is that they are always doing updates and whiping out tune... not a big deal when you live close to the tuner like me but for those far away sucks having to send ecu away... wish we could get a handheld loader like i had on the e55/ c63, where i could just reload my tune at home

Depending on the model year, our tunes are uploaded via the OBDII port so that you may either load the tune or revert back to stock at your own convenience.
Old 05-11-2016 | 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sales@eurocharged.com
Depending on the model year, our tunes are uploaded via the OBDII port so that you may either load the tune or revert back to stock at your own convenience.
Are you saying certain year Biturbo owners can upload tunes via OBDII? When did this happen and why isn't it offered?
Old 05-11-2016 | 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sales@eurocharged.com
what years ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Turbo-back Down pipes