My Experience With AMS Performance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
Originally Posted by BerndV
Seriously, what is with all the lol's and emoticons that accompany your post's? Is this stuff really humorous enough to induce laughing out loud? I would really appreciate it if you would refrain from hijacking my threads.
hmm i looked over this thread and only see 1 lol from me... i wouldnt use the phrase "all the lol's" as it implies there is more than one .... i did count 9 lol's from you though... pot meet kettle ... (oh i know you are gonna say your lol's where in sarcasm)
Old 10-03-2016, 02:09 PM

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
2016 E63 S AMG
Originally Posted by gaspam
hmm i looked over this thread and only see 1 lol from me... i wouldnt use the phrase "all the lol's" as it implies there is more than one .... i did count 9 lol's from you though... pot meet kettle ... (oh i know you are gonna say your lol's where in sarcasm)
Bingo! The eleven PM's I've received about your posting habits indicates that I am not alone.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:41 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Sarcasm aside, he does make a valid point. What proof do you have that anything positive was gained from the mod. Yes lower temp is nice, but if no timing is pulled, or anything that affects performance is shown, then nothing is gained

I say this from modding experience as well that sometimes, just because something looks amazing, or makes sense as an application, does not necessarily mean it will have a positive impact...in fact some times it has the opposite in the long run!

Take your intake test for example, everyone said it would yield power, bigger is better, but when it was put to the test results showed otherwise and vise versa.

Just because a mod worked wonders on one model or make of a car, does not mean it applies to the rest. In your case the AMS cooling mod was made during the first gen biturbo v8. The 14+ cars got an updated cooling system/split and I think the S models might push this further (but not sure).

You mention brakes. On my 55k I upgraded my rotors to a way lighter more competitive package that was advertised at the time (evosport). They were supposed to reduce unsprung weight, better stopping, free up hp and all that cool stuff. What was not mentioned was, stopping power was not like stock under repeated application and they developed a layer over time which caused a vibration under load, which was something I had to live with

lesson learned is that these cars are so heavily researched and developed and their parts are made in a specific way for a reason that is not always clear to us

Last edited by Zod; 10-04-2016 at 06:54 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zod:
gaspam (10-04-2016), quandary (10-06-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Valid point Zod. I do have the full AMS cooling kit and could argue to the contrary of what you are saying but it does not apply. My 2012 did not have split cooling, updated pump, and secondary HE, stock. I would notice a drastic decrease in power after idling for a while.
When I first picked up the car from the dealership after the Renntech tune, I left my wife in while I ran inside to talk to someone for a few minutes. It was in the 50/60s temp wise that day and the car was left idling. I came back and we left, WOT was felt exactly the same as before the tune. Talk about being disappointed!!!

By the time I got home that day (an hour later), I made one last WOT pull near my neighbourhood. Car was definitely faster. I wondered at the time if it was the ECU getting more aggressive as more miles were put on. I later came to find after logging that it was IAT temps.
Fast forward today, I can idle for 20-30mins and take off, no power loss whatsoever! Mind you it is now constantly in the mid-90s here compared to the 40-60 degrees last winter when the tune first went on
Old 10-04-2016, 11:50 AM

2016 E63 S AMG
[QUOTE=Zod;6932628]What proof do you have that anything positive was gained from the mod. Yes lower temp is nice, but if no timing is pulled, or anything that affects performance is shown, then nothing is gained./QUOTE]

I am not trying to prove anything. This isn't a peer reviewed research paper. If you don't think the AMS intercooler upgrade is worth installing, then don't buy one. I am simply sharing my own personal anecdotal experience with the modifications I've installed. I have no desire to argue or debate with other members. I suppose I could have installed the various modifications I've chosen and not started any threads to report my experiences. However, if we all did that, the forum would be quite boring.
The following 2 users liked this post by BerndV:
kponti (10-04-2016), MrBlonde (10-12-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 05:20 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
[QUOTE=BerndV;6932844]
Originally Posted by Zod
What proof do you have that anything positive was gained from the mod. Yes lower temp is nice, but if no timing is pulled, or anything that affects performance is shown, then nothing is gained./QUOTE]

I am not trying to prove anything. This isn't a peer reviewed research paper. If you don't think the AMS intercooler upgrade is worth installing, then don't buy one. I am simply sharing my own personal anecdotal experience with the modifications I've installed. I have no desire to argue or debate with other members. I suppose I could have installed the various modifications I've chosen and not started any threads to report my experiences. However, if we all did that, the forum would be quite boring.
You miss understand, I am grateful you are sharing, I am just stating my own experience as well. You are not the first nor the last to post and claim things from tuners with their own opinions, however history has shown, not to completely trust an opinion but rather data. Can not tell you how many times I have seen people post about tunes/mods being the bees wax, while they never got a base line to compare, but swear its AMAZING.

Same people later discover they run crap times, or dyno no where near what they assumed or felt, even worse race a stock car and lose... Its subjective and gives others a false sense.

Look at our platform, when it first came out nearly all the tunes resulted in limp mode and melted plugs over time, yet you did not hear about it a lot from the tuners, but more so from the user base over time. The initial thought was OMG 550-560WHP+ with tune only GET IT DONE

Again not meaning to offend and am sorry if I did, but rather trying to let you see our point of view

Please keep sharing and all the best

Last edited by Zod; 10-04-2016 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,893 Likes on 1,327 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
[QUOTE=Zod;6933142]

You miss understand, I am grateful you are sharing, I am just stating my own experience as well. You are not the first nor the last to post and claim things from tuners with their own opinions, however history has shown, not to completely trust an opinion but rather data. Can not tell you how many times I have seen people post about tunes/mods being the bees wax, while they never got a base line to compare, but swear its AMAZING.

Same people later discover they run crap times, or dyno no where near what they assumed or felt, even worse race a stock car and lose... Its subjective and gives others a false sense.

Look at our platform, when it first came out nearly all the tunes resulted in limp mode and melted plugs over time, yet you did not hear about it a lot from the tuners, but more so from the user base over time. The initial thought was OMG 550-560WHP+ with tune only GET IT DONE

Again not meaning to offend and am sorry if I did, but rather trying to let you see our point of view

Please keep sharing and all the best
zod you are a class act
Old 10-04-2016, 09:54 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
?
AMEN!

Originally Posted by Zod
Sarcasm aside, he does make a valid point. What proof do you have that anything positive was gained from the mod. Yes lower temp is nice, but if no timing is pulled, or anything that affects performance is shown, then nothing is gained

I say this from modding experience as well that sometimes, just because something looks amazing, or makes sense as an application, does not necessarily mean it will have a positive impact...in fact some times it has the opposite in the long run!

Take your intake test for example, everyone said it would yield power, bigger is better, but when it was put to the test results showed otherwise and vise versa.

Just because a mod worked wonders on one model or make of a car, does not mean it applies to the rest. In your case the AMS cooling mod was made during the first gen biturbo v8. The 14+ cars got an updated cooling system/split and I think the S models might push this further (but not sure).

You mention brakes. On my 55k I upgraded my rotors to a way lighter more competitive package that was advertised at the time (evosport). They were supposed to reduce unsprung weight, better stopping, free up hp and all that cool stuff. What was not mentioned was, stopping power was not like stock under repeated application and they developed a layer over time which caused a vibration under load, which was something I had to live with

lesson learned is that these cars are so heavily researched and developed and their parts are made in a specific way for a reason that is not always clear to us
Classic !! you can bring the water to horse but not make it drink (something like this in the USA)
Old 10-06-2016, 09:40 PM
AG6

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
13 GL550
Good info. I have been considering their exhaust system from my other thread and seems like they are a good company to work with.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 CLS63 AMG S
Originally Posted by Zod
This brings up a good point. I am still seeing posts every 1-2 weeks about plug issues even now ... are these engines just not being tuned well or what is going on? As far as I can tell it is STILL a problem. Interested to hear your thoughts.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:13 PM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by quandary
This brings up a good point. I am still seeing posts every 1-2 weeks about plug issues even now ... are these engines just not being tuned well or what is going on? As far as I can tell it is STILL a problem. Interested to hear your thoughts.
It seems for the 14+ model year cars, tuners recommend stock updated plugs and to change them every 15k+ or something along those lines.
Also change the gap at which they sit, has been an other topic of debate. I would say consult your tuner

Last edited by Zod; 10-07-2016 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 08:45 PM
AG6

13 GL550
I will also be embarking on a weight reduction program for the car over the winter. I am a big believer in reducing un-sprung weight as well as weight in general. As long as it does not compromise the luxury and serenity I intend to retain, weight reduction is a win-win for acceleration, braking, handling, ride quality, and efficient operation.
It would be interesting to see this progress. I too have been considering some sort of weight reduction. I want to start with wheels and was looking at the renntech super light weight series. Carbon fiber wheels would be sweet, though don't know any companies that make some for our car.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:03 PM

2016 E63 S AMG
Originally Posted by AG6
It would be interesting to see this progress. I too have been considering some sort of weight reduction. I want to start with wheels and was looking at the renntech super light weight series. Carbon fiber wheels would be sweet, though don't know any companies that make some for our car.
Carbon fiber wheels for our car:

https://www.esecarbon.com/index

These are what I have ordered.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:20 PM
AG6

13 GL550
Carbon fiber wheels for our car:

https://www.esecarbon.com/index

These are what I have ordered.
Please do post when you get them. Very interested, seems lower cost than Renntech and few pounds lighter. The renntechs are ~20lbs each and carbon is ~13 each according to online specs. Around 30lbs weight difference right there between renntech and the carbons.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:34 AM

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts
2019 GLC 63 SUV, 2013 SLK55
How do you fix curb rash or other damage to carbon fiber wheels? Easy enough for metal wheels, there is a shop here I've used many times. Is it even possible with carbon fiber?
Old 10-08-2016, 04:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by Stereolab42
How do you fix curb rash or other damage to carbon fiber wheels? Easy enough for metal wheels, there is a shop here I've used many times. Is it even possible with carbon fiber?
You don't. Any damage equals a new wheel if you value your life!
Old 10-09-2016, 09:59 AM
AG6

13 GL550
I also intend to replace the stock brakes with a complete set of Stoptech calipers, full floating zinc plated rotors, and their braided lines. That will give me another 3-4 lbs of un-sprung weight reduction while also giving me far superior brakes.
What about carbon ceramic brakes?

Old 10-09-2016, 11:28 AM

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
2016 Mercedes S63 4matic sedan
That is awesome. It looks like you want to use the parts that I have been looking into (researching) for our 2016 S63 AMG 4matic. AMS Carbon intake with the replacement carbon cover, AMS tune, Weistec down pipe and test pipes, Weistec transmission pan. Eventually Weistec turbos, and the transmission stand alone (maybe). Eventually a built transmission. AMS does not have the carbon intake available yet, for the S class. I contacted them months ago. They said it would not work with the S class. I thought it would. Love reading about this stuff. Have fun.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 BS, 2011 SLS, 2014 CLS63-S
Totally off topic, but that is a perfectly spec'ed S63!! Nice.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:15 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by ced357
Totally off topic, but that is a perfectly spec'ed S63!! Nice.
very nice indeed
Old 10-11-2016, 11:49 PM

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
2016 Mercedes S63 4matic sedan
Thank you very much for the compliments. One day it will have some modifications done to it.