W212 AMG Discuss the W212 AMG's such as the E63

Airmatic malfunction; car pulls to right; airmatic sensor replaced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 04:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E63 AMG - W211 - 2007 - Flint Grey
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
I try to keep these titles "searchable" to add to the wealth of knowledge on this forum, so here goes:

Thanks to the excellent recommendation by guys like BerndV and others, got the Conti DWS's all around and the NVH is indeed so much better with very little compromised in dry/wet on performance. My fronts (stock tires) were basically bald and the rears were half way so I just replaced them all at once, I'm at 14,500 miles and had no major issues with wheels/tires or air-tragic (airmatic)

Before getting the continental tires, I initially brought the car in because it had a vibration over 50mph, in the steering, in the body of the car, and more pronounced when I would move the steering left or right such as in a lane change maneuver. The checked rims, no bends/cracks (I have the wheel tire protection), said the fronts needed replacement but that the rears which were fine (tires and rims) needed re-balancing. No issues at that time with my suspension that I knew of.

They recommended an alignment with the change of all four tires, as I chose the conti's, and this made sense. When I got the car back, the vibration still seemed to be there a bit, but much better. And the car definitely pulled gradually to the right. Now this was NOT the road crown, and NOT normal for benz's to pull to the right (I read this a lot from some people on the forum, and this is incorrect, a benz should drive straight as an arrow when correctly aligned). I definitely became annoyed having to recorrect the car frequently to get it to stay in lane, and did NOT have any alignment or pulling issues whatsoever with the stock tires up to that moment that they needed to be replaced.

So I put it comfort suspension (I always drive in S+) and got "airmatic malfunction" which I thought was odd but seemingly unrelated. The suspension felt fine and the cars height seemed symmetric and normal for the S+ that I always drive in, yet it wouldn't switch to S or C suspension setting. I restarted the car and didn't try any more airmatic switching as i didn't want to be stranded and brought it in again.

After three days, they found the problem to be an airmatic sensor that wasn't reading correctly, and they noted the pull to the right immediately. They checked the alignment specs and data and it all seemed to be done perfectly so they replaced the sensor and the car drove straight again, and I concur -- it's back to driving totally normal, straight, and no vibrations.

Just and FYI to anyone out there getting something similar. Not sure if an airmatic sensor got damaged during tire replacement, but it was ironic that the suspension malfunctioned and caused the pull to the right immediately after I had the tires replaced.

Cheers
This happened to me, exact same issues as stated on my 07 E63, turned out to be a broken air pressure relief valve sensor hose. Cut off the tip of the broken rubber end and reinserted it, problems gone. Car tracks straight, raises and lowers properly, and no more warning lights!
Old 08-08-2019, 08:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2014 E63S and 2016 GLC300 (wife's)
Interesting.. I got rear brake pads replaced yesterday on my 2014 E63S and I noticed a slight pull yesterday when I was driving home then I ended up getting the same 'Malfunction' light you got on my way to work this morning.. Hopefully its just a sensor!
Old 10-16-2019, 07:57 AM

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
'09 C63 AMG
My car pulls slightly to the right also. It's intermittent. Sometimes I have to hold significant pressure on the wheel to go straight. Other times I can let go of the wheel completely for a quarter mile and it will stay in the lane (perfectly dead-flat surface). When the pull is happening, it happens on roads that are crowned, roads that are not crowned, and roads that are crowned the other way. The alignment is well-within spec all around, and I've swapped both front and rear tires from side to side to no effect.

I was starting to suspect a rear airmatic issue. I have no failure messages. The car is lowered with adjustable height sensor links in the rear. I'm going to start measuring the rear ride height on each side when the problem occurs, and see if the right side is sitting lower when it's pulling. Hopefully fixing mine is just a matter of tweaking the sensor arm adjustment a little.
Old 03-08-2022, 03:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W212
Originally Posted by AMGSIXTHREE
My car pulls slightly to the right also. It's intermittent. Sometimes I have to hold significant pressure on the wheel to go straight. Other times I can let go of the wheel completely for a quarter mile and it will stay in the lane (perfectly dead-flat surface). When the pull is happening, it happens on roads that are crowned, roads that are not crowned, and roads that are crowned the other way. The alignment is well-within spec all around, and I've swapped both front and rear tires from side to side to no effect.

I was starting to suspect a rear airmatic issue. I have no failure messages. The car is lowered with adjustable height sensor links in the rear. I'm going to start measuring the rear ride height on each side when the problem occurs, and see if the right side is sitting lower when it's pulling. Hopefully fixing mine is just a matter of tweaking the sensor arm adjustment a little.
I am having similiar issues with my Airmatic. Mine is lowered as well with links. Pulling to the right, but it is intermittent. Took it to the dealer for an alignment to sort it out. Alignment within spec but the problem remains. Now I am also suspecting something wrong with one of the rear axle level sensors as the problem is intermittent. With a scanner I am able to get readings from all four of the level sensors and the vehicle will rise and lower equally from all of the corners. No dropping overnight or anything like that, so I am not suspecting a leak would have anything to do with this.

Has @AMGSIXTHREE or anyone with this issue been able to locate the source of the problem?

Thank you for help, it is appreciated.
Old 09-27-2022, 06:28 PM

Received 120 Likes on 86 Posts
E63 AMG
I try to keep these titles "searchable" to add to the wealth of knowledge on this forum, so here goes:

Thanks to the excellent recommendation by guys like BerndV and others, got the Conti DWS's all around and the NVH is indeed so much better with very little compromised in dry/wet on performance. My fronts (stock tires) were basically bald and the rears were half way so I just replaced them all at once, I'm at 14,500 miles and had no major issues with wheels/tires or air-tragic (airmatic)

Before getting the continental tires, I initially brought the car in because it had a vibration over 50mph, in the steering, in the body of the car, and more pronounced when I would move the steering left or right such as in a lane change maneuver. The checked rims, no bends/cracks (I have the wheel tire protection), said the fronts needed replacement but that the rears which were fine (tires and rims) needed re-balancing. No issues at that time with my suspension that I knew of.

They recommended an alignment with the change of all four tires, as I chose the conti's, and this made sense. When I got the car back, the vibration still seemed to be there a bit, but much better. And the car definitely pulled gradually to the right. Now this was NOT the road crown, and NOT normal for benz's to pull to the right (I read this a lot from some people on the forum, and this is incorrect, a benz should drive straight as an arrow when correctly aligned). I definitely became annoyed having to recorrect the car frequently to get it to stay in lane, and did NOT have any alignment or pulling issues whatsoever with the stock tires up to that moment that they needed to be replaced.

So I put it comfort suspension (I always drive in S+) and got "airmatic malfunction" which I thought was odd but seemingly unrelated. The suspension felt fine and the cars height seemed symmetric and normal for the S+ that I always drive in, yet it wouldn't switch to S or C suspension setting. I restarted the car and didn't try any more airmatic switching as i didn't want to be stranded and brought it in again.

After three days, they found the problem to be an airmatic sensor that wasn't reading correctly, and they noted the pull to the right immediately. They checked the alignment specs and data and it all seemed to be done perfectly so they replaced the sensor and the car drove straight again, and I concur -- it's back to driving totally normal, straight, and no vibrations.

Just and FYI to anyone out there getting something similar. Not sure if an airmatic sensor got damaged during tire replacement, but it was ironic that the suspension malfunctioned and caused the pull to the right immediately after I had the tires replaced.

Cheers
I take it it was one of the rear sensors?
Old 09-27-2022, 07:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,196 Likes on 1,542 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by CZ 75
I take it it was one of the rear sensors?
yes sir!
Old 09-27-2022, 08:14 PM

E63 AMG
yes sir!
Ok, that’s prolly the issue mine is having. I didn’t get a chance to scan today(took the car to get it painted). Anyways, on the drive there the malfunction light didn’t come on. So something tells me it’s electronic related.
Old 09-28-2022, 12:04 AM

E63 AMG
Ok, that’s prolly the issue mine is having. I didn’t get a chance to scan today(took the car to get it painted). Anyways, on the drive there the malfunction light didn’t come on. So something tells me it’s electronic related.
Oh and guess what else. Car does pull to the right…

So would that be a sensor on the left or rear?
Old 09-28-2022, 12:34 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,196 Likes on 1,542 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Oh and guess what else. Car does pull to the right…

So would that be a sensor on the left or rear?
right rear sensor for me
Old 09-28-2022, 01:14 AM

E63 AMG
right rear sensor for me
Man I bet that’s my issue. Good thing it’s inexpensive and easy to replace. The vehicle did sustain some minor damage to the rear quarter and wheel. The fact that the issue is intermittent and my steering pulls right tells me that. Otherwise the vehicle drives straight and like today, the light didn’t come on.