Sponsored by:

Those with Tunes Be Careful...My Story with MB

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 10:02 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
haha, I do because it's so damn small......but I'm married so it doesn't matter LOL, not to mention our cars have 550/591
Old 10-01-2016, 10:07 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
'72 Fleedwoot
Just sell your car private party. This will always yield thousands more than dealer trade-in and plenty enough to cover the tax difference.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:14 AM

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by hyperion667
this is really good info, back when I fist got my cls guys were saying.....yeah tune it, open it up, bring it to life etc.........
but I always thought otherwise......glad I never did because.......why? a few extra horses? bigger *****? etc
why cls and not kia ? it might be ***** for you and life style for others
Old 10-01-2016, 11:23 AM

Received 110 Likes on 95 Posts
2018 E63S
OP, thanks for sharing your story, and hope you enjoy your C63. Drove it; certainly a beast.

Agree with everyone here...tuning (or not) is a personal choice. If you're OK with the potential of having to pay for some things to extract some additional performance, go for it. If not, don't do it. Either way, this car is a blast. Enjoy your toy.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:25 AM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Fairbird
why cls and not kia ? it might be ***** for you and life style for others
LOL, K K K Kia!

yes, point taken
Old 10-01-2016, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Call me a cynic, but what prevented the MB dealer in the OP from just saying they needed to buy a new ECU? They charge the customer, flash the old ECU back to stock and pocket the extra $1K.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:19 PM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by TMC M5
Call me a cynic, but what prevented the MB dealer in the OP from just saying they needed to buy a new ECU? They charge the customer, flash the old ECU back to stock and pocket the extra $1K.
I think the dealership couldn't come right out and tell a customer that for $1K they would remove the flag notification on the vehicle. That could technically be called extortion. So they offered the customer an option, buy a new ECU at wholesale cost, and they would remove the flag notification from the MB system as part of the transaction. That way both parties ended up getting what they wanted. OP got the onerous flag removed from his vehicle, which saved him thousands of dollars and the MB dealership, which was under no obligation to do anything, picked up a easy $1K profit while also helping out the customer who was in a bind. As OP already stated, this solution actually saved him a lot in potential lost dollars and a lot of needless aggravation trying to unload a flagged vehicle.

I agree with you that it might be possible that the MB dealership might have opted to re-install the old ECU back into the vehicle after the transaction was completed and then simply off-loaded to the car to a third-party reseller in "as is" condition, while putting the new ECU back into stock. I guess anything is possible, but I would think MB corporate would have a record of what ECU serial number is installed in a vehicle when a replacement unit is ordered. Maybe I'm wrong on that aspect of how MB tracks their parts to dealerships. Anyway, this was an interesting thread with some good info.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:23 AM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
W212 E550 4M P2
For me, the rub with the Magnusson Act is the dealer has what we want. Therefore they have the power by default. I'm confident that a tune can't cause everything to go south, but it's too easy easy for the dealer to broadly refuse warranty service and leave us holding the bag. We can fight it, but most of us don't have access / patience to go up against a dealer who may be misinformed, passive aggressive or acting as a gatekeeper for the auto MFG.
The following users liked this post:
enk007 (01-19-2017)
Old 10-02-2016, 12:48 PM

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
ED1 e63S
Originally Posted by PaulE550
I think the dealership couldn't come right out and tell a customer that for $1K they would remove the flag notification on the vehicle. That could technically be called extortion. So they offered the customer an option, buy a new ECU at wholesale cost, and they would remove the flag notification from the MB system as part of the transaction. That way both parties ended up getting what they wanted. OP got the onerous flag removed from his vehicle, which saved him thousands of dollars and the MB dealership, which was under no obligation to do anything, picked up a easy $1K profit while also helping out the customer who was in a bind. As OP already stated, this solution actually saved him a lot in potential lost dollars and a lot of needless aggravation trying to unload a flagged vehicle.

I agree with you that it might be possible that the MB dealership might have opted to re-install the old ECU back into the vehicle after the transaction was completed and then simply off-loaded to the car to a third-party reseller in "as is" condition, while putting the new ECU back into stock. I guess anything is possible, but I would think MB corporate would have a record of what ECU serial number is installed in a vehicle when a replacement unit is ordered. Maybe I'm wrong on that aspect of how MB tracks their parts to dealerships. Anyway, this was an interesting thread with some good info.
Correct, great post. Thank you!
Old 10-02-2016, 12:55 PM

ED1 e63S
Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
For me, the rub with the Magnusson Act is the dealer has what we want. Therefore they have the power by default. I'm confident that a tune can't cause everything to go south, but it's too easy easy for the dealer to broadly refuse warranty service and leave us holding the bag. We can fight it, but most of us don't have access / patience to go up against a dealer who may be misinformed, passive aggressive or acting as a gatekeeper for the auto MFG.
Just to be clear because this keeps coming up in this thread, this has absolutely nothing to do with warranty. My cars CPO warranty had already run out back in May of this year. This is about having a car flagged which most do not know that if traded in back to an MB dealer can cause you the exact problems I experienced and completely jeopardize a deal by them refusing to take the car as a trade which means you have to private party it or dump it at Car Max which likely means you stand to lose money from it.

To the poster who said private party the car, this is simply not an option for me if I wanted this ED 1 C63. For one, used C63's are extremely rare, as of last week only 28 in the entire country. 2 in my entire state, of which I'm buying from half way across the state. Additionally, given the mods to my car it would make it more difficult to PP. Plus I'd have to deal with meeting people to show them the car, pay to list it, take time to photograph it, deal with tire kickers, a chance I would be without a car if it sold until I found the new car, etc. I put the full amount of my trade down on the C63 and it's not like I'm liquid enough to just write a check for that not having sold my car yet if I wanted to get this particular car. I could go on and on but all that headache for $1k? No brainer to me.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by OrientBlue3
Just to be clear because this keeps coming up in this thread, this has absolutely nothing to do with warranty. My cars CPO warranty had already run out back in May of this year. This is about having a car flagged which most do not know that if traded in back to an MB dealer can cause you the exact problems I experienced and completely jeopardize a deal by them refusing to take the car as a trade which means you have to private party it or dump it at Car Max which likely means you stand to lose money from it.

To the poster who said private party the car, this is simply not an option for me if I wanted this ED 1 C63. For one, used C63's are extremely rare, as of last week only 28 in the entire country. 2 in my entire state, of which I'm buying from half way across the state. Additionally, given the mods to my car it would make it more difficult to PP. Plus I'd have to deal with meeting people to show them the car, pay to list it, take time to photograph it, deal with tire kickers, a chance I would be without a car if it sold until I found the new car, etc. I put the full amount of my trade down on the C63 and it's not like I'm liquid enough to just write a check for that not having sold my car yet if I wanted to get this particular car. I could go on and on but all that headache for $1k? No brainer to me.
I hope you didn't think I was implying that you did anything "wrong" or that your story was in any way a distortion of what the dealer told you. I just don't trust dealers. For $1k I would have done the same thing. Although I can't believe the dealer can resolve this issue without going through tons of red tape with MB USA involvement. That is why I think the dealer was playing games.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:45 PM

ED1 e63S
Originally Posted by TMC M5
I hope you didn't think I was implying that you did anything "wrong" or that your story was in any way a distortion of what the dealer told you. I just don't trust dealers. For $1k I would have done the same thing. Although I can't believe the dealer can resolve this issue without going through tons of red tape with MB USA involvement. That is why I think the dealer was playing games.
The dealer was able to obtain this agreement from MB, it wasn't the dealer holding me hostage or anything like this. The dealer helped bail me out. Yes, they pocketed $1k as a result (actually my local dealership secured this and the dealer I traded the car in to agreed to do the actual work) so technically it was a win win for all parties given my other options.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:23 AM

ED1 e63S
Just an update on Renntech tuning I wanted to share. My shop foreman at my dealership who does not sell Renntech spoke with MB corporate and they will not cover any repairs as a result of engine damage based on a tune. The dealers that sell Renntech and claim "warranty coverage" for the tune are doing so on their own dime. Given that I do not have an MB dealer in my area that sells Renntech, I'm going to keep my C63 S stock for now.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:32 AM

C300
Don't be scared , go for it , but don't tell them you have it tuned , preferably get second ECU . it's only money , you got C63 , enjoy it even more .
Old 10-05-2016, 02:54 PM
MBWorld God!

2012 CLS63
^uh, yeah.............
Old 10-05-2016, 04:10 PM

ED1 e63S
Originally Posted by Fairbird
Don't be scared , go for it , but don't tell them you have it tuned , preferably get second ECU . it's only money , you got C63 , enjoy it even more .
C63 is slow compared to my CLS. Lol. Also, I have yet to see anyone successfully and more importantly openly get a 2nd ECU for any of these cars W212 or W205 included. Some people in Germany claim to have some sort of hookup but nothing any dealer will do publicly.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:27 PM

2015 E550 Coupe
C63 is slow compared to my CLS. Lol. Also, I have yet to see anyone successfully and more importantly openly get a 2nd ECU for any of these cars W212 or W205 included. Some people in Germany claim to have some sort of hookup but nothing any dealer will do publicly.
So you're saying that if you went to your local MB dealership service department and said you wanted to order (buy) a second ECU for your car, that they would actually refuse to do so? Interesting info. First car company I have ever heard of that would refuse to sell you any car parts you're willing to pay full price for. What did the dealer's parts department tell you was the reason they wouldn't or couldn't order a second ECU for you?
Old 10-05-2016, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
So you're saying that if you went to your local MB dealership service department and said you wanted to order (buy) a second ECU for your car, that they would actually refuse to do so? Interesting info. First car company I have ever heard of that would refuse to sell you any car parts you're willing to pay full price for. What did the dealer's parts department tell you was the reason they wouldn't or couldn't order a second ECU for you?
According to Shardul (UPD) all ECUs need to be tied to a VIN and proof of a bad ECU to transfer to a new ECU is required (something like that )
Old 10-05-2016, 05:03 PM

C300
I have 2 ecu w212 , nov 2014 .
Old 10-05-2016, 05:05 PM

C300
Originally Posted by kponti
According to Shardul (UPD) all ECUs need to be tied to a VIN and proof of a bad ECU to transfer to a new ECU is required (something like that )
there is a ways out there , but correct
Old 10-05-2016, 05:06 PM

2015 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by kponti
OK thanks. Makes perfect sense and I learned something new about how far MB is going to try and prevent modding of their vehicles.

I already knew that the replacement ECU had to be programmed by MB to work with the specific VIN number vehicle. But I didn't realize that MB kept such tight inventory control of their ECU's that they required both a return of the original ECU from the same vehicle, as well as proof that the ECU being returned was already officially flagged in their service system as being bad. That would pretty much ensure that no one could buy a new second ECU for quick swap out purposes.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:21 PM

ED1 e63S
OK thanks. Makes perfect sense and I learned something new about how far MB is going to try and prevent modding of their vehicles.

I already knew that the replacement ECU had to be programmed by MB to work with the specific VIN number vehicle. But I didn't realize that MB kept such tight inventory control of their ECU's that they required both a return of the original ECU from the same vehicle, as well as proof that the ECU being returned was already officially flagged in their service system as being bad. That would pretty much ensure that no one could buy a new second ECU for quick swap out purposes.
Exactly. Thanks to the boys for answering before I was able to get back to you. They use your existing ECU and transfer the data to the new, when doing this it supposedly erases the data on the old ECU rendering it useless.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:48 PM

C300
One car can have 2 Ecu's end of story . Doesn't matter what MB is trying to accomplish .
Old 10-05-2016, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
993, 2014 E63 Wagon
Thanks for sharing, but it seems rather obvious to me. You can't expect a dealer to take your car if you've tuned the ECU. That's simply expecting too much.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Exactly. Thanks to the boys for answering before I was able to get back to you. They use your existing ECU and transfer the data to the new, when doing this it supposedly erases the data on the old ECU rendering it useless.
Not exactly accurate. These cars can run 2 ECUs. The original needs to be copied which has nothing to do with erasing it for the second to work.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Those with Tunes Be Careful...My Story with MB