Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strut bearing groaning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 04:36 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 CLS 63 S AMG / 2004 E55 AMG
I had virtually the same experience with my 218 63S. They had the car off and on for a total of 3 weeks and replaced both struts and both top bearings before solving it. It was very annoying. The solution was silly; greased the top of the struts and the new strut bearings...

I later pulled the struts to install lowering springs and noticed that the dust cover (rubber) fits into a top strut cover (rubber) fairly tightly. That's one spot where they applied the grease. I'm not sure how much (if any) that this contributes to the noise at all, but I added extra grease to make sure.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Originally Posted by vdubpower
got my car back, they listened to me, after two weeks, fixed the shims and bearings and omg no ****ning noise.........freaking tards
Vdub - i seem to have this same front left "groaning" issue as you did... can you share what the dealer actually fixed to correct the issue on your car?

I found the below info on another post in this same thread, but was not sure if this was the same fix as what you had with your issue. My groaning and clicking noise is left front and very noticeable when driving slow and the car is cold in mornings (Chicago i'm located, very cold now) and when turning to the left.... thx John

"38239 Right front strut upper pivot bearing and mount test drive vehicle in parking lot, find when wheel is turned back and forth there is noise from right front, use the chassis ears and find noise coming from top of strut, follow LI32.25-P-051645, apply grease between upper mount and dust boot, find noise still present, remove right front strut, disassemble the strut and inspect, find the upper pivot bearing is not smooth and leaking grease, install new upper mount and pivot bearing, reassemble strut, install strut in vehicle with new bolts and nuts, find noise no longer present"
Old 01-16-2017, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
thats what it was exactly what u posted...and others posted

my current issue is different....those detectives are still searching for answer