Sponsored by:

Who came directly from W210?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 09:46 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
E63s
Originally Posted by Amg63-
im gonna guess our car is probably 4-4.1 vs the audis 3.8 since in some cases you did win by 60.

I agree this car car shouldn't be anywhere in the 4 second range. I know they are making this a trade off to get the better rolling start performance in exchange as no torque converter gives lower drivetrain losses but I'd rather have a better launch...

hopefully soon someone can figure out a way to minimize the torque limits while still maintaining full reliability of the MCT.
My friend has a 2016 S3 and a APR stage 2 tuned golf R , I race him all the time and destroy him everytime and I'm bone stock just k&n filters , you can't use race start there is huge lag when you let go of the brake, sport traction on , sport+ on suspension on sport brake boost when rpm's start ramping up past 2 to 2.2 k let go of the brake and it launches hard , takes a little practice but works great , The problem with the S3 is that it's front wheel drive biased and when he launches he spins the tires. It's one of the things he hates about the car , I'm not sure if they can put a bias controller in like the GTR's
Old 04-07-2017, 11:52 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
1998 E320 Wagon, 2003 W211 E500, 2003 W211 E500, 1999 W210 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by BlownV8
Jay Leno has a silver '99 in his garage. He seems to like it too.
I recently acquired a silver '99 AMG...it's da kine.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:40 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,440 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
The real scam is how magazines and so called professional car testers are measuring 0-60 times
Old 04-08-2017, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by 10speed
My friend has a 2016 S3 and a APR stage 2 tuned golf R , I race him all the time and destroy him everytime and I'm bone stock just k&n filters , you can't use race start there is huge lag when you let go of the brake, sport traction on , sport+ on suspension on sport brake boost when rpm's start ramping up past 2 to 2.2 k let go of the brake and it launches hard , takes a little practice but works great , The problem with the S3 is that it's front wheel drive biased and when he launches he spins the tires. It's one of the things he hates about the car , I'm not sure if they can put a bias controller in like the GTR's
see with brake boost I've tested it a few times and sometimes it has that same annoying lag, and other times it launches perfect with no hesitation.

The fact is the results on launching this car are not consistent. Gaspam just said he raced s3 and usually loses, and your usually winning, the launching is just all over the place.

I just want to find find a way to launch without any kind of funny brake boosting. Did you ever race hitting the gas normally and win? Any way to make this method work better? I just want sub 4s 0-60 consistently...
Old 04-09-2017, 01:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Rarely but at times I've had great success with launch control ... does the system detect heat load and modified the launch based on that?
Old 04-09-2017, 01:57 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
E63s
see with brake boost I've tested it a few times and sometimes it has that same annoying lag, and other times it launches perfect with no hesitation.

The fact is the results on launching this car are not consistent. Gaspam just said he raced s3 and usually loses, and your usually winning, the launching is just all over the place.

I just want to find find a way to launch without any kind of funny brake boosting. Did you ever race hitting the gas normally and win? Any way to make this method work better? I just want sub 4s 0-60 consistently...
The car is a pain to launch I agree , but are you losing just 0-60 ? Are you pulling passed him?
Old 04-10-2017, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 AMG
After 60 it will pull ahead
Old 04-10-2017, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 899 Likes on 631 Posts
E63S | X5
Gaspam -- You and this lag are all over the place on the forum. Now, I fully understand what you are saying but I still have never got a good answer in return to the following questions...

You obviously know the car, you know your car, therefore you understand how it behaves. So what is the big deal when it comes to accommodating the drawbacks and planning ahead for it?

Such as if you're racing an RS7 at a traffic light you can usually see when the other light turns red and you have a split second until green. Why not just plan to hammer it on the red so by the time the green hits you're already moving? It's not like the RS7 driver can see what your feet are doing in the mean time.

Same thing goes with shifting. Our brains are smart and can process peripheral images so as you say that gauge climb in manual mode predict the shift where you want it.

Again, I'm not here arguing that your claims about these milliseconds of lag are non-existent. They are there... I just don't understand why you (we/all of us) can't just work with the car a little bit to reduce the small drawbacks.

I believe you're the one that has also been on top of making left turns and cars getting closer than you wanted to. Again, as that last car goes by you should already have your foot on the gas. Or, stop a little bit shorter of the intersection and as the car is approaching close the rest of the distance before initiating your left hand turn this way you're already rolling when it comes time to turn the wheel.

I need to actually drive an RS7 because I've already driven f10 m5's so I'll keep an eye out for an RS7 to pop up at a used dealer and get behind the wheel of one. Impressions of cars are 99% subjective and will vary driver to driver but in this thread along with all the others I just don't see why some compromise can't be found.

It's always x y and z suck about the E63 but I love this car.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Just as another little addition / afterthought:

What about going to the track for the 1/4 mile and see what kind of RT you can get. Don't worry about the 60 / 330 / 1/4. Just see what kind of RT you can get and what it takes to get a lower RT. Because in theory, if you're waiting for the light to turn green then hitting it you'll have a high RT. But that isn't the same as saying no matter what your RT will always be high because you can just left foot brake, right foot gas, even brake boost a little bit and on the second half of the last yellow then get it on for that low RT.

Anyway -- I understand what you're saying but I just have a really hard time with understanding why adjustments can't be made in your driving style to get the results you want.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
trust me i have tried (and so have many other people and still no low/mid 's for our cars)... and i am not the only one that experienced the lag at intersection as there was a 5 page long thread about it way before i found that thread

also planning ahead isnt going to improve 60ft times (M157 has been around 5 yrs and people still really cant break 1.7 = sad)

plus we should have to jerry-rig a 100k amg car.... the mct shouldnt pause before going... if amg couldnt get it right, they should of stuck with a trq converter..... meanwhile e55's w/ much less power/trq are faster.... I thought awd on an AMG torque monster would make it launch better than my rwd e55/c63... i was sorely wrong

you just came into this platform a few months ago and i get it, you're gun-ho about it at moment as i was same 2 yrs ago when i got mine.....2 yrs later, its a different story for me but maybe for you in 2 yrs you will still think its great or maybe you will start to get annoyed by its performance short-comings like me and few other members.... it is what it is, I just which there was a little more info/complaints about the lag before i bought the car

Last edited by gaspam; 04-10-2017 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 AMG
I really just wonder what is the real 0-60 the car is doing with taking into account the lag. I don't think it's a FULL second off the 0-60 (4.7s I highly doubt) it does once it starts moving, I'm guessing more like .5 seconds but I'd like to find out precisely. The lag is always the same amount of time so we just need to measure how much time it's adding on.

On a rwd car you have wheelspin to deal with, and I would guess in most cases this will slow you down more on the streets with street tires than the lag.

Are you saying the e55/c63 launches better on streets or on a prepped dragstrip?

i also came from a c63 which doesn't have the same problem but no way on city streets was it taking off and reaching 60 as fast as the e63s does with or without lag.

With that said, I agree the damn thing should not be hesitating at all. A torque converter would of likely solved this problem (RS7)
Old 04-10-2017, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Gas, you may be right, and again, I'm just trying to understand why we can't work with the car a little bit such as the intersection lag. I never have had a problem with that because I know what to expect out of the car and drive accordingly.

I'll try this year to show you that certain things can be done. Maybe I'll fail. But I still think that just tweaking small driving habits can make the difference here.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
Gas, you may be right, and again, I'm just trying to understand why we can't work with the car a little bit such as the intersection lag. I never have had a problem with that because I know what to expect out of the car and drive accordingly.

I'll try this year to show you that certain things can be done. Maybe I'll fail. But I still think that just tweaking small driving habits can make the difference here.
the intersection thing honestly isnt a big gripe to me as i've worked around it. for me its more the lag/bogging that drives me nuts.... we should have neck snapping launch with 700+ wtrq.... after 15mph it plants you in your seat, but should be doing it from 0 mph
Old 04-10-2017, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Are you saying the e55/c63 launches better on streets or on a prepped dragstrip?
both if you have the right tires (toyo r888s or better)
Old 04-10-2017, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by gaspam
both if you have the right tires (toyo r888s or better)
ok, do you know the answer to the below question or know if any measuring tool that will work to take the lag into account for the real 0-60 time we are getting? I'm just curious to know what it REALLY is as opposed to what the tools are showing us.

"I really just wonder what is the real 0-60 the car is doing with taking into account the lag. I don't think it's a FULL second off the 0-60 (4.7s I highly doubt) it does once it starts moving, I'm guessing more like .5 seconds but I'd like to find out precisely. The lag is always the same amount of time so we just need to measure how much time it's adding on."
Old 04-10-2017, 11:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

I've had the car 3 years since new in 2014 and actuall have accommodated most of this purple heart and really enjoy the car

the sprintbooster and my foot-brain connection made this car so much better

I hear what gaspam is saying and I understand his frustrations as I had them too