Super Charger, NOS, or Both?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 08:38 PM
Banned

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
2017 W222 AMG S63 Sedan.
Originally Posted by chiromikey
Biturbo definitely doesn't have more tuning options...
More HP/TQ boost coming from Biturbo tuners.
Old 05-21-2017, 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by AMGNEEDSPEED
Maybe so but we've got a basic tune so far and that's it. DPs haven't shown enough gains to significantly differentiate between stage 1 and stage 2 and besides a few one off GAD cars, upgraded turbos are dyno queens only. We can't even have a second race gas tune without a second ECU...
Old 05-21-2017, 09:19 AM
Banned

2017 W222 AMG S63 Sedan.
Maybe so but we've got a basic tune so far and that's it. DPs haven't shown enough gains to significantly differentiate between stage 1 and stage 2 and besides a few one off GAD cars, upgraded turbos are dyno queens only. We can't even have a second race gas tune without a second ECU...
True, but I still think the Biturbo will result in the best for bang for the buck. GAD modded E63 are insane for daily drivers and having a 900+ hp on street gas will get you like 8 miles to the gallon?
Old 05-21-2017, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts
2014 E63s amg 4matic, 2009 C63, 2006 E55 AMG , 2001.5 AUDI S4 stg 3+ w/meth
last time i checked there are multiple M156 cars in the 9's and one that is knocking on the door of 8 sec 1/4 mile .... there are no M157 cars even close to that, so i would say M156 has a lot more effective tuning options at this point in time
Old 05-21-2017, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
CLS63 AMG
I think he meant tuning an m156 as opposed to an m157, not with adding FI to the m156 but tune only on both engines and m157 makes alot more hp/tq
Old 05-21-2017, 12:41 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 E63S Wagon, 2005 E500
Let's not get into a 156/157 pissing contest guys. The OP states he's worried about passing smog. Don't think 9second cars pass smog. Hahaha.
I don't even know if a M157 with a tune would pass .CA smog test. Does anyone know?
Old 05-21-2017, 12:50 PM
Banned

2017 W222 AMG S63 Sedan.
Yeah, I wasn't going to get into the debate about a 8 or 9 second cars and their tuning options because you really don't see 9 second car of any maker on the road, street legal or can even pass smog and still get some respectable gas milage.

if the OP was considering adding Nos to even be able to keep up with a biturbo tuned, I would rather play it safe of not running Nos for safety concerns and the fact it is a Mercedes and not a Honda Accord or Civic running Nos like Fast n Furious.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
I would rather play it safe of not running Nos for safety concerns and the fact it is a Mercedes and not a Honda Accord or Civic running Nos like Fast n Furious.
What does that have to do with anything?

If anything, if we're meant to believe that our Mercedes motors are 'built better' and the prestige is a hallmark of higher quality, running nitrous on a Mercedes (especially an AMG race engine for the road) would be safer than on a Honda Accord or Civic.

TBFH for the occasional drag race or moment of madness on the road at night time, nitrous would be a good option. The car will run NA for 99% of the time on the road and return normal fuel economy levels, yet at the flick of a switch (assuming he runs a safe 75/100hp hit) along with the usual headers + tune, it'll turn into a low 11 second car.
The following users liked this post:
gaspam (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 138 Posts
2015 E63s AMG, 2020 GLC 43 AMG
Originally Posted by Celicasaur
What does that have to do with anything?

If anything, if we're meant to believe that our Mercedes motors are 'built better' and the prestige is a hallmark of higher quality, running nitrous on a Mercedes (especially an AMG race engine for the road) would be safer than on a Honda Accord or Civic.

TBFH for the occasional drag race or moment of madness on the road at night time, nitrous would be a good option. The car will run NA for 99% of the time on the road and return normal fuel economy levels, yet at the flick of a switch (assuming he runs a safe 75/100hp hit) along with the usual headers + tune, it'll turn into a low 11 second car.
YES! Exactly what he said is my thinking in all of this consideration.

Getting less than 12 mpg around town now. If I go with a SC or something along those lines I will be getting like 9 mpg all the time. With a well installed safe wet setup I sort of get the best of all worlds.

And BTW, I did mention in my original post that I considered upgrading to the TT newer version. I stated the reasons why this wasn't the best choice for myself.

With all that said, WHEN THE HELL WILL NO GAS EVEN BE AVAILABLE AGAIN? Ugh
Old 05-23-2017, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
Originally Posted by Vrodman
Getting less than 12 mpg around town now. If I go with a SC or something along those lines I will be getting like 9 mpg all the time. With a well installed safe wet setup I sort of get the best of all worlds.
I drove a tuned E55 recently...180mm pulley and tune. Yes the torque was insane and the drive was fun, but even if i tried to baby it, it was returning 18mpg n the highway and 10mpg around town.....compared to my (granted, much slower) 6.2 motor that returns 25mpg on the same highway run and 15-16mpg around town.

And BTW, I did mention in my original post that I considered upgrading to the TT newer version. I stated the reasons why this wasn't the best choice for myself.
Last autumn i was almost gonna pull the trigger on a 2012 E63, but I did everything I could to avoid making the switch up. In the end I got my car tuned with headers and while it's probably still only just about making stock M157 power, it keeps me entertained with the sound track.

Both great cars, just depends what you're looking for tbh. I'm not a turbo guy, hence my preference to have the slower, but more charismatic M156.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

...compared to my (granted, much slower) 6.2 motor that returns 25mpg on the same highway run and 15-16mpg around town.
Please do tell how you are getting these types of numbers. Even if I baby the car around town in C mode I wont get better than about 13.5. My best hwy mpg on trip so far has been 19.4 (although I did still step on it here and there. get around the dummies in the fast lane doing 64).

Even before the Eurocharge V5 tune I didn't get the kind of numbers you stated.

I do know nothing is wrong with the car. It fully functions, runs fast, and idles smooth. Also well kept. I even have ROW airboxes with high-flow filters which should help the mpg's too.

Also, when I am in hell traffic for any length of time, I drop down to 10.1 mpg's. These beasts really do not like to stop and start in bumper to bumper.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
Ouch....ouch....10.1!? I'm not sure if I've ever seen that, nor do I ever want to!

I posted in this thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...63-a-2.html#30

And then check out the pic I posted in #45. It's pretty much the same story before/after the tune.

My guess is your lambda's might need replacing. Either that or MAFs. Your figures aren't entirely what they should be IMO.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ouch....ouch....10.1!? I'm not sure if I've ever seen that, nor do I ever want to!

I posted in this thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...63-a-2.html#30

And then check out the pic I posted in #45. It's pretty much the same story before/after the tune.

My guess is your lambda's might need replacing. Either that or MAFs. Your figures aren't entirely what they should be IMO.
Not the MAF's. Those were replaced new with new ROW boxes. No difference in MPG before and after.

Help me out. WTH are Lamda's? My engineering brain goes to wavelength when I hear this Greek! lol

Also, Those dash pics of mileage are insane. I will never come close in this car. I noticed the one window EPA sticker showed numbers very close to mine. Also, when I first got the car, I posted questions on mileage after initial shock. I was generally hearing that I was not far off. The numbers in that other thread seem like the outliers. They were E63's right? Not a lighter C63?

Cheers
Old 05-24-2017, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not the MAF's. Those were replaced new with new ROW boxes. No difference in MPG before and after.

Help me out. WTH are Lamda's? My engineering brain goes to wavelength when I hear this Greek! lol

Also, Those dash pics of mileage are insane. I will never come close in this car. I noticed the one window EPA sticker showed numbers very close to mine. Also, when I first got the car, I posted questions on mileage after initial shock. I was generally hearing that I was not far off. The numbers in that other thread seem like the outliers. They were E63's right? Not a lighter C63?

Cheers
Lamba sensor= O2 sensor

although I had an M156 before and you're MPG's are inline with what i used to get so i dont think yours are off

since Celicasaur appears to be in UK, might just be that he gets better mpg as he might not get to go WOT as much as we are used to.... but since you are saying "cheers" then you might be in UK too and that would shoot that theory down

he might just drive more conservatively than you/me hell, even in my M157 i get like 11 city and 19 hwy, which just goes to show how much driving style can affect your mpgs, since M157 is supposed to be more fuel efficient than M156 but i still get crappy mpg as i find myself going WOT more in M157 since awd allows me to do it in more situations than my M156 did

Last edited by gaspam; 05-24-2017 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by gaspam
Lamba sensor= O2 sensor

although I had an M156 before and you're MPG's are inline with what i used to get so i dont think yours are off

since Celicasaur appears to be in UK, might just be that he gets better mpg as he might not get to go WOT.... but since you are saying "cheers" then you might be in UK too and that would shoot that theory down

he might just drive more conservatively than you/me hell, even in my M157 i get like 11 city and 19 hwy, which just goes to show how much driving style can affect your mpgs, since M157 is supposed to be more fuel efficient than M156 but i still get crappy mpg as i find myself going WOT more in M157 since awd allows me to do it in more situations than my M156 did
Ah, that sounds about right then.

And no, I am from, and live in, NorCal. We just use Cheers a lot here.

Thanks for helping me get my sanity back.
gaspam (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Ok, now can we stop talking about mpg in a power adder thread!
gaspam (05-24-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 07:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
Just lastly (sorry guys) it's possible that my fuel might be of a better composition (Shell V Power, 98RON) and yeah if I'm seeing 26MPG i'm driving sensibly among loads of cars on the road during the daytime. At night time, sitting around 120-130 with occasional WOT bursts (4th...maaaaaybe 5th gear on occasion), it'll return around 19MPG on the same trip.

I'll zip it now

Getting back on topic, you guys are making me want to run a damn wet hit now. Just a 50hp hit tbh as I wouldn't want to pull any timing and compromise my normal engine running tune. If anything, 1 step colder plugs will be sufficient. What I'm not entirely thrilled about is how restrictive the M156 intake design is - there are loads of obstacles and things to hit as the mixture flys through the air. I suppose even if the mixture wasn't ideal, at 50hp spread over 8 cylinders....it's not likely to melt anything or even come close.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:33 PM

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 E63 S
One other possibility, I suspect that MPG in the UK is based upon imperial gallons, not US gallons, which makes a 20% difference.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:11 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
2014 E63 Wagon
Wait wait...but have you tried hypermiling with your 500 hp sedan? I've found if I tape over the headlights and tailgate heavily I can see upwards of 30 MPG!!!!

To be honest, the biggest commonality between the mileage talk and the power talk in this thread is "are you using the wrong car for your goals?"

Just an added opinion, I think that people's willingness to repurchase a car with added forced induction or NOS goes wayyyyy down. So unless you plan on driving this thing until the wheels fall off (or a connecting rod is thrown through the block) then I would avoid those kinds of mods.

You're going to spend thousands in labor and parts to remove thousands off resale price. All said and done, talking the wife into the car upgrade seems like an easier bet in my mind since keeping it street legal modding should equal similar actual performance to just a getting a newer car in the first place.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ajs76

Just an added opinion, I think that people's willingness to repurchase a car with added forced induction or NOS goes wayyyyy down. .
while this is true, with the nitrous its easy to revert to stock since you can just replace intake cheaply (its not like he is going to go individual port injection for a small 100 shot)...

for s/c is easy to revert as well (though more costly if you dont do the wrenching)... just keep all stock parts removed during s/c install and then when wants to sell car, remove s/c (sell it) and put stock parts back on
Old 05-26-2017, 05:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W212 - E63 AMG
Originally Posted by HPMan
One other possibility, I suspect that MPG in the UK is based upon imperial gallons, not US gallons, which makes a 20% difference.
I have no idea....could be...?

Wait wait...but have you tried hypermiling with your 500 hp sedan? I've found if I tape over the headlights and tailgate heavily I can see upwards of 30 MPG!!!!

To be honest, the biggest commonality between the mileage talk and the power talk in this thread is "are you using the wrong car for your goals?"
I'm confused....is there anything wrong with being happy that the car is able to show some love back and return a reasonable fuel economy when doing long distance driving?

If I'm driving in the daytime amongst other cars in this tiny, congested country that I live it - I don't see a problem with adhering to the speed limit and driving conservatively. If I'm driving in boring mode, I think it's great that the car can return mid-20s in the MPG stakes. it means I'll have more money for mods and maintenance.

You're going to spend thousands in labor and parts to remove thousands off resale price. All said and done, talking the wife into the car upgrade seems like an easier bet in my mind since keeping it street legal modding should equal similar actual performance to just a getting a newer car in the first place.
I think I would have to agree in the sense that - if one is likely to be happy with a 650/700hp daily W212, then a box tuned M157 car would be the easiest, most simplest route to goal. If if course, one insists on staying with the M156, then....other avenues will need to be explored.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

how about nitrous and s/c like this guy is doing ? definitely will have to forget about MPG, but man this would be fun!

Old 05-26-2017, 01:45 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
2014 E63 Wagon
I have no idea....could be...?

I'm confused....is there anything wrong with being happy that the car is able to show some love back and return a reasonable fuel economy when doing long distance driving?

If I'm driving in the daytime amongst other cars in this tiny, congested country that I live it - I don't see a problem with adhering to the speed limit and driving conservatively. If I'm driving in boring mode, I think it's great that the car can return mid-20s in the MPG stakes. it means I'll have more money for mods and maintenance.
Ha, no man...I'm happy to save gas for a boring commute. I'm just laughing because the thread went from "I want MOAR POWAR" to everyone talking about gas mileage.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by gaspam
how about nitrous and s/c like this guy is doing ? definitely will have to forget about MPG, but man this would be fun!

HOLY SH*T* !!!!

This dude is having some serious fun. I actually have a coworker with a 2013 Challenger that he just rebuilt entire motor with new block even. He has an insane SC and is getting 705 WHP! He is now looking at adding the NO on top too. Crazy amount fun. I can tell you that he is not worried a lot about mpg's. lol
Old 05-27-2017, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

^ yeah no doubt will be fun and fast... there is already one other M156 running similar setup (s/c + 100 shot) and he's running 9.7 @ 144 and also running 185 in the 1/2 which is hauling! (for reference that M5 that broke into 9.9 @140 runs the 1/2 at 170mph)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Super Charger, NOS, or Both?