Sponsored by:

2014-2016 E63 - Open Diff to LSD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E46 M3
2014-2016 E63 - Open Diff to LSD

First post, so please be gentle. I already did a search, but didn't find any responsive threads. I'm looking to get into a Merc for the first time. I've been monitoring prices of 2014 E63s and E63 Ss (Damn that is weird). There appears to be about a 10k difference in price. I can find a good E63 for low 50s and a good E63 S for right at 61k, sticking around 30k miles.

I plan on putting on a downpipe and tune as soon as I straighten out warranty repairs on the new (used) car, so the "S" doesn't matter much to me, outside the LSD. LSD is a requirement for me, so the choice between an E63 and an E63 S really comes down to the issue of swapping in a LSD into a non-S.

After a fair amount of research, it seems that the cost of swapping an E63 S LSD with an aftermarket LSD is about 2.5-3K installed. BUT, I haven't seen any threads regarding swapping an open diff to a LSD on these cars, any traction control/computer issues that might ensue, and additional costs such as trans-axle issues. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Once you get your tune ... drive it and decide if the awd is good enough and do you even need the LSD??
Old 05-18-2017, 02:32 PM

E46 M3
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Once you get your tune ... drive it and decide if the awd is good enough and do you even need the LSD??
I haven't bought a S or non-S.... you're assuming I already have a non-s. Trying to get an answer to my question so I can evaluate the choice a little more. So for example: If it's going to cost 5k to install and there may be some traction control issues on a non-S, getting an S with an LSD out of the box makes up for the initial price difference.

Last edited by AMGEZUS; 05-18-2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Let me ask this, why is LSD a requirement for you?
Old 05-18-2017, 02:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by AMGEZUS
I haven't bought a S or non-S.... you're assuming I already have a non-s. Trying to get an answer to my question so I can evaluate the choice a little more. So for example: If it's going to cost 5k to install and there may be some traction control issues on a non-S, getting an S with an LSD out of the box makes up for the initial price difference.
sorry to bother you
Old 05-18-2017, 02:48 PM

E46 M3
Originally Posted by chiromikey
Let me ask this, why is LSD a requirement for you?
Snow + Light Track
Old 05-18-2017, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Track use (road course) might be the only reason to have to have an LSD and if that's the case an aftermarket product is likely the better choice anyways. But if you've never driven an AMG, their "open" diff might surprise you. It's not a true open diff that only sends power to one wheel. I've never had my E63 non S not put power down to both wheels on the around corners or at the drag strip and I saw ZERO difference on the street or the track in my E55 when I swapped in an aftermarket LSD. However, I was able to swap the diff for under $2k and I'd doubt the E63 would be any different.
The following users liked this post:
AMGEZUS (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 03:21 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
2014 E63 Wagon
I have a tuned non-S model and I can't break traction in the wet much less the dry. To be fair, it's a wagon though.

I'd say try it for a season with snow tires and hit the track and see how it does.
I rocked an e36 m3 in the snow for many years and with the right tires it was solid.

You're not really going to be pulling insane lap times in this thing anyway...I think that the excessive weight and brakes will let you down before the traction does.

I wouldn't place a premium on the S model personally.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:36 PM

E46 M3
Originally Posted by chiromikey
Track use (road course) might be the only reason to have to have an LSD and if that's the case an aftermarket product is likely the better choice anyways. But if you've never driven an AMG, their "open" diff might surprise you. It's not a true open diff that only sends power to one wheel. I've never had my E63 non S not put power down to both wheels on the around corners or at the drag strip and I saw ZERO difference on the street or the track in my E55 when I swapped in an aftermarket LSD.
Any issues in snow? Going to be running this in Colorado. I have an S4 as a DD and haven't really had issues with an open diff, but it's not in the same class as an E63 power. Really love my M3, which is track only. I've read pretty much every thread on here regarding open vs. lsd and it seems like there aren't very many "happy with my open diff" comments. Could just be that those people aren't voicing an opinion?
Old 05-18-2017, 03:38 PM

E46 M3
Originally Posted by ajs76
I have a tuned non-S model and I can't break traction in the wet much less the dry. To be fair, it's a wagon though.

I'd say try it for a season with snow tires and hit the track and see how it does.
I rocked an e36 m3 in the snow for many years and with the right tires it was solid.

You're not really going to be pulling insane lap times in this thing anyway...I think that the excessive weight and brakes will let you down before the traction does.

I wouldn't place a premium on the S model personally.
Thanks for the info! I'd just want to HPDE it one weekend to say I did, maybe a drag strip a couple times. This one would sub for my 2010 S4 as a DD. I tend to drive aggressively on the back roads.

Edit: I drove my e46 with blizzaks in the Midwest and it was great. Now with BBK + brake ducts, its a summer/track only car. Just a bit apprehensive going to canyon roads with real snow fall.

Last edited by AMGEZUS; 05-18-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:43 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
2014 E63 Wagon
Thanks for the info! I'd just want to HPDE it one weekend to say I did, maybe a drag strip a couple times. This one would sub for my 2010 S4 as a DD.
So I'll give you a few data points if it helps (I used to live in Denver)

1) I ran an e36 M3 with blizzaks and drove to the mountains every weekend with 0 issues
2) I ran my 911 turbo with an open diff and REALLY bad awd and even it was fine in the snow. Note...this had snow tires for sure
3) I have summer tires on my E63 and drove it in 6 inches of snow/slush to the airport in Seattle. It was a bit dicey, but it could make it up small hills etc. With proper tires (read...actual snows) I would be SHOCKED if this car wasn't good enough for you unless you live like on the top of an unpaved road in Gunnison or something.

This summer I might hit a HPDE as well because shoot, why not right? Getting a diff just for that event seemed crazy. My friend has tracked his non-S multiple times and passed a lot of pretty solid cars on the track. He never complained about the lack of LSD (and he tracks his GT4 regularly)
The following users liked this post:
AMGEZUS (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 03:53 PM

E46 M3
Originally Posted by ajs76
So I'll give you a few data points if it helps (I used to live in Denver)

1) I ran an e36 M3 with blizzaks and drove to the mountains every weekend with 0 issues
2) I ran my 911 turbo with an open diff and REALLY bad awd and even it was fine in the snow. Note...this had snow tires for sure
3) I have summer tires on my E63 and drove it in 6 inches of snow/slush to the airport in Seattle. It was a bit dicey, but it could make it up small hills etc. With proper tires (read...actual snows) I would be SHOCKED if this car wasn't good enough for you unless you live like on the top of an unpaved road in Gunnison or something.

This summer I might hit a HPDE as well because shoot, why not right? Getting a diff just for that event seemed crazy. My friend has tracked his non-S multiple times and passed a lot of pretty solid cars on the track. He never complained about the lack of LSD (and he tracks his GT4 regularly)

That's super helpful info. I might hit up some HPDEs more than that if/when I sell my M3... but it's going to be hard to part with that car. Definitely not going to be a regular thing- going on a road course. I really had a fear of getting into a non-S, having grip issues, then spending as much for an S just to swap in a LSD and losing out on the re-sale (as it stands now).

Last edited by AMGEZUS; 05-18-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Any issues in snow? Going to be running this in Colorado. I have an S4 as a DD and haven't really had issues with an open diff, but it's not in the same class as an E63 power. Really love my M3, which is track only. I've read pretty much every thread on here regarding open vs. lsd and it seems like there aren't very many "happy with my open diff" comments. Could just be that those people aren't voicing an opinion?
I can't comment about snow since I live in Phoenix but I'd be surprised if anyone complained about our open diff with any type of occasional track use. I think you'll run into a few other variables to worry about before you find the diff becomes the limiting factor.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 581 Likes on 334 Posts
19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5
You don't need an LSD, the 4matic cars have plenty of grip even tuned/dp'd and traction control off.